• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, SECollector said:

So the second best in the sports cards market purchased the second best in the comic books field. I wonder if PSA who is the leading company in cards will now make a move towards CGC. Now, that would be interesting! hm

No. CGC is owned by the Certified Collectibles Group, which contains the monster powerhouse NGC. 

NGC makes all the rest of this look like amateur hour. 

3 hours ago, SECollector said:

So the second best in the sports cards market purchased the second best in the comic books field. I wonder if PSA who is the leading company in cards will now make a move towards CGC. Now, that would be interesting! hm

PSA is not the best. They are the choice grader for suckers.

Edited by comicwiz

14 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

In other news PGX is bought by Radio Shack

Hey now, as a former Radio Shack employee (my first job out of high school) I have to say...uh...yeah, you nailed that one.

I don't trust Beckett ,They manipulated and destroyed the Sports card market with over-inflated prices in their old monthly guides and their card grading is not that great,In my limited experience with them. Seems like a reach for them that will only damage the comic market.Thank goodness Overstreet keeps it real...Although I do believe a few modern keys were manipulated to higher prices that they deserve through the ebay market place dealers (aka Batman Adventures #12...great example...A 9.8 should be a $300 book at best...as well as New Mutants #98...a 9.8 should be 300-400 tops.I worked in a comic shop that turned huge numbers when they came out and I saw how many were printed back then and everyone was buying at least two then because the title was so hot...Now New Mutants #87 was actually low printed and was selling raw for $60 just a month or two after release.)

Mr.Pizzafist

Edited by Pizzafist

1 hour ago, Pizzafist said:

I don't trust Beckett ,They manipulated and destroyed the Sports card market with over-inflated prices in their old monthly guides and their card grading is not that great,In my limited experience with them. Seems like a reach for them that will only damage the comic market.Thank goodness Overstreet keeps it real...Although I do believe a few modern keys were manipulated to higher prices that they deserve through the ebay market place dealers (aka Batman Adventures #12...great example...A 9.8 should be a $300 book at best...as well as New Mutants #98...a 9.8 should be 300-400 tops.I worked in a comic shop that turned huge numbers when they came out and I saw how many were printed back then and everyone was buying at least two then because the title was so hot...Now New Mutants #87 was actually low printed and was selling raw for $60 just a month or two after release.)

Mr.Pizzafist

Every type of market evaluation can be manipulated. Doesn't Overstreet use sales prices from dealers across the country?

I love when dealers use Overstreet to price books.

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Every type of market evaluation can be manipulated. Doesn't Overstreet use sales prices from dealers across the country?

I smart buyer can always do well , Overstreet tends to take it slower(usually) and that keeps them from having to back-peddle if a book is too high. I can see how that might benefit you in many cases.

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm pulling numbers completely out of thin air, but I suspect NGC does in a month what CGC does in six in terms of revenue...if not more.

Yep agreed, coins is the biggest hobby out there. I would put though sportscards hobby ahead of comics do to volume.

22 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

There was rumors years ago that Overstreet and Geppi manipulated the Barks and EC Comics markets. I don't know as I was a kid back then,maybe veterans can chime in?

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm pulling numbers completely out of thin air, but I suspect NGC does in a month what CGC does in six in terms of revenue...if not more.

I suspect you're closer to "right" than "wrong".  CGC was "needed" when they appeared on the scene, but they've never been the cash cow under that umbrella.

Beckett acquiring Voldy is definitely big news and could be a good or a bad thing (only time will tell).   I will say that my opinion of the move, at this point, will be solely based on what happens with Borock.  Will he remain there in his role or do they change things up?   The viability and success of Voldy was/is based on him as the face of the company. 

48 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I suspect you're closer to "right" than "wrong".  CGC was "needed" when they appeared on the scene, but they've never been the cash cow under that umbrella.

Beckett acquiring Voldy is definitely big news and could be a good or a bad thing (only time will tell).   I will say that my opinion of the move, at this point, will be solely based on what happens with Borock.  Will he remain there in his role or do they change things up?   The viability and success of Voldy was/is based on him as the face of the company. 

Especially since they've hired a handful of verrrry questionable people to work for them.