• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are some ways that Average Joes have come to own Amazing Fantasy 15
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Hi guy so I’m new to the forum but I’ve been collecting comics since I was a kid. I’m a big spiderman fan and I was curious how some of us mere mortals have come to own the Holy Grail that is Amazing Fantasy 15 with out having to pay a fortune for it. Note that as of yet I’m not one of those lucky few but maybe someday.

BB762699-AFEF-460A-AB76-9555FBA9DDB9.jpeg

6 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Unfortunately I am one of us mere mortals who paid a fortune for it. 

(Welcome to the boards!)

Same.  Although the price I paid 4 years ago would be considered a "bargain" in the current climate.  Still, by far, the most I've ever paid for a comic book. 

2 hours ago, Andres Aragon said:

Hi guy so I’m new to the forum but I’ve been collecting comics since I was a kid. I’m a big spiderman fan and I was curious how some of us mere mortals have come to own the Holy Grail that is Amazing Fantasy 15 with out having to pay a fortune for it. Note that as of yet I’m not one of those lucky few but maybe someday.

BB762699-AFEF-460A-AB76-9555FBA9DDB9.jpeg

Ever watch the 1960 flick "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor?

1 hour ago, chrisco37 said:

Same.  Although the price I paid 4 years ago would be considered a "bargain" in the current climate.  Still, by far, the most I've ever paid for a comic book. 

My story as well, but I bought mine in 2009.

Similar story to some of the other guys. I bought mine in the late '90s. Got it "cheap" because it has a small amount of color touch, but to this day it's still the most I've ever spent on a comic. I literally saved up for an entire year to pay for it. Had it graded about a year and half ago and it came back as a PLOD 4.0.

9 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Welcome to the boards(thumbsu

Thanks man I’ve been collecting for a while but just recently started collecting comics that used to be out of my price range nothing major by my first “big” purchase is a very low grade ASM 15 and 20 for $130 each that I’m getting signed this weekend by The Man Stan Lee !

My 1st was when a friend of mine who knew I sold on ebay asked me to sell his collection.   Because he was a friend I did all of the work for free.  I sold everything he had except the AF15. because I wanted it for myself.  I offered him $1000 for it and he said yes (many years ago).  It was a 1.0.

I've owned many since then but my favorite was getting a call from my daughter 2 years ago who said a friend of hers had one to sell.  I assumed it was a reprint but when I went to look at it it was the real thing. I thought it was about a 4.0/4.5 and offered him $12,000 for it.  He declined.  2 weeks later he said yes and I got it.  It came back from CGC as a 4.0.

I also bought a PLOD Pence 7.0 about 6 years ago and had Matt Nelson remove the "dot" of CT.  It came back as a Blue 7.0.  I was very happy.