• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the most widely desired comic book for $100?
2 2

109 posts in this topic

What comic book would you pick that would be most desired by the general public and collectors?  I'm considering actually trying out a raffle of a $100 book at an upcoming comic con ($20 purchase would get you a raffle ticket) but still undecided on what book to offer up?  I'd love to offer a Hulk 181 or ASM 129 but the size of the Con just does not justify that kind of expense.  Beater BA 12?  Low grade SS 1?  In a nut shell - what $100 comic book do you think would have the most wow factor to the general Con goer?  

Edited by 1Cool

11 minutes ago, romanheart said:

Hmm, maybe ASM 361 in NM or MOS 17 9.8

Not sure if those would have a big wow factor.  My thought is the general public may stop to buy $20 in dollar books if they could get a known 1st appearance or hot book.  ASM 361 is hot right now with collectors but not sure if any lay people will be impressed with a 1st Carnage but I could be wrong.  There are a ton of books that would be great but most of those are in the $200 - $300 range.

13 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Can't answer the question, but I wouldn't go the beater route myself if I'm only limited to $100.  Pick up something with nice eye appeal and at least mid to high grade. 

Tough to find a known book in mid/high grade for $100.  I personally don't like the show but maybe Rick on Morty book?

Or how about a really nice trade hardcover or two?  Many of DC's Absolute Editions are great for any collector or fan of comic books.  Morrison's Batman and Robin quickly comes to mind.  Others, JLA: Identity Crisis, Hush, Batman: Long Halloween, Kingdom Com, etc..

This is difficult to answer.  Of the items mentioned a nice shape ASM 361 seems the best. Not a NM, but a 9.0 type of copy.

Some other points to consider:

1. Many collectors/ buyers may already have the book you offer and it won't interest them/ motivate them to make that purchase to enter. As a comic collector an ASM 361 interests me, but as you mentioned would it interest the lay person? Probably not. That said what would interest the lay person? Probably nothing.

2. There is some risk here as well: I have done this before, unfortunately the show was not as busy as anticipated and I ended up with only 3 entrants for my prize.  I would rather have just sold it than give it away to someone that bought $20.

Edited by Artboy99

@romanheart beat me to it as ASM 361 was my first thought.  But, maybe you're right @1Cool about the maybe not a whole lot of interest to the majority of people.  I do kind of like the idea of doing a trade or hardback lot as @Brian48 suggested.  Maybe an Omnibus?  Honestly, I'm not really sure.  This is a tough one. 

I think ASM 361 is a good choice.

How about ASM 316 (first Venom Cover)?   Or maybe Hulk 340 (not sure what those run raw these days)?   Both memorable covers with well known characters.

Thor 337?   It's in that neighborhood (and, who knows, maybe BetaRay Bill will appear in Ragnarok).  

Maybe something related to the CW shows?  The "new" Flash series with the 1st Zoom (Turner cover; can't recall the book).  

9 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

@romanheart beat me to it as ASM 361 was my first thought.  But, maybe you're right @1Cool about the maybe not a whole lot of interest to the majority of people.  I do kind of like the idea of doing a trade or hardback lot as @Brian48 suggested.  Maybe an Omnibus?  Honestly, I'm not really sure.  This is a tough one. 

I don't think there is a pick that will appeal to everyone.

The trade or hardback lot wouldn't interest me, neither would the large and heavy to carry omnibus.

How about a voucher that gives the winner booth credit? Win $100.00 worth of whatever they want from your booth? Winner announced an hour before the show closes, winner must pick their items before show ends. This would work for a single day show.

14 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

The trade or hardback lot wouldn't interest me, neither would the large and heavy to carry omnibus.

How about a voucher that gives the winner booth credit? Win $100.00 worth of whatever they want from your booth? Winner announced an hour before the show closes, winner must pick their items before show ends. This would work for a single day show.

That's true about the omnibus.  I actually really like the idea about the $100.00 credit.  

1 hour ago, Brian48 said:

Or how about a really nice trade hardcover or two?  Many of DC's Absolute Editions are great for any collector or fan of comic books.  Morrison's Batman and Robin quickly comes to mind.  Others, JLA: Identity Crisis, Hush, Batman: Long Halloween, Kingdom Com, etc..

Omnibus is a great idea since I'd think readers would get excited about so much reading material.  Collectors would see it as a way to get a complete set off their list and the lay person just sees a huge comic book they could win.  Liking that one since I'd probably be able to give away two of them for $100 if bought properly.

Edited by 1Cool

44 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

This is difficult to answer.  Of the items mentioned a nice shape ASM 361 seems the best. Not a NM, but a 9.0 type of copy.

Some other points to consider:

1. Many collectors/ buyers may already have the book you offer and it won't interest them/ motivate them to make that purchase to enter. As a comic collector an ASM 361 interests me, but as you mentioned would it interest the lay person? Probably not. That said what would interest the lay person? Probably nothing.

2. There is some risk here as well: I have done this before, unfortunately the show was not as busy as anticipated and I ended up with only 3 entrants for my prize.  I would rather have just sold it than give it away to someone that bought $20.

I agree - its been bothering me all week.  I did terribly at this upcoming Con so I'm game for trying something new and if that does not help then it's off the list.  It's only $250 for a two day con so the added $100 is not too big a risk.

Edited by 1Cool

24 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I don't think there is a pick that will appeal to everyone.

It's a two day show so I've got to allow people to not be there to be eligible.  I'm assuming most buyers won't be around for the drawing on Sunday afternoon so I'm not too worried about people having to carry the item around.

I thought a Marvel Graphic Novel 4 CGC 8.0 would be cool since it's a magazine slab which people don't see much but at this point most lay people don't know much about the book.

Just now, 1Cool said:

It's a two day show so I've got to allow people to not be there to be eligible.  I'm assuming most buyers won't be around for the drawing on Sunday afternoon so I'm not too worried about people having to carry the item around.

I thought a Marvel Graphic Novel 4 CGC 8.0 would be cool since it's a magazine slab which people don't see much but at this point most lay people don't know much about the book.

How about a $50 voucher drawn each day?

Just now, Artboy99 said:

How about a $50 voucher drawn each day?

Not a bad idea but I'm scared people will see the voucher and not get that wow response compared to having a cool item up for grabs.  I know it's the same since they can pick whatever they want but I find people like to see what they are winning and not wanting to try too hard to pick something out (especially people who don't have a huge collection or are pretty picky in what they get since they have a ton of stuff already).