• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are some ways that Average Joes have come to own Amazing Fantasy 15
2 2

44 posts in this topic

I actually put it in a want list request with Bob from Highgradecomics.com for a Fantastic Four 4 9.0, One came up for sale and I had to pass. A few months later I get another email from him that he obtained another FF 4 9.0, I said "well, I better see if If I can work something out with him this time"  I made a deposit on it and made time payments of $550 for like 10 months, (price was $7500 If I remember correctly) $550 a month became brutal after a few months, after it was paid and I got the book and had it for a while, Greg Reece Comics had a super nice Journey Into Mystery 83 7.0 White, I sent him a PM to see if he'd be willing to trade the Journey 83 7.0 for my FF 4 9.0 straight up and he agreed. 

Couple of years past, and I was browsing Bob's site and he had an AF 2.5 Off white with no chipping listed. I sent him an email and asked what would it take to get the AF 15, he replied back "The journey 83 and $XXXX.00. I made the cash I needed on ebay, so I sent him the Journey 83 and a check and he sent the AF 15 which I still have :)

If you want one bad enough or anything in life bad enough, you'll find a way.  

Bought a .5 for 700 on ebay because i had to have one. Got it signed and graded. Now 6k and presents nice. Best comic I own by far. I've never had alot of spending money ever but got lucky with this one. I could not have ever got one at the now prices. If I did I'd have to sell a good amount of stuff and save some serious tax refund money and keep it a secret from the wife. Too risky lol.

Bought my first copy as part of a large collection so I figured I had $3 into it.  Slabbed 1.8 and sold it for $2900 Bought another copy for $1400 and sold it for raw for $2700 the next week and that copy ended up being a 2.5 slab and then I did a cash trade deal for a 3.0 copy that I still have?  Have about the same into that one that I got out of selling the first two.   But I did upgrade ?

At a local show a number of years ago a friend of mine (who's a UPS driver and board member) found an AF 15 -- it was offered by a dealer who was primarily a coin dealer and was selling off his comics.  I looked at the book and it looked unrestored and the real deal.  He stepped up and paid $4k for it.  It came back a 6.0 -- no marvel chipping brilliant colors.  An incredible find for a guy who couldn't be nicer and a true collector.  

8 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

At a local show a number of years ago a friend of mine (who's a UPS driver and board member) found an AF 15 -- it was offered by a dealer who was primarily a coin dealer and was selling off his comics.  I looked at the book and it looked unrestored and the real deal.  He stepped up and paid $4k for it.  It came back a 6.0 -- no marvel chipping brilliant colors.  An incredible find for a guy who couldn't be nicer and a true collector.  

Helluva story. Always keep your eyes open.

A collector friend snagged his from a garage sale a few years back. He pulled 4 books from a stack in the garage, AF #15 (4.0ish) and three 50s Westerns, asked the seller how much, the seller said what can you offer, and he paid him the $28 he had on him for the four books. 

I told him he made a huge mistake - there were three stacks in a box in the garage and he got nervous when he hit the AF #15 and stopped going through the rest of the first stack and the other two. My guess is that all of the other early Marvel #1s/SA keys were in it. I tease him that he passed on the Hulk #1 and FF #1 he needs in similar shape to the AF #15..........................

Edited by kimik

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎23 at 10:49 PM, exitmusicblue said:

Two words:  Time. Payments. lol

AF # 15 fn- (little to no chipping) (thumbsu from SDCC circa 1989 was aggressively priced at a whopping $1,100. I offered vendor $900 on last day of SDCC Sunday but had to scramble to find my travel buddy to borrow the last $100 that I was short. Got the AF #15, realized I spent too much all weekend, and flipped it back to the collector I borrowed the funds from for $1k in 1 hr. Travel buddy returned to Vancouver and flipped AF #15 within a week to a local collector/dealer of hot recent comics.

On 10/27/2017 at 11:42 AM, Shawnismaximus said:

I will probably never own one.  But fingers crossed I luck out one day to find one that is affordable.  The problem is the price just keeps climbing.

+1, unless the market explodes and prices come back down to a level that mortal men can afford.

On 10/27/2017 at 12:21 PM, Foolkiller said:

Now that is a great story!

I believe you really can do it by flipping up. It took me years but I got my copy. I remember buying Hulk 180, ASM 300 the $100-$150 books and making 50% the graduating to Hulk 181, ASM 129 buying raw or harshly graded and flipping them for profit. I got my AF 15 from trading in the keys I acquired without putting in a cent. :). Takes time, patience and luck.

Buy a dancing pole and start to learn some moves then eventually a AF15 will be possible hahaha!! Maybe you could even dress as Spidey while doing your thing while music is playing and Hulk could be the bouncer and Batman could be the DJ (Undercover Batman trying to infiltrate the Joker's crew of notorious thugs)!! The awesome trio with the Joker as the clubs owner!! Now you would just need a agent to book your shows how about The Black Widow aka Natasha.

Edited by SC22

Bought an Avengers 8.0 old label(2,000) off clink 2012. Pressed to a 9.0. Sold for 4,000.  

Bought an X men 1 5.5 for 3,600$ off Heritage in 2013. Pressed to a 7.0. 

Traded the X1 7.0 +500 cash for an AF 15 3.0 here on the boards also in 2013. 

Edited by Spiderphill

On 10/27/2017 at 12:42 PM, Shawnismaximus said:

I will probably never own one.  But fingers crossed I luck out one day to find one that is affordable.  The problem is the price just keeps climbing.

Me neither but thankfully  i'm more of a bottom feeder and there are so many other options in this hobby