• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Newsstand Edition" Phenomenon
5 5

323 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, because a handful of people here can't handle somebody questioning them or posts that are longer than a sentence. Most of the time when RMA got strikes he wasn't alone, at least before he was labelled as a troublemaker for some reason. But since the other parties involved were often different, nobody has a record equal to RMA's.

I've disagreed with RMA on multiple occasions and none of those incidents resulted in moderator action for either of us. Strange. hm

Yes, it mostly is. Not that he's perfect and has never deserved moderator action, but it's unfortunate that some supposed adults here can't handle words that are within the rules.

(shrug)

lol

That's an interesting narrative.

12 minutes ago, revat said:

I think most people who care enough to read have already made up their minds one way or the other.

Thanks @revat, reading your post you definitely strike me as fair-minded, logical, objective, and also -- even without having read the full thread to have all the context -- still managed to nail where we are.  Only if you are curious to do so, reading the thread will contain the answer to why I will not be directly communicating with RMA in the future, you will see why I made the offer I did, you will see the structural problems with the platform we are on, and you can make your own guess as to whether RMA will ever desire to come forward through a mediator as a named source in the hobby available to writers like me.

- Ben

Newsies ?just how many are out there can't be explained, what I will say is there are less availabl for sale.

Presumably people are only grading high grade copies. Accurately most are only getting high copies graded of copper and modern :p

Is it just because there are always new high grade copies available for flippers or original owners? I've noticed a few lower grades, but over all this became very clear to me when they introduced the new cgc case.

Have you seen how many new cgc cases are availabl even on older books?

This must mean these (or most it would seem) are "new" to the market. What books have you seen that there are a lot of "new" cases?

I probably should have started a new thread, but I'll be polite and post here first ^^

Do you think that a lot of them are not that rare anymore...? Or do you think they were just reholdered for the new case, since a lot of older books I've looked at have the new cgc case?

Stu, you're a funny guy, I genuinely mean that!  I got a kick out of your comment here that I waved to.  And I respect you for signing your name to your message sent to me over the blog, even if the profanity was unnecessary.  Whether you'll believe me or not in what I'll say next I don't know, but:  I did indeed call CGC but what I asked Christian about was whether a working email address was the only prerequisite to establishing a new anonymous handle.  I didn't ask for anybody to be suspended.  That would have been silly/meaningless anyway, you see that, right?  So why would have have bothered to ask once the answer to my question had been confirmed?

I may be wasting my time here trying to "append the public record" but I hope you can see why I chose to do so...  Try to think what you would do if your real name was attached to fraud allegations in a public thread ingested by bots.  It was either "append" or "let the public record stand" - those were realistically my only two choices.

- Ben

Ok, I've been scouring the threads trying to find a specific post. Someone (I can swear) posted how CGC differentiates Marvel & DC price differences between direct and newsstands and they wanted to try and get CGC to recognize where the US price was the same, but the CANADIAN price was actually different between the direct and newsstand. I remember there being scans of the difference in the Canadian price, something like $3.75 Canadian and $4.05 for the newsstand. But now I can't find anything about it. Can someone link it if they know where it is? Thanks.

Phil

7 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Ok, I've been scouring the threads trying to find a specific post. Someone (I can swear) posted how CGC differentiates Marvel & DC price differences between direct and newsstands and they wanted to try and get CGC to recognize where the US price was the same, but the CANADIAN price was actually different between the direct and newsstand. I remember there being scans of the difference in the Canadian price, something like $3.75 Canadian and $4.05 for the newsstand. But now I can't find anything about it. Can someone link it if they know where it is? Thanks.

Phil

I saw it also.just went looking and couldn't find it.thought it was in modern.didn't see it in coppers Canadian price thread either.

Here it is. I replied to it. There was no scans of specific issues. If anyone can come up with specific examples of Canadian price differences where the US ones are the same, post scans and I'll see if I can get CGC to list them separately as variants.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

It's kinda crazy that newstands don't even exist anymore...

the comics? or the actual newsstands?