• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phantom Buyers

27 posts in this topic

A fellow CAF member reached out to me about a few pages of art. I gave them a very fair bundle price which they accepted. They replied saying its a deal and asked about 2 additional pieces. I let them know those 2 were not for sale but listed an additional few pieces that I would consider letting go of with prices included.

A week has gone by and there has been no response. I know it was only a verbal yes but if you changed your mind, isn't a reply common courtesy either way?

44 minutes ago, dirtymartini1 said:

A fellow CAF member reached out to me about a few pages of art. I gave them a very fair bundle price which they accepted. They replied saying its a deal and asked about 2 additional pieces. I let them know those 2 were not for sale but listed an additional few pieces that I would consider letting go of with prices included.

A week has gone by and there has been no response. I know it was only a verbal yes but if you changed your mind, isn't a reply common courtesy either way?

Well, you've got a deal on the original pages, that sounds certain. And emails are writings, they can form a contract. They don't count as simply verbal.

1 hour ago, dirtymartini1 said:

To be fair, it does take some time to line up buyers for art that you don't yet own but plan to flip. 

I kid, I kid--hopefully something just came up for the potential buyer.  I hope this deal works out.

1 hour ago, Lee B. said:

To be fair, it does take some time to line up buyers for art that you don't yet own but plan to flip. 

I kid, I kid--hopefully something just came up for the potential buyer.  I hope this deal works out.

:headbang:

2 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

I think it depends on the total amount. If it's a large sum, I'd give more leeway I believe. Personally, I would have updated you immediately, and if the sum is smaller, I almost always pay on the same day. Some people are just not solid communicators, some are just sketchy and you can't trust them at all... but even though I know that, I can't go through life treating strangers like psychopaths as that might turn me into one lol 

3 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Ah, common courtesy. Gone with the dinosaurs.

MI

I bought a splash a few months ago way above market. The seller boasted about his credentials, his pop culture podcast, that he ran a gallery, stated no refunds and sales final multiple times, formally wrote it in the PayPal invoice, accepted my payment after I essentially sold another piece to fund it, then didn’t respond for a couple days after a slew of immediate responses, informing me he “no longer has the piece” and that legally, the state of Califnoria says I have no recourse. (He had buyer’s remorse and still has it.)

Does that count?

Edited by Mr. Machismo

3 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Ha. I believe you are spot on. Its funny bc its prob true.  

37 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I bought a splash a few months ago way above market. The seller boasted about his credentials, his pop culture podcast, that he ran a gallery, stated no refunds and sales final multiple times, formally wrote it in the PayPal invoice, accepted my payment after I essentially sold another piece to fund it, then didn’t respond for a couple days after a slew of immediate responses, informing me he “no longer has the piece” and that legally, the state of Califnoria says I have no recourse. (He had buyer’s remorse and still has it.)

Does that count?

If he took your money, he either has to give you the piece you paid for or return the money to you. None of the conditions you stated said “first come, first serve, or unless I change my mind.” 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If he took your money, he either has to give you the piece you paid for or return the money to you. None of the conditions you stated said “first come, first serve, or unless I change my mind.” 

Otherwise that's fraud and not legal in any state I know of.

If you paid via paypal they'll likely help you get your funds back.

11 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

I get this alot. Even happened with a cover I owned, it wasn't for sale but I gave the person a high price I would part with the cover for. He agreed then never responded to any of my emails about payment.

Oh, he refunded. Apologies, thought that was implied. He just went to great length to tell me the deal is firm and final with absolutely no refunds, and then has seller’s remorse and refunds. 

And no, it was not a Killing Joke splash, Bill lol. Unfortunately I don’t have the 3-400k that would take on hand to pull that off :p 

Edited by Mr. Machismo

18 minutes ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Oh, he refunded. Apologies, thought that was implied. He just went to great length to tell me the deal is firm and final with absolutely no refunds, and then has buyers remorse and refunds. 

And no, it was not a Killing Joke splash, Bill lol. Unfortunately I don’t have the 3-400k that would take on hand to pull that off :p 

uh, you mean SELLERS remorse, I was all kinds of confused there for a minute...

1 hour ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Oh, he refunded. Apologies, thought that was implied. He just went to great length to tell me the deal is firm and final with absolutely no refunds, and then has seller’s remorse and refunds. 

OK, that's much better.  The way I read it he kept the money and the art, and you had no recourse to get either.

3 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

Geez, Bill, who'd you think (hope) it was? LOL!

Mr. M, at rate you're going, I wouldn't bet against you with KJ.

Imma budget collector. My most valuable piece was picked up 25 years ago for a pittance. So, most of this is way outside of my realm of experience. 

I’d like a killing joke page, just because I love Bolland. Not because I’m sentimental about the story or Batman. 

But, frankly, Id take a Bolland Dredd Page over a KJ Page . 

Which makes me a weird collector, because I’ve already stated my lack of interest in McSpidey too, to people’s shock  

23 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Imma budget collector. My most valuable piece was picked up 25 years ago for a pittance. So, most of this is way outside of my realm of experience. 

I’d like a killing joke page, just because I love Bolland. Not because I’m sentimental about the story or Batman. 

But, frankly, Id take a Bolland Dredd Page over a KJ Page . 

Which makes me a weird collector, because I’ve already stated my lack of interest in McSpidey too, to people’s shock  

I'm pretty much in the same place as you are, and frankly, I think the prices on some of the stuff I have seen is really stiff. This is a small market with limited appeal, and I think it's an ageing one, too. So who is going to be spending this kind of money in 20 years when a lot of collectors are in their Social Security years?

On 10/20/2017 at 10:13 AM, Bill C said:

lol, no ill will towards you at all my man :)

I know you have a killer KJ half splash, but Mr M said splash in his write up. I just figured, after his latest purchase (the The Capullo #1 cover)- what's the next step up? KJ? DKR may be too big a leap (although I don't really follow the BM market).

But no doubt a detective would have checked you out (and it did cross my mind, too) early to get you out of the pool of suspects (same as with if someone reported getting held up for $ at a comic convention, and as the thief ran away, could be heard yelling "Now I can buy more Valentino Guardians art!"- I wouldn't be shocked if people started emailing me asking my whereabouts that night, lol).

That's right, I don't own a splash! Certainly not by the strictest definition. But not everyone goes by the strictest definition..."splash" may be even more loosely applied in this hobby than "grail".

I was more amused because the guy who DOES own the one KJ splash is not someone who would pull something like this.

I also don't believe any KJ page is currently worth (or would sell for) $300K-400K. Definitely not the splash of the Batmobile (as cool as it is). And not even the "half-splash" Joker transformation page (with all the "HAHAHAHA"). I don't rank it as highly as others, but the cover would probably have the highest market value. Even then, don't see $300K-400K.