• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to crack out the new CGC cases safely
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Shoot! must have done something wrong...My Action Comics #1 9.8 blue label, not the reprint, just got shredded trying this technique out..oh well, it's just a comic. I still have my Detective Comics 27 in 9.8 white blue label..

Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea how best to crack these new slabs open. 

22 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I can open up old slabs in about 5 seconds. ;)

I can too, but prying them open always terrifies me just a bit. The long screwdriver technique is much more gentle. 

7 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I can too, but prying them open always terrifies me just a bit. The long screwdriver technique is much more gentle. 

I'm going to try that. I, too, get splintered slabs that will no longer crack along the seam. Seems like a solid technique, excepting the great care that must be taken not to gouge the comic through the inner well.

30 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm going to try that. I, too, get splintered slabs that will no longer crack along the seam. Seems like a solid technique, excepting the great care that must be taken not to gouge the comic through the inner well.

It’s actually easier than it looks to do it safely, at least in my limited experience. If you twist the screwdriver as soon as you insert it in the top seam to open up some room it’s quite easy to avoid the inner well. 

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I can open up old slabs in about 5 seconds. ;)

Takes me about 10 seconds but I like to maintain the posts, free of cracks. I especially enjoy the first generation inner wells that literally peel off, no cutting required.

3 hours ago, mysterio said:

It’s actually easier than it looks to do it safely, at least in my limited experience. If you twist the screwdriver as soon as you insert it in the top seam to open up some room it’s quite easy to avoid the inner well. 

I've cracked about 30, so I will definitely try the screwdriver method. They're a pain in the butt, for sure.

3 hours ago, mysterio said:
3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Takes me about 10 seconds but I like to maintain the posts, free of cracks. I especially enjoy the first generation inner wells that literally peel off, no cutting required.

Those were my favorite too. Cutting the inner well can be nerve wracking. 

Especially when the damn seal is 1/64" away from the book. :pullhair: