• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action comic 8 error on ebay

29 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

There's a really bad label error on an "Action Comics 8" on ebay.

I'm not going to post a link since it's a voldy label, but if you want to see a major error on a label do a search for Coverless Action 8.

Can you spot the error?

I'm shocked Dacardworld didn't catch it.

Not my area of expertise, but do I take it that it's not number 8?

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

With the Tank on the first page it look's like #17 and I don't agree with the white pages

Am I missing something?  Looks like issue 8 to me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-8-1939-CBCS-3-0-GVG-MR-WHITE-pgs-Early-Superman-Scarce-/253162906508?hash=item3af1af638c:g:sKgAAOSwiylW~yZv

17 hours ago, gadzukes said:

^^

I'm pretty shocked that they made that mistake.

Out of interest, is there a significant difference in value or desirability between issues 8 and 9?

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm trying to get you to do the work for me! :baiting:

In Dave and Adams Possible defense, I doubt they even bothered to look that closely at it.  It may be a consignment book and considering their volume with much emphasis on sports cards and possibly more activity through their own website, it may just be another item and they just listed based on the label (all my speculation, of course).  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-8-CBCS-0-3-W-Coverless-/391829192454?hash=item5b3ad6ff06:g:ChgAAOSwjk9ZVpmp

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by telerites

17 minutes ago, telerites said:

In Dave and Adams Possible defense, I doubt they even bothered to look that closely at it.  It may be a consignment book and considering their volume with much emphasis on sports cards and possibly more activity through their own website, it may just be another item and they just listed based on the label (all my speculation, of course).  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-8-CBCS-0-3-W-Coverless-/391829192454?hash=item5b3ad6ff06:g:ChgAAOSwjk9ZVpmp

Hide contents

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks.  I think your analysis is probably accurate.

26 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Out of interest, is there a significant difference in value or desirability between issues 8 and 9?

I think the cover to 8 is much more appealing than the cover to 9.  For coverless copies, I don't know ... I would probably still prefer an 8 because it's an earlier number. For what it's worth, the CGC census lists 14 blue label 8s vs. 12 blue label 9s.  

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
40 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I think the cover to 8 is much more appealing than the cover to 9.  For coverless copies, I don't know ... I would probably still prefer an 8 because it's an earlier number. For what it's worth, the CGC census lists 14 blue label 8s vs. 12 blue label 9s.  

Cheers @Sqeggs. It makes you wonder what an owners recourse would be if they sold a wrongly identified CGC book 'cheaply' in good faith, only to find out later that the book it actually was was of much greater value hm

21 hours ago, gadzukes said:

There's a really bad label error on an "Action Comics 8" on ebay.

I'm not going to post a link since it's a voldy label, but if you want to see a major error on a label do a search for Coverless Action 8.

Can you spot the error?

I'm shocked Dacardworld didn't catch it.

No error, you are incorrect. This is a coverless Action Comics #8. If you read the 1st page visible, the story correlates to the story title "Superman in the Slums" listed on GCD.

Action Comics #17 has the story title "The Return of the Ultra-Humanite".

6 minutes ago, Timely said:

No error, you are incorrect. This is a coverless Action Comics #8. If you read the 1st page visible, the story correlates to the story title "Superman in the Slums" listed on GCD.

Maybe the confusion comes in (it confused me, which happens pretty often!) because the Action 9 story is actually "Wanted: Superman" while the "Superman in the Slums" story is in Action 8.  Of course, these stories were originally untitled and these are titles GCD (or somebody) assigned them.

4 hours ago, Timely said:

I think you are wrong that it is not an error.

The real debate is between Action 8 and 9.  "Wanted Superman" from Action 9 is described by the GCD thusly:  "Superman, having torn down a slum area so that newer, more modern apartments could be built, is labeled as a crook by the Chief of Police, who assigns Detective Reilly (better known as "100% Reilly" because he always gets his man) to bring the Man of Tomorrow in."

That fits the first page of the coverless comic being sold on eBay talked about in the OP.  I cannot link it because the address uses the dreaded four letter name of a competitor.  Search "Action 8 coverless" and you will two graded copies pop up.

The first page of the other coverless Action 8 on eBay fits the GCD description of the first story in Action 8 that "Superman decides to get involved in a case involving wayward boys being used by a petty criminal, who uses the boys to steal items from wealthy people that he can sell for quick cash...all at their expense" :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1938-DC-8-Coverless-0-3-/311979318660?hash=item48a36a9d84:g:NpgAAOSwi7hZ3~nW

Edited by sfcityduck