• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIPPED OFF ON EBAY..HOW TO AVOID IT!
3 3

70 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Don't assume #3 is always fake transactions either.  In my 15 years of buying there were several times I arranged locally to pick up an item the same day I paid for it.  You can find nearby listings by sorting search results by distance.  

I will add my thoughts on safely selling:

You cannot control who bids on your items so give up on putting things like "no bidders below x feedback".  it is now against ebay rules and your listings will be cancelled.  

Anytime someone buys from you that you are uncertain of/do not know, take pictures of the item during and after packing the box, ALWAYS PAY FOR SIGNATURE CONFIRM and tracking.  This along with the pictures will be your only defense against false chargeback/not-received claims.

Is this against eBay rules? Can't you build right into your listing who can and cannot see your posts? Damn. Is the exclusion part of the listing template gone now?

3 hours ago, 90sChild said:

You cannot control who bids on your items so give up on putting things like "no bidders below x feedback".  it is now against ebay rules and your listings will be cancelled.  

Is this so?  I put this caveat in all my sales listings and haven't had one puller yet.  When did this go into effect?

On 10/21/2017 at 12:52 PM, drotto said:

Then where is it OK to start trusting a seller?  I have about a 140 rating.  I started where everyone else does, and like most have about a 2/3 return on my feedback, so that number should really be higher.  Everyone must start at nothing, so when do you start trusting a seller? Granted most of what I have sold is in the $75 to $150 rang but have a few sales well above that.

This is why I'd much prefer to sell on the boards, but alas, what I've got has little appeal here.  I don't have much out of your range either, as most of my pricier stuff got stolen, but I don't have any desire to buy anything on ebay and I'm just starting to set up my account on ebay.  Sucks that both buyers and sellers have to beware, and they only way to get started is if someone 'takes a chance' buying or selling from/to you

6 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Don't assume #3 is always fake transactions either.  In my 15 years of buying there were several times I arranged locally to pick up an item the same day I paid for it.  You can find nearby listings by sorting search results by distance.  

I will add my thoughts on safely selling:

Anytime someone buys from you that you are uncertain of/do not know, take pictures of the item during and after packing the box, ALWAYS PAY FOR SIGNATURE CONFIRM and tracking.  This along with the pictures will be your only defense against false chargeback/not-received claims.

Sounds reasonable, but I personally have never met up locally for an ebay purchase. Meetups sounds more like craiglist to me. I go to local comic stores when I can though. I'm glad you feel comfortable with that. Having a long standing seller history is also a solid defense for chargeback/not-received claims. I was sent an empty box once but that seller had very few feedbacks and I missed the red flags I should have checked for back then because I did not know how to look for them, If you feel like it's risky there's always another seller with hundreds of positve feedbacks on ebay selling the same book sooner or later.

17 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

This is why I'd much prefer to sell on the boards, but alas, what I've got has little appeal here.  I don't have much out of your range either, as most of my pricier stuff got stolen, but I don't have any desire to buy anything on ebay and I'm just starting to set up my account on ebay.  Sucks that both buyers and sellers have to beware, and they only way to get started is if someone 'takes a chance' buying or selling from/to you

I agree ,I'm tired of all the ebay hassle and I guess comic sales are not important enough for ebay to really make it a secure marketplace. Seems like all their money is going into Marketing these days and adding video ads to the bottom of auction pages (annoying and makes my screen jump). I mostly buy but I did sell stuff (mostly other stuff than comics). I don't know how to sell a comic on the boards but I'd like to try it.Is there a how to for first timers? I recently sold a set of books at one of my favorite local comic shops and made just as much as I would have on ebay when only getting 60% of the sale.(made me super happy).

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, Artboy99 said:

Thanks for the information.

Can you also do one as the seller and give your perspective/ ideas on How to Not Get Ripped Off on Ebay as a Seller?

Did you see the movie War Games?  It's kind of like that.

58 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Did you see the movie War Games?  It's kind of like that.

I'm just focusing on buyer protection right now....But I get your issues with "the game"...to many weasels out there trying to squeeze every buck they can out of people. I'd be happy to help you with any specific issues when they come up.Feel free to message me on here any time.I might have good advice?

1 hour ago, Pizzafist said:

I agree ,I'm tired of all the ebay hassle and I guess comic sales are not important enough for ebay to really make it a secure marketplace. Seems like all their money is going into Marketing these days and adding video ads to the bottom of auction pages (annoying and makes my screen jump). I mostly buy but I did sell stuff (mostly other stuff than comics). I don't know how to sell a comic on the boards but I'd like to try it.Is there a how to for first timers? I recently sold a set of books at one of my favorite local comic shops and made just as much as I would have on ebay when only getting 60% of the sale.(made me super happy).

You can sell in the marketplace.  There are forums for Modern/Copper and for Bronze/Silver/Golden.  There's no first timers guide per se, but there is a guidelines post for requirements https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/78739-usage-guidelines-read-before-posting/     .I learned by copying.  Here's an old thread of mine for reference: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/416591-closed-uncanny-x-men-266-raw-copy-sold/

Start yourself a kudos thread as well so people can vouch for you after a successful sale.

Edited by SteppinRazor

7 hours ago, RidersRohan said:

Is this against eBay rules? Can't you build right into your listing who can and cannot see your posts? Damn. Is the exclusion part of the listing template gone now?

6 hours ago, Mystafo said:

Is this so?  I put this caveat in all my sales listings and haven't had one puller yet.  When did this go into effect?

You can still set restrictions but I think they are not strict enough.  0 feedback buyers can't be restricted.  Here's all the info.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

At worst, I might get the attention of another bidder (if it's legit).  At best, I'll save myself the potential headache (if it's a fraud/resto).

I'm not good at spotting resto, but I'm wondering what you guys think of this book?  The seller's name didn't pop up in the eBay thread, but the fact that it's a big book at a currently low price makes me leery.  The fact that it only has 10 bids, of which 4 are from the same user makes me curious if someone is shill bidding just to get the price up.  I sent a message asking if the book was restored and was told by the seller that it wasn't, but it's always best to be cautious.  So what say the community?  From the few spotty images, is there anything that jumps out as resto or would this be worth bidding on?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-Comics-IRON-MAN-55-1st-Appearance-THANOS-ULTRA-HIGH-GRADE-9-0-9-2/263273164969?hash=item3d4c4db0a9:g:LiIAAOSwTO9Z6r54

I would bid a large amount to bid first and if I had to bid larger later I would, especially if I couldn't wait and bid too early in the game.

If your worry about shill, then snipe and :wishluck:

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't see anything as far as resto, but with 45 watchers, they might be sniping or people are putting high max bids and that is why there is 10 bids and already at $710. 

Weird, the number of people watching doesn't show up for me.  Thanks for the extra set of eyes on this.

Edited by ExNihilo

On 10/19/2017 at 1:29 PM, revat said:

a lot of people take the risk thinking paypal protect them.  and it some cases they do.  but not in every instance. 

What is the basis for impugning this wolverine2014 seller? I understand he doesn't have a vast track record, but a pgx 9.4 asm 300 is not a huge book

On 10/23/2017 at 4:09 PM, Mmehdy said:

Just don't buy for scam bay ..I mean e-bay...there are too many good comic book dealers and auction houses out there with plenty of material which you are sure to get.

Scam bay haha  !! that is a good one , i have been pretty lucky so far but i stay away from high $$ items

1 hour ago, the blob said:

What is the basis for impugning this wolverine2014 seller? I understand he doesn't have a vast track record, but a pgx 9.4 asm 300 is not a huge book

I don't know who that seller is.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

20 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

At worst, I might get the attention of another bidder (if it's legit).  At best, I'll save myself the potential headache (if it's a fraud/resto).

I'm not good at spotting resto, but I'm wondering what you guys think of this book?  The seller's name didn't pop up in the eBay thread, but the fact that it's a big book at a currently low price makes me leery.  The fact that it only has 10 bids, of which 4 are from the same user makes me curious if someone is shill bidding just to get the price up.  I sent a message asking if the book was restored and was told by the seller that it wasn't, but it's always best to be cautious.  So what say the community?  From the few spotty images, is there anything that jumps out as resto or would this be worth bidding on?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-Comics-IRON-MAN-55-1st-Appearance-THANOS-ULTRA-HIGH-GRADE-9-0-9-2/263273164969?hash=item3d4c4db0a9:g:LiIAAOSwTO9Z6r54

never buy raw books on ebay unless you know the seller, in which case, why would you use ebay? buying raw there is like begging to get a raw deal. that's what cons and LBS are for. 

On 10/23/2017 at 1:09 PM, Mmehdy said:

Just don't buy for scam bay ..I mean e-bay...there are too many good comic book dealers and auction houses out there with plenty of material which you are sure to get.

There are plenty of sellers on ebay I'd rather buy raw books from than from some major dealers.