• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Newsstand Edition" Phenomenon
5 5

323 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
13 minutes ago, revat said:

the comics? or the actual newsstands?

Newsstand comics.... isn't everything direct now?

I could be wrong but there might still be some kids comics on the newsstands. and/or archies?

Hello newsstand collectors and hello again to any readers of this thread who may have been tuned in during pages 5-onward -- I follow up today to share with you all (and to append into the public record of the thread for anyone who reads it in the future), a link to the Official Press Release of the project I kept mentioning; the timing of online availability of our project is what appears to have sparked the "brouhaha" here in the first place (a sneak peek of the project has already been live on my blog for the past few weeks and regular readers have been sharing with their friends around the Internet).

Gemstone has now published our press release to Scoop, officially announcing the release of our Type 1A Cover Price Variant Price Guide to the world -- here's a link to the article: http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=202171

We hope this online guide (which costs $0.00 to use) will be of interest to all newsstand comic book collectors, especially those who may not have realized there was a 1980's "cover price variant window" during which two types of newsstand comics were produced instead of just one (this "window" and the second much-more-rare newsstand type it gave us, is the focus of our guide).

Happy collecting to all and all the best! :-)

Sincerely,
- Ben

timeline.png

1 hour ago, xcomic said:

Hello newsstand collectors and hello again to any readers of this thread who may have been tuned in during pages 5-onward -- I follow up today to share with you all (and to append into the public record of the thread for anyone who reads it in the future), a link to the Official Press Release of the project I kept mentioning; the timing of online availability of our project is what appears to have sparked the "brouhaha" here in the first place (a sneak peek of the project has already been live on my blog for the past few weeks and regular readers have been sharing with their friends around the Internet).

Gemstone has now published our press release to Scoop, officially announcing the release of our Type 1A Cover Price Variant Price Guide to the world -- here's a link to the article: http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=202171

We hope this online guide (which costs $0.00 to use) will be of interest to all newsstand comic book collectors, especially those who may not have realized there was a 1980's "cover price variant window" during which two types of newsstand comics were produced instead of just one (this "window" and the second much-more-rare newsstand type it gave us, is the focus of our guide).

Happy collecting to all and all the best! :-)

Sincerely,
- Ben

timeline.png

:golfclap:

This map:

newsstand-comic-books-guide.jpg

is at best incomplete. You're showing that Canadian newsstands were only sold in Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia. I can attest without question that they were sold in Manitoba, and I'm sure others on this board can attest that they were sold in all other Canadian provinces.

In drilling into your price guide, I am struck by the prices you have for regular editions in 9.2. Are these slabbed copies or raw? Because if they're raw, your baseline prices for US direct sales editions are across the board about double what the actual marketplace is. Not "Guide value", actual sales.

On 11/25/2017 at 12:15 PM, FlyingDonut said:

In drilling into your price guide, I am struck by the prices you have for regular editions in 9.2. Are these slabbed copies or raw? Because if they're raw, your baseline prices for US direct sales editions are across the board about double what the actual marketplace is. Not "Guide value", actual sales.

Good question. GPA on a 9.2 ASM 238 is about $140.

This has it listed at $150, and I'm assuming this is raw.

How about Transformers #1 though. $120? GPA for a 9.2 is $80.

Edited by ygogolak

Is it true that this is the first UPC BarCode or "Newstand" on comics in the history of ever?

as this ebay seller says?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Deathlok-The-Demolisher-Astonishing-Tales-36-Final-Issue-1st-UPC-Code-Cover/272949769567?hash=item3f8d12f55f:g:ZRgAAOSwxCxT6rhu

Who knows?, could it be true? ??? It may be or whatever, but I picked up a reader today for $1.50 O.o 

Deathlok the Demolisher #36 the first ever UPC Newstand BarCode on comics in the history of ever, I'm SERIOUS!!.jpg

14 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

This map:

newsstand-comic-books-guide.jpg

is at best incomplete. You're showing that Canadian newsstands were only sold in Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia. I can attest without question that they were sold in Manitoba, and I'm sure others on this board can attest that they were sold in all other Canadian provinces.

Yeah, that map is a complete joke. I made fun of it another time someone brought up the blog.

But it sure does make Canadian Newsstands seem even less common to the ignorant. Hype and misinformation FTW!

32 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is it true that this is the first UPC BarCode

For that title, yes. Otherwise, definitely not.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

or "Newstand" on comics in the history of ever?

They were all "newsstands". Newsstand distribution was the only distribution for comics until a few years before that issue was released. Distinct editions for the Direct Market had not yet been created.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Deathlok-The-Demolisher-Astonishing-Tales-36-Final-Issue-1st-UPC-Code-Cover/272949769567?hash=item3f8d12f55f:g:ZRgAAOSwxCxT6rhu

Who knows?, could it be true? ??? It may be or whatever, but I picked up a reader today for $1.50 O.o

See above.

Thanks @Lazyboy I wouldn't have known it was the first for that title, I knew when I saw the ebay listing it was a weird way to advertise. 

I just had some credit at a local used bookstore and had seen the e bay listing and thought it would be an interesting something or another.  

The sad thing is some new sellers are spreading just a lot of misinformed as they enter the hobby. They fail
to do their homework and prey on new buyers. Or they look at Mile High and think he must be right on everything
including that ridiculous assumption of 1/100 on newsstand variants. Its a sliding scale I wish more would agree at 
least on that.

15 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

They are Canadian EDITIONS, not "variants".

-J.

For these books, there is a Direct edition, a Newsstand edition, and a Canadian Newsstand edition. The one with the largest numbers is the standard version and the other two are variants, technically.

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is it true that this is the first UPC BarCode or "Newstand" on comics in the history of ever?

Deathlok the Demolisher #36 the first ever UPC Newstand BarCode on comics in the history of ever, I'm SERIOUS!!.jpg

This is wrong. DC books had bar codes on books cover dated May, 1976. First Marvels with bar codes were cover dated June, 1976.