• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a single page the minimum amount of a comic that CGC would accept for slabbing?
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Just a general question, based on the single pages I've been seeing a lot of lately. I can't see a thread already, but the search engine isn't that reliable.

I'm wondering if CGC would slab less than a single page and, if so, how small can the piece be? Would they encapsulate a single panel appearance of Superman from #1 for instance? Surely that would warrant it? A Marvel Value Stamp from Hulk 181?

I'm intrigued.

hm

Has it already been done?

Edited by Marwood & I

21 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I guess for what purpose?  Is there any added value for CGC to grade a single panel?  Wouldn't it be better to get it matted/framed in museum glass and have it displayed that way?

Maybe, but could you not say that about any incomplete book? If CGC are prepared to slab less than a full comic, e.g. a coverless copy or a single page, then why not a quarter page?

The purpose could be either financial gain (pages sell well, why not half pages), the need to own a verified piece of history, or any of the same reasons people want to own the full comic I guess. 

At some point, it must become impossible to verify the exact version of something.  For example, if I take a panel of X-Men #1, how do I know if it came from cover A, B, C, D, or E?  Does a panel come from a first print or a 4th print?  But verification issues aside, I imagine CGC would be willing to slab whatever you ask of them.  If you're willing to give them money for something that's gonna receive a NG rating, who are they to argue?  I agree that key pages/panels make some sense considering the exploding cost of major keys.  And as a piece of art, there is probably a lot of appreciative value that can be attributed to a panel as opposed to a book.  Like if you have the panel with the first appearance of Superman, then you could look on your slab and tell people "this is the VERY first appearance of this character".  Maybe cameo appearances will start increasing in value (like Incredible Hulk 180).

I guess what I'm saying is that i'm sure it could be done if you're interested in verifying your page/panel, but as far as presentation of your art at that point, there are probably better alternatives that would look nicer.  2c

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Just a general question, based on the single pages I've been seeing a lot of lately. I can't see a thread already, but the search engine isn't that reliable.

I'm wondering if CGC would grade less than a single page and, if so, how small can the piece be? Would they grade a single panel appearance of Superman from #1 for instance? Surely that would warrant it? A Marvel Value Stamp from Hulk 181?

I'm intrigued.

hm

Has it already been done?

This is a terrible idea. Pure destruction of books for financial purposes only. 

Is it? Is it better for 100 people to own a piece of an Action #1 or for one rich guy to own the entire thing? how many people can't afford an entire copy but could afford a piece of it?  Obviously no one will chop up a nice copy, but a coverless one, missing the centerfold? It just might be a more noble act to slice it and share it. 

Strange that most people don't object to someone  killing a cow or a pig for financial gain but draw the line at a comic?  Why not protect the tree that was destroyed just to make the comic?

Edited by shadroch

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

Is it? Is it better for 100 people to own a piece of an Action #1 or for one rich guy to own the entire thing? how many people can't afford an entire copy but could afford a piece of it?  Obviously no one will chop up a nice copy, but a coverless one, missing the centerfold? It just might be a more noble act to slice it and share it. 

Strange that most people don't object to someone  killing a cow or a pig for financial gain but draw the line at a comic?  Why not protect the tree that was destroyed just to make the comic?

Awesome post Shadroch

A part of me feels like there must be some logic flaw here, but damn if I can find it.  It's also not without precedent in other hobbies. How many sports cards have been sold with a tiny piece of a game worn jersey? Same concept. One rich collector can own the entire jersey. But many more average collectors can own a small piece of that jersey. 

One of the things I have always liked about comic book collecting is that it is - for the most part - a very "democratic" hobby. Sure.... rich collectors get to own the very best books.  But even rich collectors recognize the inherent appeal and collectibility of a lot of inexpensive books. 

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

I think taking a coverless book and selling off the individual pages is cool and I acknowledge your point that it gives more collectors a chance to own a 'piece'. However, chopping up the individual pages into panels seems to be taking this sharing concept too far. None of this is good samaritan motivated anyway. It's ironic that comic books started out as a compilation of comic strips. We're getting back to our roots here.

Interesting replies so far. But still no answer to my question - will CGC slab less than a page? Have they already, or is a single page the least we are aware of?

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Interesting replies so far. But still no answer to my question - will CGC slab less than a page? Have they already, or is a single page the least we are aware of?

Hello @Gemma, is this something you could confirm please? Happy for you to move this to "Ask CGC" if it's not your usual territory :)

11 minutes ago, ThatPovGuy said:

To me the only logic flaw is a cow, pig or tree can reproduce itself but a comic can't.

Then it's simply not trying hard enough @ThatPovGuy!

No word from Gemma. Will we ever know...... :sorry:

I've seen scrap books of cut out character images including flash from showcase 4

slabbing those would be interesting but I'm not sure any real value in doing so.  I could see panels of key issues like action 1 but how far do you break it down to the point any real comic book intrinsic value remains.

1 minute ago, Comicdey said:

I've seen scrap books of cut out character images including flash from showcase 4

slabbing those would be interesting but I'm not sure any real value in doing so.  I could see panels of key issues like action 1 but how far do you break it down to the point any real comic book intrinsic value remains.

Indeed. I just find it an interesting question. At some point, CGC staff would have come together to agree whether they would grade a single page. They clearly decided that they would and, in doing so, 'legitimised' the action. Would they do the same for half a page, a quarter or less? Have they already decided, or has the possibility not yet been considered? I asked a different question of CGC in the 'Ask CGC' section of the boards recently and they kindly deleted it. So I'm not inclined to raise this there, as they don't seem that interested in responding to their members. 

So unless anyone has a graded half page (or less) to share, we may never know!

They are probably not thinking they want to advance the cause of cutting up issues.

if I had an original AF15 stripped logo to sell, having it slabbed might make a buyer more comfortable in grabbing it for a restoration project but I don't really think we need cgc to authenticate any and all things comic related ?

2 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

They are probably not thinking they want to advance the cause of cutting up issues.

Too late!

2 minutes ago, Comicdey said:

if I had an original AF15 stripped logo to sell, having it slabbed might make a buyer more comfortable in grabbing it for a restoration project but I don't really think we need cgc to authenticate any and all things comic related ?

Yep, I agree.

But do they.......?

How would CGC encapsulate a single panel ? We are talking smaller than a sports card here.

How would they authenticate it ? CGC has expertise in many things but wouldn't we be talking about determining the age of the paper itself, as well as the ink = well beyond their expertise. They are not running a science lab down there.

8 hours ago, joeypost said:

IIRC someone had a piece of an Action #1 cover encapsulated many years ago. Not sure if it was CGC or not, but someone here may remember that happening.

That would be nice to see.