• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone explain this DC Metal?

8 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Chiefs1313 said:

I read a bunch of DC books, but couldn't get into the Metal prologue. Now some of the Metal characters are bleeding over into the ongoing titles; can someone give me a high level of what's going on?

I'm lost on this as well but I saw this in one of the books that may help it make more sense.  It won't help with your question but at least there is some sort of reading order.

Dark Nights - Metal reading list.jpg

I’m enjoying this story arc. My synopsis so far would be that these writers have imagined a set of “nightmare” Batman’s that want to destroy Batman and his world...there’s a powerful Metal that has control over the multiverse...Real Batman is M.I.A. (Looking for the mysterious metal?) and the Justice League are all having some very W T F moments with these evil Batmen... it has its moments of grandeur but it’s a lot of fun to see all these new evil interpretations and see some DC characters that don’t get a lot of page time be included. 

4 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I’m enjoying this story arc. My synopsis so far would be that these writers have imagined a set of “nightmare” Batman’s that want to destroy Batman and his world...there’s a powerful Metal that has control over the multiverse...Real Batman is M.I.A. (Looking for the mysterious metal?) and the Justice League are all having some very W T F moments with these evil Batmen... it has its moments of grandeur but it’s a lot of fun to see all these new evil interpretations and see some DC characters that don’t get a lot of page time be included. 

Thank you. Your description makes me  wish I would have stuck with it, I just hated the first Metal book. 

1 hour ago, Chiefs1313 said:

Thank you. Your description makes me  wish I would have stuck with it, I just hated the first Metal book. 

You know I didn’t care much for the first either, but stayed on and the One Shots with the villains have been very entertaining. I can already tell this will be a Hardcover purchase for me.

On 10/19/2017 at 4:46 PM, Chiefs1313 said:

I second this. I've been collecting a few of the variants since there's been some pretty amazing covers coming out, but now I wish I'd been reading this whole story arc. Sounds pretty awesome.

My understanding is that Snyder is really pulling out all guns to solidify the Batman mythos.  Bruce Wayne (Batman) has no powers so why is he so important to the DC universe? Besides being rich and being one of the greatest detective it turns out he is about to be an unwilling avatar to an evil powerful being from the dark multiverse. The only way to gain access to and from the dark multiverse is through vibrations emitted by Nth metal. Yeah, that metal that's associated with Hawkman. There are 5 divine metals that are in tune with the dark multiverse. It's those metals and a human conduit that will allow the dark multiverse ruler access to the rest of the multiverse. The evil being's name is Barbatos. He has an army of dark multiverse Batman-like characters serving as his generals. Its not actually the Batman aspect that attracts Barbatos, its the name "Wayne" which has a root origin in the word "wagon" as in a vessel or transport for Barbatos. Hawkman, the Challengers of the Unknown and some other JLA members ripped a hole open to the dark multiverse using Nth metal which let in Barbatos' dark Batman army. That's where all the stories stem from. Batman is hiding from everyone because either Barbatos wants him for some reason while Kendra and the Blackhawks in turn want to capture him to keep him away from Barbatos.

Edited by kairos70