• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the most widely desired comic book for $100?
2 2

109 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It's a two day show so I've got to allow people to not be there to be eligible.  I'm assuming most buyers won't be around for the drawing on Sunday afternoon so I'm not too worried about people having to carry the item around.

I thought a Marvel Graphic Novel 4 CGC 8.0 would be cool since it's a magazine slab which people don't see much but at this point most lay people don't know much about the book.

I'd throw down on a ticket for that book, haha.  On a side note, what con is it?

13 minutes ago, crazyhips1 said:

Batman 357 

Not liking this one just because I think people would just shrug when they see the cover.  Hate to admit it I had to check to see who's 1st it was.

Edited by 1Cool

1 minute ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I'd throw down on a ticket for that book, haha.  On a side note, what con is it?

Akron Comic Con in a couple weeks.  If it works I may be enticed into trying it at the Cleveland Wizard show in March since I'm intrigued about the half booths (10'x5') for $550.

4 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Not a bad idea but I'm scared people will see the voucher and not get that wow response compared to having a cool item up for grabs.  I know it's the same since they can pick whatever they want but I find people like to see what they are winning and not wanting to try too hard to pick something out (especially people who don't have a huge collection or are pretty picky in what they get since they have a ton of stuff already).

what I like about the voucher is it opens up other possibilities.

Maybe a buyer decides to buy that $400 book because they have $50 off.

The "wow" factor only works if the buyer is interested. Example: The MGN 4 CGC 8.0 is meh to me.

Definitely an interesting discussion!

14 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Akron Comic Con in a couple weeks.  If it works I may be enticed into trying it at the Cleveland Wizard show in March since I'm intrigued about the half booths (10'x5') for $550.

Hmm.  Might have to check that out.  

13 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

what I like about the voucher is it opens up other possibilities.

Maybe a buyer decides to buy that $400 book because they have $50 off.

The "wow" factor only works if the buyer is interested. Example: The MGN 4 CGC 8.0 is meh to me.

Definitely an interesting discussion!

I like the voucher also since who know what people could pick - maybe 100 dollar books but I'm still on the fence in terms of the wow factor of showing a couple vouchers as a prize.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I like the voucher also since who know what people could pick - maybe 100 dollar books but I'm still on the fence in terms of the wow factor of showing a couple vouchers as a prize.

Just need to make a very eye catching sign. And yes the winner may choose a bunch of dollar books, some trades, who knows?

The real question here is will you see an increase in sales because of your offer or will the results be the same as if you didn't offer the give-away?

Edited by Artboy99

Wolverine Limited Series #1. Slabbed 9.4 might be just below that. Slabbed 9.6 is a bit higher. Yes, there are tons of them out there, but they seem to keep increasing in value slowly, but steadily.

If you're just thinking unslabbed, I would think those grades would still be enticing.

31 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Just need to make a very eye catching sign. And yes the winner may choose a bunch of dollar books, some trades, who knows?

The real question here is will you see an increase in sales because of your offer or will the results be the same as if you didn't offer the give-away?

Yep - it will be interesting to see if it actually makes people stop and grab some extra books.  I wanted to try it last year but chickened out.

I was thinking an AH! Adam Hughes sig, I've picked up several for under $100. You could pick from Catwoman, Wonder Woman, or a Tomb Raider.

It'd be a sig, the cover might attract those who would spend extra at a chance to win it. It's going to be hard to gauge what book will incite a "extra" $20 buy and not just a regular buyer. I'd say a "good-girl" cover would do the trick lol but it also might turn-off your more dedicated buyer as they may look at it as not a "key" or more of a "gimmick" 

but it's a thought :) 

15 minutes ago, romanheart said:

Yes, but it won't be 9.8

Anything key-worthy seems to be spiking. I'm not sure most books can stay below $100 for much longer.

No, of course it wouldn't.   But a decent raw copy would be fine for most collectors. 

41 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Wolverine Limited Series #1. Slabbed 9.4 might be just below that. Slabbed 9.6 is a bit higher. Yes, there are tons of them out there, but they seem to keep increasing in value slowly, but steadily.

If you're just thinking unslabbed, I would think those grades would still be enticing.

Kind of like this idea since a slabbed copy looks sharp.  Iconic covers like this and IH 340 would definitely draw in people's eyes when they see it.

3 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

No, of course it wouldn't.   But a decent raw copy would be fine for most collectors. 

I think I've got 5 nice copies right now so that would be a good one. 

I'd love to offer a NM 98 (1st on my list) but finding any copy for $100 would be tough.

I don't think I'd go for a SLAB.  Not enough people want or like those.

I think I'd go for either the best NM 98, or ASM 300 I can get, maybe with clean-ish front but jacked back.  My third choices would be NM87 or Xmen 266.  OR MAYBE put up all four of them for the purpose of display and let the winner choose.  That way you only give away one but all four draw attention. 

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Agree with this - key question is whether the give-away ends up getting you more sales than the "cost" of the give-away? No way to know for sure of course, but I do think to minimize your risk, best thing is to "minimize the cost" of the give-away to yourself (while still making it interesting / valuable to the buyer). Given that, might make sense to put up something that you have multiple copies of, and you think may not realistically have sold for awhile (given you have multiple copies), but has value to the buyer.

For example, the best "customer freebies" (from store standpoint) are those where value to buyer (ie. what they would pay to buy it) is significantly more than cost (random example: owner of subway gives you a free cookie because you're such a good customer - value to customer is $2, cost to business is basically 0 (especially when you consider they probably wouldn't sell out of that cookie that day and it would go to waste).

If the book has broad appeal that would be best but I'd probably choose a book based on my inventory if I was a seller- if you've got a lot of BA/CA X-men books sitting in $3/5/10/20 dollar boxes then offering a nice 137 or 141 makes the most sense.  If you can't pinpoint related inventory then try to choose a key that relates to slower moving inventory that you've been lugging around for a while.