• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone pressed a 9.8 before?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Just curious whether anyone has ever pressed a 9.8 comic before resulting in a 9.9 or a 10.0. I have a few 9.8s that appear to all be flawless, except for one minor fixable imperfection. Of course there may be other hidden flaws, but just curious if anyone's tried it before and what was the result?

1 hour ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

Just curious whether anyone has ever pressed a 9.8 comic before resulting in a 9.9 or a 10.0. I have a few 9.8s that appear to all be flawless, except for one minor fixable imperfection. Of course there may be other hidden flaws, but just curious if anyone's tried it before and what was the result?

I've always assumed that a 9.9 or 10.0, besides being flawless, must have other characteristics like perfect centering, staple placement, razor sharp corners, etc.  I've never heard of anyone cracking a 9.8 and obtaining a higher grade. IMO, it's like the lottery, you are just basically throwing your money away in a low odds gamble.

Your chances of CPR'ing (Crack, Press, Resubmit) a 9.8 and getting a 9.9 or 10 are close to zero.  Your odds are better spending the money on lottery tickets. Much better spending the money on scratch off tickets. 

The only times I've pressed 9.8's and resubmitted is when the book was cracked out for signatures. The purpose of the press was just to try to hold the 9.8 grade.  But I've only done this a very few times. Because of the very real possibility when CPR'ing 9.8's of a downgrade after signing.  So mostly with signatures I send in books that currently grade less than 9.8.  

Welcome to the boards

On 10/21/2017 at 11:41 PM, Tony S said:

Your chances of CPR'ing (Crack, Press, Resubmit) a 9.8 and getting a 9.9 or 10 are close to zero.  Your odds are better spending the money on lottery tickets. Much better spending the money on scratch off tickets. 

The only times I've pressed 9.8's and resubmitted is when the book was cracked out for signatures. The purpose of the press was just to try to hold the 9.8 grade.  But I've only done this a very few times. Because of the very real possibility when CPR'ing 9.8's of a downgrade after signing.  So mostly with signatures I send in books that currently grade less than 9.8.  

Welcome to the boards

The perfect answer!

From what I understand, most books are manufactured with defects that prevent 9.9-10. Centering, etc.  Removing handling defects to perfection isnt going to guarantee you a 9.9. 

On 10/24/2017 at 1:14 PM, MagicMan_2017 said:

Thanks, Kevin76 ... do you mean you've had two 9.9 gradings AFTER pressing it from a 9.8? Thanks.

They were never pressed.  Pressing wasn't around when those books came out.