• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My CGC Submissions
6 6

205 posts in this topic

I'm doing something similar.  My first submission comprised an array of comics - GA, SA, Bronze, Copper - with some being submitted straight to CGC and some being submitted to CCS.  

I have already gotten back the books I submitted straight to CGC with no CCS.  Half the books came back as 9.8 white (which validated my view of those books).  Some of the other books came back with graders notes that make me believe I should have submitted them to CCS.  For example, one book came back 9.2 white because of "light bends to cover and small, light bend to center back cover."  I am told that flaw would have easily pressed out.  So it's been an interesting learning experience.  To further my education, I'm going to re-submit that 9.2 white and get a quick press from CCS to see what impact that has.  The main thing I learned is that I need to carefully evaluate the non-color breaking texture of the book to see if pressing is required.  To my eyes, the 9.2 looked great, but that was because I was focused on the spine and corners.  In the future, I'm going to try pre-screening.

I have not yet gotten back the CCS books.  I'm really curious.  I submitted books across grades to see what happens.  One book had a black cover that was in excellent shape, but probably had a finger print or two.  I'm curious to see how the cleaning works on that.  Another GA book is nearly perfect but for some pressable non-color breaking spine stress.  A third book is a really nice looking mid-grade book, and I'm curious to see if the CCS treatment helps at all.  

It's a really interesting experiment.  My goal is to get a handle on what types of defects warrant CCS treament, whether it is cost effective, and to hone my ability to assess the likely grade of my books when submitted for a straight grading.

Edited by sfcityduck

If you've had books with the flaps sloppily tucked in (with the ears folded over), and pressed in storage, you might want to check them for pressure indentations first.

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

If you've had books with the flaps sloppily tucked in (with the ears folded over), and pressed in storage, you might want to check them for pressure indentations first.

Good eye. You are probably referring to the ffs. I am sending them, the X-men and the ASMs to ccs first. Anything below a 9.0 on those books will be a disappointment. Although I’m afraid one of the Spidey 33s May have been trimmed. All the other books were pressed by a boardie. My general thought was to send in nothing that has a gpa value below $100. I fudged this a little if the book was unique and high grade (like the Jerry lewis’s). lol  

What a crazy fun group of books! Enjoy learning grading and seeing the results once a third party grades 'em. 

My first batch to CGC was a disaster. Been a long time since I sent another group in. Takes a while to learn grading. At least for me. 

Thoth, is sending batches into CGC the next step in a (short-term) plan to send them off to one of the auction houses?  Or are they slated for boxes in your storage area/comic room? 

Just curious, I kinda keep an anecdotal count in the back of my mind, plus 1, minus 1.

Good luck, nice books, and like your tastes.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:30 PM, grebal said:

Thoth, is sending batches into CGC the next step in a (short-term) plan to send them off to one of the auction houses?  Or are they slated for boxes in your storage area/comic room? 

Just curious, I kinda keep an anecdotal count in the back of my mind, plus 1, minus 1.

Good luck, nice books, and like your tastes.

Thanks for all the well wishes.  The issue of buy/sell has always been a difficult one for me and buy has clearly won out so far.  I don't mind selling, but I miss every one.  As my eldest child starts college next year with another the following year I thought I might cull the absurdly ungainly herd a little so a lot some of these might go up for sale.  Pretty sure I'll still be buying but probably more art, GA, horror mags, pulps ...  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Comics finally showed up on the CGC website!

As Received?  If they went via Economy, you may have another wait of several weeks before they even make it to Verified. I have some books that have been sitting as Received since Oct 12.

I also like to submit in batches.  Apart from spreading out the cost, it's also kind of fun to have a box due back every six weeks or however long you've spaced out your submissions. 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

As Received?  If they went via Economy, you may have another wait of several weeks before they even make it to Verified. I have some books that have been sitting as Received since Oct 12.

I also like to submit in batches.  Apart from spreading out the cost, it's also kind of fun to have a box due back every six weeks or however long you've spaced out your submissions. 

Lol.  I'm patient.  At the rate I'm going I'll need to live a very long time to get all my books graded.  Still putting together second sub.

1 minute ago, ThothAmon said:

Lol.  I'm patient.  At the rate I'm going I'll need to live a very long time to get all my books graded.  Still putting together second sub.

Doctor:  "I'm very sorry, but you have only six months to live."

ThothAmon:  "But Doc, I've got 50 books sitting as Verified.  They'll never be back by then! :cry: "