• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Byrne at NYCC 2017?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

"This comic was signed by John Byrne (Cover Artist) at New York Comic Con 2017"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-SIGNED-John-Byrne-Trimpe-1st-Wolverine-Comic-Marvel-Old-Lot-/122758810988?hash=item1c94fecd6c:g:Wu8AAOSwIJlZ5lrL

Is this another PGX authenticated Ditko, or was Byrne actually there??

He probably signed the book for Ryan Elliott, who can witness his own submission to PGX. Byrne likely didn't realize he was signing a book that was going to be slabbed.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

He probably signed the book for Ryan Elliott, who can witness his own submission to PGX. Byrne likely didn't realize he was signing a book that was going to be slabbed.

There's a guy across the street who witnessed his own books and is going to try to get them slabbed. I hope they do the right thing and honor JB's wishes.

6 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

There's a guy across the street who witnessed his own books and is going to try to get them slabbed. I hope they do the right thing and honor JB's wishes.

I would bet the matter will end up in front of someone in a black robe if they don't.

Edited by mattn792

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

I would bet the matter will end up in front of a guy in a black robe if they don't.

Only if JB knows about it. I know for a fact that he was aware that people were going to try and get books witnessed and steps were taken by IDW.

But when the other company allows people to witness their own books, it's probably not as easy to spot.

Just now, Logan510 said:

Only if JB knows about it. I know for a fact that he was aware that people were going to try and get books witnessed and steps were taken by IDW.

But when the other company allows people to witness their own books, it's probably not as easy to spot.

You have to figure some of them will end up on the market in the near future.  Word will spread.

The book shown in that eBay listing is (obviously) not...

Incredible Hulk 181 SIGNED John Byrne Trimpe 1st Wolverine Comic Marvel Old Lot

No mention in the listing that it's a 1986 reprint, either.

What the hell is wrong with people?  Do they really think no-one will notice?

Edited by jools&jim

18 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Hey @VintageComics  I know the basics about PGX's reputation over the years, but am I correct to think that it's a little nuts to be allowed to witness your own books? 

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Hey @VintageComics  I know the basics about PGX's reputation over the years, but am I correct to think that it's a little nuts to be allowed to witness your own books? 

Well, not if you're an authorized witness for a company that has a good reputation.

Each company has witnesses (with varying rules, albeit) but the fact that PGX has a spotty history AND Ryan Elliott / Terence Leder also has an even spottier one is a different story. I believe at one point Ryan was grading his own books at PGX although that is apparently no longer happening.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Each company has witnesses (with varying rules, albeit) but the fact that PGX has a spotty history AND Ryan Elliott / Terence Leder also has an even spottier one is a different story. I believe at one point Ryan was grading his own books at PGX although that is apparently no longer happening.

It is still shocking to me that people still submit books to them.  Every once in awhile, I'll stumble upon a YouTube video where someone claims that PGX is superior to the competition.  :facepalm: