• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raare Kapow Fanzines 1977-1994 Racine Kenosha Wi Heike, Grell etc.

3 posts in this topic

The Southwest Wisconsin (mainly Racine and Kenosha) Comic Club was incredibly active from 1977 to 1994 and published a fanzine originally title SWCC news and then Kapow- Kapow ran 100 issues though it is hard to tell if the SWCC news were some of them, It started as a mimeo zine then became a mix of xerox and mimeo lots of different colored paper.

Size varied from a few pages to 20- editorial staff was a mix of Western publishing staff and fans – art various from 12 year olds (some with famous last names!) to folks like Mike Grell, Bill Black Femforce’s Mark Heike (who is from Milwaukee) and even a reprint of a piece Chuck Hawk had by Wally wood as a teenager. Also a bunch of sw Wisconsin illustrators – Elton Dorval (who worked at western and also had a self syndicated fishing strip- Terry pavlet etc.)

Anyhow divided the box of zines into sets of varying completeness (even chuck did not have a complete set)  the most complete is about 80 issues- the least probably 15-20

Plus a small box of 2-5 copies of about 10 issues

These are probably scarce as they tended to do as many as needed for the club I’ll be looking at selling the sets times a few bucks each with the per issue price dropping the smaller the set is! – trade also is possible

Would rather not move them! Not sure how this system works but you can reach me through my comicartfans gallery under hagenauer George Hagenauer

kapowblack258.jpg

kapowshow263.jpg

kapowswcc262.jpg

kapow1255.jpg

kapowheike261.jpg