• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four #45
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Hi there

I guess i'm not so much a newbie but after a couple of decades of not collecting I have inherited a silver/bronze collection with several keys. 

This Fantastic Four #45 among them. Now I don't plan on sending this to be pressed, cleaned or graded, unless someone suggests otherwise. I have done alot of reading on grading, allowable defects etc. I wanted to know what your opinions are on the condition of this complete but rough copy

All feedback is appreciated, please see photos. 

0ED45ACD-73AF-488C-90AE-25CB5CACFFBE.jpeg

A74DB1D8-F5CF-420A-B12D-434DB090FA06.jpeg

3E60405A-1BED-4C5C-9C3F-E38EA76C7FDB.jpeg

21A5DA78-608C-4DA8-AB1F-BF2457C8076A.jpeg

99192AE8-274E-44D4-9C61-C9B54CA4D1CF.jpeg

B7EA00DD-4A49-4E70-9C87-CC39F7F815CB.jpeg

9C929FB0-05C9-4DA4-A46A-99EFBA1355DC.jpeg

Just now, AdRock181 said:

Thanks for the

reply, I appreciate it. That's better than I thought

it could be a 3.5, with the creases on the spine, they're not very long from the spine into the cover. The rest of the book looks decent though, page quality looks decent. From what you show of the inside, there are no pinholes.....

I'd say 3.5 at worst, I know some would say 3.0 but imo it looks too good elsewhere, so I'd go 3.5/4.0

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

it could be a 3.5, with the creases on the spine, they're not very long from the spine into the cover. The rest of the book looks decent though, page quality looks decent. From what you show of the inside, there are no pinholes.....

I'd say 3.5 at worst, I know some would say 3.0 but imo it looks too good elsewhere, so I'd go 3.5/4.0

Yeah the rest of the book looks good in my opinion as well. As I reference the Overstreet grading graph and 25 defects or more qualify as a "Poor" copy, I wasn't sure if all that spine stress made for a million defects  

3 minutes ago, AdRock181 said:

Yeah the rest of the book looks good in my opinion as well. As I reference the Overstreet grading graph and 25 defects or more qualify as a "Poor" copy, I wasn't sure if all that spine stress made for a million defects  

Well I see your point lol imo or as far as I know, when it comes to the breaks in color, it depends if some are worse than others; meaning, yes there are a lot on this spine, but most are the same length. I do think that the "length" of each individual matters, kind of seems silly. But I think the grader's notes would read multiple spine ticks or heavy spine ticks, rather than a million of them. That leads me to believe that they would be "categorized" as one defect... 

The more I think about it though, and for the sake of honesty it really probably is more 3.0/3.5. 

I had a Fantastic Four 48 with not many bends where you open the book, like yours does, but it did have maybe half the spine issues that yours does and they were longer from spine into the cover. Meaning I'm pretty confident in the 3.5,

I would love to hear how wrong I am lol and probably will :) 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well I see your point lol imo or as far as I know, when it comes to the breaks in color, it depends if some are worse than others; meaning, yes there are a lot on this spine, but most are the same length. I do think that the "length" of each individual matters, kind of seems silly. But I think the grader's notes would read multiple spine ticks or heavy spine ticks, rather than a million of them. That leads me to believe that they would be "categorized" as one defect... 

The more I think about it though, and for the sake of honesty it really probably is more 3.0/3.5. 

I had a Fantastic Four 48 with not many bends where you open the book, like yours does, but it did have maybe half the spine issues that yours does and they were longer from spine into the cover. Meaning I'm pretty confident in the 3.5,

I would love to hear how wrong I am lol and probably will :) 

Haha, sounds like we're on the same page. I think I will have this cleaned, graded and slabbed and will definitely update this post. I'd be happy with that grade!

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I probably wouldn't worry about doing a pressing and would send in as is but thats just me. I don't think it'll hit 4.0, but probably has a decent shot at 3.5 as is?

What I mean is that the cost to press doesn' weigh out the value of it lol

But idk.