• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

It must be a lot of fun to be between your ears.  

Net effect is that Beckett's is replacing the venture capital owners which were always assumed to be temporary until the business became "established".   That is how venture capital works.

Belly up means they would have filed for bankruptcy and closed their doors.

Bailed out means that Beckett would have loaned CBCS money to stay in business.  

Net effect and result are NOT the same.

31 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

That's how you choose to see it. 

I see it (based on most external signs) as the owners taking the money and running from a burning building. 

Either way the net effect and result are the same.

-J.

Typically, as part of an acquisition you keep leadership in place for a set amount of time (years) as part of the agreement, unless the leaders were toxic. This helps in the transition. Pretty common stuff...

48 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

It must be a lot of fun to be between your ears.  

Net effect is that Beckett's is replacing the venture capital owners which were always assumed to be temporary until the business became "established".   That is how venture capital works.

Belly up means they would have filed for bankruptcy and closed their doors.

Bailed out means that Beckett would have loaned CBCS money to stay in business.  

Net effect and result are NOT the same.

This is the same guy that said edge tanning was caused by foxing. 

Some.....interesting.....opinions. 

18 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Sounds to me like you could be the type of person who would actually would have the gumption to go into a diner with burgers and fries bought somewhere else and then defend your right to eat there and then  bad mouth the  mgmt.....

The sheer amount of brass bowling balls you are carrying around is astounding. You need to think about the people you run around spouting off assumptions about. @namisgr is one member whos reputation around here is top notch. We all believe in having healthy competition, it keeps the market active and the companies honest. If you feel you need to start taking jabs at people because you arent getting a whole group jumping onto your cheer team, by all means take the nonsense elsewhere. 

12 hours ago, oakman29 said:

It's truly a shame that you jaydog spew untruths about a man who not only is a true Patriot for the comic collecting world, and his integrity is beyond question. You also are saying untruths about a person who has many friends here, who has known this man for many years, who has broken bread with. I for one think you should shut your mouth before you get yourself into trouble, until you actually have facts.

Agreed, and I have busted Steves stones into pebbles and have criticized him any time I felt like doing so. But he has done many great things for this hobby and certainly deserves the respect he has earned.

25 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Mincing words?  You are deflecting to values because I am pointing out that Belly up and bailed out (Both your terms) are not true.

Big drops in Voldy slabs because Beckett bought them?  So now you have the ability to channel the sellers/buyers of those slabs and have it on their authority that they are dumping Voldy slabs because of the sale?

You are truly amazing.

You should change your board id to Forest.

Great.  You've gone from mincing words to butchering mine. I never said nor speculated on anything of the sort.  However you want to characterize the owners of this organization running out of their own company,  I'm simply observing and noting the seemingly overwhelming negative reaction in the marketplace with recent sales activity as a correlation to the timing of this news.

As an apparently panicked dealer of these slabs, I would be surprised if you were not doing the same.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Great.  You've gone from mincing words to butchering mine. I never said nor speculated on anything of the sort.  However you want to characterize the owners of this organization running out of their own company,  I'm simply observing and noting the seemingly overwhelming negative reaction in the marketplace with recent sales activity as a correlation to the timing of this news.

As an apparently panicked dealer of these slabs, I would be surprised if you were not doing the same.  

-J.

You're really something else. 

I am not panicked at all.  You can check my ebay listings (User id blazingbob) 0 CBCS slabs for sale.

You can check my website.  I have not slashed or relisted any CBCS books.  There are 53 CBCS slabs for sale,  13 are "new".  2 are consignment,  11 are from a very recent purchase. 

Here is the link to the results just so I'm not mincing words - https://www.highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=search_results&title_starts_with=&title_contains=&issue_numbers=&publisher_id=0&genre_id=0&age_id=0&pedigree_id=0&tp_grader_id=4&min_grade_index=0&max_grade_index=0&min_price=&max_price=&location_id=0&submit=Search

Edited by blazingbob

34 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

However you want to characterize the owners of this organization running out of their own company,  I'm simply observing and noting the seemingly overwhelming negative reaction in the marketplace with recent sales activity as a correlation to the timing of this news.

-J.

This is preposterous.  Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Amgen, and hundreds more of the most successful companies in America were started as private companies by venture capital, and then brought public through having shares sold on the exchanges.  Once these companies were publicly traded, the venture investors sold their shares to realize their profits, as that's how venture capital financing works.  Hundreds more highly successful American companies were sold by their venture capitalist investors directly to publicly traded companies, skipping the initial stock offering altogether.

To state as you have many times over that the Distinguished Competition was bought by Beckett because they were 'failing' and the buyout was 'unfortunate' has not been substantiated by any information you've provided (your very words).  Hence, your suppositions are 'made up out of thin air' (my very words), and show an utter lack of knowledge about business start-ups.

You also made the preposterous statement that all books slabbed by the Distinguished Competition sell for less than CGC-slabbed counterparts.  This, too, was refuted by another post on the boards that provided a link to an E-Bay sale, as well as by posts from three different well-known and long-time comic dealers.  So here, too, you've simply made up a statement out of thin air.

That makes you a windbag.

Finally, you've completely ignored the very real benefits that collectors have gained from the competition in third party grading, including but not limited to improvements in service, improvements in pricing, and opportunities to acquire comics for lower prices.  If you lack the sophistication to take advantage of these opportunities that competition has provided, that's your blind spot deficiency and yours alone.

Edited by namisgr

16 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I am not panicked at all.  You can check my ebay listings (User id blazingbob) 0 Voldy slabs for sale.

You can check my website.  I have not slashed or relisted any Voldy books.  There are 53 Voldy slabs for sale,  13 are "new".  2 are consignment,  11 are from a very recent purchase. 

Here is the link to the results just so I'm not mincing words - https://www.highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=search_results&title_starts_with=&title_contains=&issue_numbers=&publisher_id=0&genre_id=0&age_id=0&pedigree_id=0&tp_grader_id=4&min_grade_index=0&max_grade_index=0&min_price=&max_price=&location_id=0&submit=Search

Blazing- It's nothing personal. You're a high volume, stand up dealer, and I'm sure that neither this news or anything said in this thread will impact any of that in the slightest.   

What perplexes me is why anyone posting here, on CGC hosted boards, would be surprised to see someone pointing out that, how, and why CGC slabs routinely sell for more than any distant competition. I understand that some people may know the founder of the competition personally. I understand that some people may have money tied up in Voldy slabs either as buyers or sellers or both and are (rightfully) concerned about what all of this may mean and the current market activity that we are already seeing.  

But there is a place for that discussion.   It's on the Voldy chat boards.  Not here.  

-J.

On 10/30/2017 at 7:37 PM, Jaydogrules said:

My post really hit a nerve for you, didn't it.  Eh who cares about disputing any specific point, it's so much easier to make juvenile and vague generalities  (even though all of my points are factually correct and have been expressed by multiple people during the brief nano second that Voldy managed to be a company ). Guess the truth really does hurt.  Here's a little more for you:

When the owner and founder of a company cashes out and runs for the hills from their sinking ship, that certainly will not be met by a vote of confidence from a market that was already highly skeptical of their derivative, sub-standard product.   

My advice to you remains the same-get rid of your Voldy slabs before the bottom completely falls out.  :tonofbricks:

-J.

Your post was stupid.  Not that you're stupid but the post was completely stupid as in stupid stupid.  Friday the 13th camp counselor back into the house stupid

3 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Your post was stupid.  Not that you're stupid but the post was completely stupid as in stupid stupid.  Friday the 13th camp counselor back into the house stupid

???

I'm a member dealer for the other guys and I happily deal with slabs from both companies all the time. I use GPA when pricing both and have no trouble in shifting either type of slab. The aquisition of the other guys by Beckett isn't bothering me at all and I'll keep on doing what I've been doing. I think having the other guys around has been a great thing for CGC as they've tightened up their whole operation and I think they're better than they've been in a very long time.

While amusing, the whole argument that the competition went "belly up" is based on a false premise and the wrong metrics. 

You can share stats that show CGC slabs sold for x% more from now until doomsday and it doesn't matter one bit. If that was a meaningful metric from a business success/fail perspective, PGX would have gone out of business 12 years ago. (NOT that I am comparing the credible competition to PGX is any way!)

The metric that matters is the P&L statement. Given the competition has been in an expansion mode with hiring and has a decent market share given they are still relatively "new," I think their P&L sheet looks just fine. I suspect their investors and Beckett feel the same. The notion that investors are analyzing spreadsheets detailing the price of slab x vs slab y for comparable books is absurd.

Lost in all of this is the fact that we now know  who owns one of the two Comic Grading Companies. 

Do you think we'll ever find out just who owns the other one?

Edited by shadroch

40 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Blazing- It's nothing personal. You're a high volume, stand up dealer, and I'm sure that neither this news or anything said in this thread will impact any of that in the slightest.   

What perplexes me is why anyone posting here, on CGC hosted boards, would be surprised to see someone pointing out that, how, and why CGC slabs routinely sell for more than any distant competition. I understand that some people may know the founder of the competition personally. I understand that some people may have money tied up in Voldy slabs either as buyers or sellers or both and are (rightfully) concerned about what all of this may mean and the current market activity that we are already seeing.  

But there is a place for that discussion.   It's on the Voldy chat boards.  Not here.  

-J.

Is this the CGC or Jaydogrules chat boards? I'm confused?