• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a single page the minimum amount of a comic that CGC would accept for slabbing?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

How would CGC encapsulate a single panel ? We are talking smaller than a sports card here.

How would they authenticate it ? CGC has expertise in many things but wouldn't we be talking about determining the age of the paper itself, as well as the ink = well beyond their expertise. They are not running a science lab down there.

Good points Bob.  How do you think they did it with the single pages? If I sent in a single ASM #1 page, how would they know if it came from ASM #1 or the golden record reprint from 1966? The reasonable conclusion is that CGC would need to receive the whole book to verify it and then separate it into pages themselves, or be present to verify the submitter separating the pages. 

So if I sent in an AF15, complete enough to verify, could I then ask them to split it into separate pages and to then split certain pages into single panels, e.g. the first suit apperance panel etc?

How far will CGC go in legitimising the separation of comics in this way? There must be a policy, as they have started the ball rolling already with their single page / coverless NG slabbed books. hm

@Bomber-Bob

Bob - re our posts above, CGC already have a method for encapsulating items smaller than a standard comic page - here's an example. It's easy to see how that could be a single panel:

59f0c402755e7_minicgc.PNG.ccf1a4dc229623a4ff4dc1b09895df15.PNG

10 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Good points Bob.  How do you think they did it with the single pages? If I sent in a single ASM #1 page, how would they know if it came from ASM #1 or the golden record reprint from 1966? The reasonable conclusion is that CGC would need to receive the whole book to verify it and then separate it into pages themselves, or be present to verify the submitter separating the pages. 

So if I sent in an AF15, complete enough to verify, could I then ask them to split it into separate pages and to then split certain pages into single panels, e.g. the first suit apperance panel etc?

How far will CGC go in legitimising the separation of comics in this way? There must be a policy, as they have started the ball rolling already with their single page / coverless NG slabbed books. hm

I never thought much about the graded single pages but I always assumed it was sent in whole and CGC would perform the separation. Maybe I am wrong. You are correct, they started the ball rolling and probably didn't see it going much farther. Maybe they would be open to encapsulating panels but I would think it would have to be sent in a whole page and they do the separation. Do you think there would be much of a market for an individual panel ? It would almost have to be an ultra key with a panel from the main story. The individual pages are commanding such good money it would be a gutsy move to chop it up. I'm warming up to the concept !

38 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I never thought much about the graded single pages but I always assumed it was sent in whole and CGC would perform the separation. Maybe I am wrong. You are correct, they started the ball rolling and probably didn't see it going much farther. Maybe they would be open to encapsulating panels but I would think it would have to be sent in a whole page and they do the separation. Do you think there would be much of a market for an individual panel ? It would almost have to be an ultra key with a panel from the main story. The individual pages are commanding such good money it would be a gutsy move to chop it up. I'm warming up to the concept !

It's difficult to gauge. If I'm honest, I would have speculated that individual pages wouldn't take off, but they have. So individual panels isn't something you can dismiss out of hand. 

There is part of me that is appalled at a comic being dismantled, however tatty. But on the flip, I like the idea of one book satisfying many collectors wishes by each of them having their own small part of the history they love, but may not be able to afford in full. And, of course, the seller may well get more money selling his book page by page than in full. So it's hard to begrudge the buyers and sellers especially where the comic was low grade to begin with.

It won't be long until someone will realise that a page with say, four Spidey panels, could be cut into four and, potentially, garner more money as a result. But it will only happen if CGC accept it I guess. It like to hear their rationale for not doing it, given that single pages are in.  

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, joeypost said:

IIRC someone had a piece of an Action #1 cover encapsulated many years ago. Not sure if it was CGC or not, but someone here may remember that happening.

I keep a database of comic covers for my screensaver (over 10,000 of them now) and grabbed this one when I saw the auction because it was so unique. I believe the story was that this was a guy in the military who kept the image in his footlocker because he liked it so much.

Action01CGCfc.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:25 PM, joeypost said:

IIRC someone had a piece of an Action #1 cover encapsulated many years ago. Not sure if it was CGC or not, but someone here may remember that happening.

If it's the one that is 1/2 of the cover (bottom half) missing the Letterhead of the title I ve seen pictures of it.  It's wicked cool.  Would love to own it.  I think CC had it for sale once.  What would that go for ?  50k?

On 10/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, shadroch said:

Is it? Is it better for 100 people to own a piece of an Action #1 or for one rich guy to own the entire thing? how many people can't afford an entire copy but could afford a piece of it?  Obviously no one will chop up a nice copy, but a coverless one, missing the centerfold? It just might be a more noble act to slice it and share it. 

Strange that most people don't object to someone  killing a cow or a pig for financial gain but draw the line at a comic?  Why not protect the tree that was destroyed just to make the comic?

I'll be waiting for your announcement when you chop up some of your rarer comics to share with others.

3 hours ago, mysterio said:

I keep a database of comic covers for my screensaver (over 10,000 of them now) and grabbed this one when I saw the auction because it was so unique. I believe the story was that this was a guy in the military who kept the image in his footlocker because he liked it so much.

Action01CGCfc.jpg

I bought a small lot of Captain Marvel covers off the internet, maybe from Metro, where someone cut off the title and only saved the art.  It went dirt cheap ( around $3 a cover) and I thought it was a great conversational piece. Haven't got around to it, but my plan was to mount them.

6 hours ago, mysterio said:

Action01CGCfc.jpg

Great, thanks for posting that @mysterio :headbang:

So we know three fifths of a page is acceptable. I wonder how they authenticated it as an original, given that it must have been submitted as it stands? Maybe that lab does exist!

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, Marwood & I said:

Great, thanks for posting that @mysterio :headbang:

So we know three fifths of a page is acceptable. I wonder how they authenticated it as an original, given that it must have been submitted as it stands? Maybe that lab does exist!

Happy to help!

I would imagine that authenticating 3/4ths of a front cover on a book like that wouldn't be that difficult. You've got a lot of contextual information from both sides that would be useful. It would be a completely different matter with the authentication of different panels, where the panels on the other side could still come from a reprint. From early Marvel Tales reprints even the paper would be of a similar vintage.

16 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Happy to help!

I would imagine that authenticating 3/4ths of a front cover on a book like that wouldn't be that difficult. You've got a lot of contextual information from both sides that would be useful. It would be a completely different matter with the authentication of different panels, where the panels on the other side could still come from a reprint. From early Marvel Tales reprints even the paper would be of a similar vintage.

Good point, the cover of a reprint title would likely have different inside cover content which would allow it or be more easily identified than an interior panel. I wonder how little of the Action #1 would have been the "sorry, no can do" point though? hm

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, mysterio said:

Action01CGCfc.jpg

I remember the auction.  I believe it sold for $6800