• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beckett
3 3

418 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

While amusing, the whole argument that the competition went "belly up" is based on a false premise and the wrong metrics. 

You can share stats that show CGC slabs sold for x% more from now until doomsday and it doesn't matter one bit. If that was a meaningful metric from a business success/fail perspective, PGX would have gone out of business 12 years ago. (NOT that I am comparing the credible competition to PGX is any way!)

The metric that matters is the P&L statement. Given the competition has been in an expansion mode with hiring and has a decent market share given they are still relatively "new," I think their P&L sheet looks just fine. I suspect their investors and Beckett feel the same. The notion that investors are analyzing spreadsheets detailing the price of slab x vs slab y for comparable books is absurd.

So says you.  

The gaping price disparity between the two companies has always been observed and documented by many others long before this.  Which is why many, many collectors didn't touch Voldy slabs at all.  The gap just appears to be widening even more now.  

Whether or not you choose to ignore, dismiss, or turn a blind eye to it is irrelevant.   Many other people don't do that.  

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

I don't know.  Why don't you tell me why we have to say "voldy" instead of the real company name.  hm

-J.

Because of the obvious temper tantrum by the moderation, same as when I posted pictures of wavy slabs. They removed those until I proved they were mine. Moderation isn't always right, except politics and trolling, they usually catch those quick.

1 minute ago, The Resurrection said:

Because of the obvious temper tantrum by the moderation, same as when I posted pictures of wavy slabs. They removed those until I proved they were mine. Moderation isn't always right, except politics and trolling, they usually catch those quick.

Good points.  

I just thought I was demonstrating the obvious when I basically said that CGC has the right to control the narrative in their own house.  

-J.

Good points.  

I just thought I was demonstrating the obvious when I basically said that CGC has the right to control the narrative in their own house.  

-J.

We are comic collectors. Many of us prefer CGC, but we collect comics not plastic. So there will always be discussion regardless of brand, because it involves what we collect.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Only the people that are worried about about the bottom falling out from under their Voldy slabs.  (thumbsu

-J.

Stop making assumptions. Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they are heavily vested in the other companies. Seriously man, not everything is black and white.

3 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Stop making assumptions. Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they are heavily vested in the other companies. Seriously man, not everything is black and white.

No it isn't.  And I'm sure you'll agree that calling other boardies "stupid", either directly or indirectly, because someone disagrees with them is juvenile and bush league and has no place in a conversation among (presumed) professional adults and fellow comic book collectors.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

No it isn't.  And I'm sure you'll agree that calling other boardies "stupid", either directly or indirectly, is juvenile and bush league and has no place in a conversation among (presumed) professional adults and fellow comic book collectors.  

-J.

I have certainly been involved in worse here. Believe me, this is not exactly a distinguished group of business professionals, there are plenty of cry babies. But it never hurts to try and improve the atmosphere.

10 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

I have certainly been involved in worse here. Believe me, this is not exactly a distinguished group of business professionals, there are plenty of cry babies. But it never hurts to try and improve the atmosphere.

sand-kid2.jpg

15 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

We already know what you pound, and it aint sand..:sumo:

I've actually been off the jerk-juice for over a month.  I finally decided it was too expensive.  Now I mostly swill cheap rum.