• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

Just now, thehumantorch said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
42 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Hang on Bomber, I'm a Virgo.

Prevert.

lol , it does sound kinda sick....

Dare I say, get a room.  With a swing and pulley system...., 

56 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

What CGC slabs sell for vs distinguished competition is a red herring. People can cherry pick stats either way to make an argument.

The salient point is that the competition did not "go belly up," was/is not failing, etc., etc. That is dishonest spin... in other words, #FakeNews. 

The data may be tough to piece together but I typically see Vold slabs selling for 90% of CGC slabs in ComicLink auctions.  Not every book grant you but as a rule of thumb that is what I have seen over the last few years.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Folks the best defense against a Virgo is to agree with them on everything - we like to argue/debate 

My tarot cards say that Virgos are always wrong, but a recent fortune cookie said they’re right sometimes (shrug)

11 hours ago, oakman29 said:

It's truly a shame that you jaydog spew untruths about a man who not only is a true Patriot for the comic collecting world, and his integrity is beyond question. You also are saying untruths about a person who has many friends here, who has known this man for many years, who has broken bread with. I for one think you should shut your mouth before you get yourself into trouble, until you actually have facts.

Still trying to figure out what "untruths" I've spoken about, who exactly.(?)  I'm assuming you're referring to one of the people who started Voldy.  If you are, I haven't said anything about him personally, have I? You say that you and pther eople on thes eboards are his friend.  That's great.  But he isn't anyone to me, and in the midst of this love fest, I will tell like it is.  Because that's what I do.   I have said what I didn't like about his company and business practices.  I've also said that this is why I believe the company needed a bail out. 

And that's really what this is, isn't it?  Behind all of the cheerleading (on the CGC boards, no  less, because "successful Voldy" could never generate any real traffic on their own boards, could they?), the glad-handing, the back-scratching, the yip-yap, knick-knack, slippity slap, bibbity, boppity, boo, that's what happened- Voldy got bailed out.  Whether or not this Band-Aid will turn out to be a long term fix, or just a brief salve that is only forestalling the final inevitability remains to be seen. 

What is very real, is that the market for Voldy slabs is not reacting positively to this news.  No, not at all.  Nobody needs to "cherry pick" anything to show it, it's obvious.

Mr. Iceman399  mentioned that the Voldy AF 15 2.0 SS that I linked earlier was part of a larger Voldy slab dump that closed on October 28.  He is correct.  He also stated that the "higher dollar" slabs that were being offered there "went for either at or above GPA".

This statement is patently false, beginning with that AF 15 2.0, which, even factoring in their sketchy "buyer's premium", still went for -13% less than a comparable graded CGC copy from way back in June ($15,750).  I have also already linked the 8.5 FF 48 from this auction, closing at $1375 including BP, -17% less as compared to a CGC copy that sold for $1650.  Mr. icemann399 said he bid on "every single high $ book in that auction", and was "hoping for the discount".  Did you not see those two books for starters, Mr. Iceman?

After reviewing the rest of the results from that auction, I first saw that the vast majority of their offerings were nickel and dime stuff.  I didn't bother scrutinizing those.  There were a couple of higher dollars sales that either did go for right at CGC pricing or a few hundred dollars below (the 7.0 Hulk 181 for example).

Here are now the remaining "high dollar" results from that auction, and compared to similar graded CGC slabs:

Voldy 4.0 Avengers 1 SS Stan Lee- $2125 (with BP)    -22% less than

CGC 4.0 Avengers 1 SS Stan Lee- $2725 (July, 2017) 

Voldy 3.0 Avengers 4 SS Stan Lee- $750 (with BP)   -19% less than

CGC   3.0 Avengers 4 SS Stan Lee - $925 (October, 2017)

Voldy X men 1 4.0 SS Stan Lee- $3062 (with BP)   -3% less than

CGC X men 1 3.5 SS Stan Lee -  $3173 (90 day average, no current data for a 4.0 so I went a grade down, and CGC still outsold)

Voldy Daredevil 1 3.0- $843 (with BP)   -26% less than

CGC Daredevil 1 3.0-  $1136 (October, 2017)

Average Voldy discount on recent high dollar sales (including the -3% on the sale that was actually a lower grade)-   -16.67%. and that goes up to -19.47% if I ignore the X men 1 sale that was not in the same grade.

In terms of dollars and cents, the five comparable sales equate to a total loss of $3,343 in real money looking at Voldy compared to CGC.  No "untruths".  No "fake news".  No mystery sales on the "dark market".  Just cold, hard publicly available data points (my favourite kind!). 

Take from it what you will.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

10 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Since you tend to avoid responding to my posts lets try again.

Venture capitalist startup money is used to bring a company to market,  over time private equity cash's out and the company is then brought public.  

Venture capitalists funded the "other company",  they are selling to a established grading company versus going public and selling stock to the public. 

That is not "going belly up or getting bailed out".  That is how you get startup (Venture capitalist) money,  they come in with a exit strategy and it is always sell and take their money out.

Thank you Bob.:golfclap:

12 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Since you tend to avoid responding to my posts lets try again.

Venture capitalist startup money is used to bring a company to market,  over time private equity cash's out and the company is then brought public.  

Venture capitalists funded the "other company",  they are selling to a established grading company versus going public and selling stock to the public. 

That is not "going belly up or getting bailed out".  That is how you get startup (Venture capitalist) money,  they come in with a exit strategy and it is always sell and take their money out.

That's how you choose to see it. 

I see it (based on most external signs) as the owners taking the money and running from a burning building. 

Either way the net effect and result are the same.

-J.