• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

18 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

It is different and for better or worse it's been changing for years. 

The changes reflect what's going on in the hobby.   Hot books; keys; great flips; cold books; improvable books; crack and resubmit; money; more money.  

I think it's still the best place online to talk about comics and there are still a lot of great boardies but yes, it's changed.

Thats what bugs me I think. Everyone is money hungry, and collecting is an afterthought.

Newer board members reflect this a lot. Its just a sign of the times and the influx of former card collectors to our hobby. They don't collect the way we do. Cover collectors have been become a growing market as well.  Many new collectors honestly don't even read the books. While I cant fault them for investing in comics, it saddens me to see the hobby going this way. When the movie train runs out in a few years then the hobby will contract and return to some sort of normal.

6 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Absolutely, the hobby has changed and that's reflected here and everywhere else.

But there are still a lot of wonderful people here, some long time members and some new guys.   The glass is half empty but to me it's still worth drinking from.

I like to come here from time to time, but sometime a few years back the constant bickering just turned me off. I like to come in and chat on occasion,  I think I just have such a fond attachment to these boards as I started at one of the hardest times in my life and some great people gave me a way to forgot the negativity. Sadly, many of them are gone.

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

Newer board members reflect this a lot. Its just a sign of the times and the influx of former card collectors to our hobby. They don't collect the way we do. Cover collectors have been become a growing market as well.  Many new collectors honestly don't even read the books. While I cant fault them for investing in comics, it saddens me to see the hobby going this way. When the movie train runs out in a few years then the hobby will contract and return to some sort of normal.

That would be nice. I miss seeing guys actually completing runs of books, not just flashing whatever key. I have fallen off reading the past year, I was reading quite a few moderns, but stopped finding time.

16 hours ago, SECollector said:

So the second best in the sports cards market purchased the second best in the comic books field. I wonder if PSA who is the leading company in cards will now make a move towards CGC. Now, that would be interesting! hm

lol a bgs 10 will blow a psa 10 out of the water. Keep drinkin the cgc juice tho. Legit competition is good. 

2 hours ago, Marwood & I said:
2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Yep.  All that's left are newbs and troglodytes with zero frame of reference. 

And you.

Probably should've included some emoji for sarcasm (after all this time, I still dunno what's the correct one)...

My post was tongue-in-cheek.  I enjoy new perspectives (even old ones said by someone new).  Didn't mean to offend anyone. 

7 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Aaaaaaand....to bring things back on topic....with regards to my earlier comment about the Beckett acquisition, I've heard from a reliable source that both Steve and West are to remain in their current roles/capacity. 

Thats good, and I think it is a good move for them. They have their place in the hobby, I have no problem with their service.

38 minutes ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

I'd say the GA section has changed the least. Great community there.

I've been hanging out there more and more lately myself.  It just feels calmer and slower and more reflective...... or something

37 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

2 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Thats what bugs me I think. Everyone is money hungry, and collecting is an afterthought.

Such a concise, compact, and clear statement on the current shape of the hobby.

Its the new influx of speculators causing this. They are shaping the hobby now at the same time ruining it. 

It is what it is. Until Marvel and DC wake up and stop producing this state of affairs will just have to 
play out just like it did in the 90s.

Hmm..

Haven't been following Voldy, or much of anything for that matter, lately. Did they need this to keep the company going? Based on the phone call comments, sounds like the ship wasn't being run as tight as it may have been early on. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Also, :hi:, everyone.

13 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

I know I'm probably risking getting flamed here, but I feel compelled (as on of the newer members) to say that I lurked here for years before I had the courage to start posting. But I love collecting runs of silver and bronze books and occasionally posting some pics. I don't ever sell my books, so the money is only a factor in what I blow on funny books to fill holes and complete runs. Just saying, not all of us newbs are here to make a profit. I like to think that I'm a genuine fan of comics and have been since I was a kid learning how read with Spidey Super Stories in the '70s. Are the boards better or worse than they were several years ago? I dunno, but I think there are plenty of good guys around here still (BAF, KirbyJack, Oakman just to name a few) and plenty of good conversations about comics to be had too. :foryou:

Very well said.:tink:

2 hours ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

I'd say the GA section has changed the least. Great community there.

I don’t spend a lot of time in GA, as I only collect Bronze and read moderns (as you of course are aware lol), but I don’t see a lot of money hungry investor types in the bronze section. Maybe I just don’t click on those threads and don’t think too much about it.

I still find these boards to be an incredible resource of knowledge about comics, and still really enjoy (after 15 years here) looking at other people’s books, and sharing my own.

It does seem a bit slower as far as post volume, but I think we also lost some folks in the site revamp. I wish those folks would give it another try, as they significantly improved many of the issues since initial launch IMHO.

7 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Probably should've included some emoji for sarcasm (after all this time, I still dunno what's the correct one)...

My post was tongue-in-cheek.  I enjoy new perspectives (even old ones said by someone new).  Didn't mean to offend anyone. 

Me too. It's all good Chris, just a bit of banter. We're all friends now (thumbsu

8 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

I like to come here from time to time, but sometime a few years back the constant bickering just turned me off. I like to come in and chat on occasion,  I think I just have such a fond attachment to these boards as I started at one of the hardest times in my life and some great people gave me a way to forgot the negativity. Sadly, many of them are gone.

The boards are great, yes, and they do give you a channel to escape the slings and arrows. They are like every other thing in life though, a mix of good, bad and stu ugly. You just need to embrace the good, ignore the bad and polish the ugly (once in a while). Have a read of my pence, miller and font threads @The Resurrection. Links in my signature line below. I'd love to get more input as they are about comics and have a faintly whimsical, nostalgic slant that might appeal. And the comics are tatty as hell (thumbsu

10 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

I am over 10 years of not giving a damn about AF 15. 

:hi: Pat.

I hope that you and your family are well.

If you'll note, my posting has increased; at this rate, I'll reach 1000 posts around 2025.