• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Lucky Baru said:

The shows are smaller because they showcase what the show is about , i.e., Collecting coins.  They don't have cosplay, pop culture, film, whatever list  movie stars signing autographs in them..etc.  The aren't the zoos that modern comic book conventions have become.

Yep, excellent analysis ,.. its all about the coins at a coin show

and as a major dealer has mentioned many times.. cosplay costumes have no pockets

Edited by 1950's war comics

32 minutes ago, namisgr said:

What you refer to as 'defending the competition' is, in fact two things.  First, as comic collectors and lovers of the hobby and the medium, most board members have the intelligence and sophistication to recognize the considerable value to the hobby of serious competition in third party grading.  You should understand this too, by now, as the reasons behind it have already been explained by several different posters, collectors and dealers alike.

Second, among long-time collectors we have friends and acquaintances working at the company that Beckett bought out.  We like them.  We respect them.  We remember that the head honcho started CGC, and created their standards for grading still in use today by the company.  We know the considerable impact this has had on the hobby.

Finally, the distinguished competition needs no defending, but it would sure be nice if folks didn't make things up out of thin air and try to slander them in a public forum focused on our hobby.  It would also be nice if folks didn't make things up out of thin air trying to trash fellow members of these boards.

Sounds to me like you could be the type of person who would actually would have the gumption to go into a diner with burgers and fries bought somewhere else and then defend your right to eat there and then  bad mouth the  mgmt.....

Edited by 1950's war comics

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Sounds to me like you could be the type of person who would actually would have the gumption to go into a diner with burgers and fries bought somewhere else and then bad mouth the place.....

Nonsense.  Nobody has badmouthed CGC in the thread.

Just now, namisgr said:

Nonsense.  Nobody has badmouthed CGC in the thread.

I edited my post the same time you replied ... you may not be outright badmouthing CGC but you have been subtle in your ways and are DEFINITELY defending your right to promote the competition on this,..  the CGC community web site

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

I edited my post the same time you replied ... you may not be outright badmouthing CGC but you have been subtle in your ways and are DEFINITELY defending your right to promote the competition on this,..  the CGC community web site

Promote what? That competition is a good thing for the consumer? TAT's have improved, lowering the modern tier back to 1975 from 1980...do you think those were just coincidences?

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

This is nonsense, too.  I haven't 'promoted the competition'.  Truth is, I don't own a single one of their slabs.  I never have.  Truth is also that I've spent the past five years liquidating the majority of my CGC slabs, too.

Native comics are the best!

I like that term better than "raw" or "floppy" (thumbsu

9 hours ago, comicdonna said:
12 hours ago, mysterio said:

What do the cosplayers at coin shows dress as?

I actually suggested in the coin forum, that cosplayers might help get more people to the conventions.  None of the coinees were amused. 

:preach:  Those coin guys have to grow down a little and have some fun.

19 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Sounds to me like you could be the type of person who would actually would have the gumption to go into a diner with burgers and fries bought somewhere else and then defend your right to eat there and then  bad mouth the  mgmt.....

A diner? Burgers and fries? With every post, it becomes more and more apparent just how oblivious you are.

39 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Promote what? That competition is a good thing for the consumer? TAT's have improved, lowering the modern tier back to 1975 from 1980...do you think those were just coincidences?

This has been discussed many times before... i had no problem with the TAT's the way they were... i knew going in how long a submission would take and planned accordingly

three months or so IS NOT a long time ... i wish that it were...but alas ,,,, three months flies by and is but a blip in the time radar 

41 minutes ago, shadroch said:

A diner? Burgers and fries? With every post, it becomes more and more apparent just how oblivious you are.

You're actually not allowed to bring your burger and fries to this diner. It will get deleted.

However, I personally have no problem going into a restaurant and talking good about another restaurant. People like options.

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

This has been discussed many times before... i had no problem with the TAT's the way they were... i knew going in how long a submission would take and planned accordingly

three months or so IS NOT a long time ... i wish that it were...but alas ,,,, three months flies by and is but a blip in the time radar 

What does that have to do with the improved TAT's? You didn't answer the question.

Just now, Logan510 said:

What does that have to do with the improved TAT's? You didn't answer the question.

Ummm yes i did... i explained that i had no problem with the old TAT's so new TAT's improved by a few weeks or even a month  was meaningless to me or anyone else whom has patience for those type things

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

What's 'unfortunate' about it?  If you have any genuine facts, such as the purchase price, then let's hear them.  Skip the make believe.

What difference does it make when the book was sold?  It still stands as an example against your claim that books in these slabs always sell for less in the marketplace.  Coupled with the word of multiple dealers in this thread, it's fair to say that your claim is full of garbage.

And finally: you're some nasty piece of work.  

Because an outlier is an outlier.  He had to go back two months to find one. And yes, the timing makes a difference. Here's another "nasty" one from yesterday:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&showauto=true&item=282705773953&rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D4%26campid%3D5335849815%26toolid%3D10034%26customid%3DeBay-US_go-url_-76d1aaf11675--www.watchcount.com-ilu.ihist3.282705773953.-_wcc%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Foffer.ebay.com%252Fws%252FeBayISAPI.dll%253FViewBids%2526showauto%253Dtrue%2526item%253D282705773953%26srcrot%3D711-53200-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1351456427230

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=263251950365&item_hash4=9ce90f50&LH_Complete=1&LH_BIN=1&_pgn=1&rc=nt&_trksid=p3750801.m370.h1613&rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D4%26campid%3D5335849815%26toolid%3D10034%26customid%3DeBay-US_go-url_-76d1aaf11675--www.watchcount.com-ilu.ihist.263251950365.-_wcc%26mpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Foffer.ebay.co.uk%252Fws%252FeBayISAPI.dll%253FViewBidsLogin%2526item%253D263251950365%2526item_hash4%253D9ce90f50%2526LH_Complete%253D1%2526LH_BIN%253D1%2526_pgn%253D1%2526rc%253Dnt%2526_trksid%253Dp3750801.m370.h1613%26srcrot%3D711-53200-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D1351404298737

For someone who purports to have no vested interest in the failure of Voldy, you really do seem to be taking things personally.  

-J.

8 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Ummm yes i did... i explained that i had no problem with the old TAT's so new TAT's improved by a few weeks or even a month  was meaningless to me or anyone else whom has patience for those type things

You ,evidently, are not a dealer. Having my investments tied up for months is  a problem for my cash flow and needlessly causes capital to  sit idle. 

In the end, it really isn't just about what works best for you.