• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-23: THE MOVIE from James Mangold (TBD)
2 2

50 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I take issues with movies that are terrible, and some of those were made by Fox.  None of which plays into my overall point regarding Mangold’s comments, so why even bring it up.

Okay, back to that then.

9 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Mangold still missing the mark two years later...  :facepalm:

And he should really stop comparing a bit character that hit the pander machine lottery to one that has been an icon since the ‘40s.

How is Mangold missing the mark? Especially since with Logan not only was it a critical success, but also a movie-goer positive success as well.

:popcorn:

On 10/30/2017 at 1:19 PM, mattn792 said:

"Patty [Jenkins]'s success with that film only solidifies more for studios that there's less to fear with a female protagonist,"

You would think that these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons would focus more on Wonder Woman being fantastic in basically all facets that go into making a blockbuster movie rather than the "Woman" portion of the title, but seeing the slew of scandals pouring out of Hollyweird lately, it really doesn't surprise me that they'd totally miss the mark.

Make a great movie and the audiences will follow, regardless of who is in the lead. 

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

He's making the point in response to previous Marvel executive thinking female-led films don't succeed at the box office, leading to years of films without a Marvel female lead.

Ike Perlmutter was noted in the Sony hacking leaks to have sent their CEO an email where he pointed out the failures of Supergirl, Elektra and Catwoman as his 'clear examples' how they never work. Ignoring the fact these stories were not very strong.

Though secretly I do enjoy watching Elektra The Director's Cut from time to time. But the focus on the teenager overpowers Elektra in her own film.

Dafne Keen, who was the breakout star of Logan, says Fox spoke to her about plans for a potential sequel focused on X-23 during filming. Keen is currently starring in HBO's His Dark Materials series, an adaptation of Philip Pullman's hit novel trilogy, which also features her actor father, Will Keen, best known for playing Michael Adeane in The Crown. Dafne Keen played Laura/X-23 in Hugh Jackman's final outing as Wolverine when she was just 12. The child actor almost stole the show from Jackman, lending emotion and anger to her role as the mutant clone of Logan.

Based on the strength of that performance, many thought Keen would turn up in future X-Men films, but those plans were put on hold when Disney acquired Fox's film studio and essentially shut down their X-Men universe as a result. Keen herself has said she's open to reprising the role of X-23 when the mutants are introduced to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but that move seems unlikely. Marvel hasn't revealed their plans for the X-Men characters, but it is assumed that they're going to reboot the series with an entirely new cast some time down the road.

Now, Keen has revealed there were indeed plans for a sequel featuring her as X-23, at least when the movie was shooting. Speaking to Elle to promote His Dark Materials season 2, Keen says after initially being told there might be plans for a sequel she wasn't contacted by anyone again. She adds, though, that she feels like "there's more to be told" about X-23, and doubles down on her desire to play X-23 again, saying that if Marvel said "go, I'll happily go whenever." You can read her full comments below:

"I got told by some people at Fox that there might be another one, but this was ages ago when we were filming, and they haven't contacted me ever again. I feel like we're just at the beginning, there’s more to be told, and it's a relay race. I come into play when they've already written and done pre-production and decided on doing the film, so as soon as they say, ‘go,’ I'll happily go whenever."

The thought of such an interesting character returning to the screen is exciting, especially since X-23 would now be part of the MCU, allowing her to interact with a wider range of characters. And the possibility of Fox's X-Men characters playing a part in the MCU is still there, given the introduction of the multiverse in Phase 4. Keen might have to stay patient, though, given that there have been no announcements regarding the universe, barring the confirmation of Deadpool 3's writers.

When Logan hit theaters in 2017, it marked a clear end of the road for Hugh Jackman's tenure as X-Men legend Wolverine. However, it seemed to be a beginning for Dafne Keen in the part of X-23. After one thing lead to another and Disney acquired Fox and the X-Men cinematic rights with the studio, the future for all of the Marvel characters as they were portrayed under the Fox regime became uncertain. While highlights like Deadpool and X-23 have fans longing for more, the franchise as a whole looks due for a reboot. Whether or not Keen ever reprises a role in the Marvel movie worlds, she is keeping in touch with her Logan co-star Jackman and that's enough to warm our hearts just a little bit.

"Actually, I sent him a text the other day — we were chatting for a bit," Keen told Looper in an interview promoting her new title His Dark Materials. "We still stay in contact. He's been a massive, very important person in my life."

Jackman and Keen worked closely together for months on Logan before going on a global press tour where they took part in interviews and other promotional events together. Jackman seems to be serving as a mentor for her not only in character for Logan but also in real life. We love to see it.

As Keen moves forward with her acting career and navigating Hollywood, a mentor might be just what any young person in the entertainment needs. "I see [acting] as my future. But I don't think it's the only thing I'll do," Keen explained. "I really want to try other stuff, like directing, writing, and designing. I don't know. Definitely not producing. I absolutely admire producers, but producing a film is different from being a producer. I would be incapable of being a producer — too much organization, too many numbers. It's too much. I could not do it. But I would definitely want to wander into writing, directing, designing, and other stuff."

Still, she is unsure whether or not she will be reprising the role of X-23 for Marvel Studios, although some Deadpool 3 movement has given her and some fans hope.

"I'm 100 percent hopeful. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high in case it doesn't happen, but I really do hope it does because I loved playing Laura," Keen says. "She holds a very special place in my heart and she's an incredible character. And to be fair, the whole Deadpool 3 situation really, really made me happy because, obviously when Disney bought Fox, I suspected they weren't going to do any more R-rated films, but then greenlighting Deadpool is a great sign for other R-rated movies."

Edited by Bosco685

With the shocking news that Hugh Jackman would be reprising his role as James "Logan" Howlett/Wolverine in Marvel Studios' Deadpool 3, fans are calling for a certain other claw-wielding mutant to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe as well.

Marvel fans on social media are voicing their desire to see Dafne Keen reprise her role as Laura Kinney/X-23 in the MCU. Keen previously played X-23 in James Mangold's 2017 film Logan, a spinoff of 20th Century Fox's X-Men film franchise that ostensibly served as Jackman's final outing as Wolverine. A spinoff film focusing on X-23 entered development after Logan's release, though failed to materialize, with The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Fox likely delivering the killing blow. Keen has since gone on to star in BBC One and HBO's television adaptation of His Dark Materials.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

He's making the point in response to previous Marvel executive thinking female-led films don't succeed at the box office, leading to years of films without a Marvel female lead.

Ike Perlmutter was noted in the Sony hacking leaks to have sent their CEO an email where he pointed out the failures of Supergirl, Elektra and Catwoman as his 'clear examples' how they never work. Ignoring the fact these stories were not very strong.

Though secretly I do enjoy watching Elektra The Director's Cut from time to time. But the focus on the teenager overpowers Elektra in her own film.

I still think the right lead in the right movie, and a female led superhero movie does just fine.  Wonder Woman proved that.  Plus it may be trite at this point,  but Aliens, the Terminator, and the Underworld movies, also show a female protagonist works. All three of the movies he sited, especially Catwoman (tell me a Michelle Pfeiffer lead Tim Burton film would not have done well), could work very well with the right casting and the right -script.   The numbers are just so vastly skewed, when proportionally there have been much fewer female fronted action films, so a few marginal to bad ones affect the math much more profoundly.  Plus, all those films had many issues having nothing to do with having a female lead. There have been plenty of spoon male lead superhero and action films., they are just easier to ignore due to volume of overall films.

As for an X-23 movie based on Logan, I just never see it happening.  Fox's X-Men are forever shunted into the multiverse.  I do see X-23 coming back, it may even be the same actress, but it will not be a continuation of Logan in any sense.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:40 AM, drotto said:

Fox's X-Men are forever shunted into the multiverse. 

Wolverine is now in the MCU.  X-Men are one of Marvel's most popular properties - even when they were handled by Fox.  I think we can assume that now that they can be in the MCU, we're going to see them in the MCU.  Maybe 10 years out given the advanced planning Marvel does, but it will happen.  

On 9/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, sfcityduck said:

Wolverine is now in the MCU.  X-Men are one of Marvel's most popular properties - even when they were handled by Fox.  I think we can assume that now that they can be in the MCU, we're going to see them in the MCU.  Maybe 10 years out given the advanced planning Marvel does, but it will happen.  

are you saying in 10 year - Disney will be making Fox X-men films?  Using the X-Men sure, continuing Fox's X-men Film franchise will not happen. 

On 9/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, sfcityduck said:

Fox's X-Men and  the MCU's will be different.   I am surprised and happy Jackman is doing one more (maybe two based on rumors), but he will ultimately be recast.  Yes, Fox X-Men is canon to the MCU, but it is a different universe from Disney. So not really the same thing.

Plus, at this point the X-Men will be needed to save the MCU ( Hi, Jackman). 10 years is not a time frame I think they can wait, but developement takes time.  There are also rumors of contract issues with former castings.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:37 AM, drotto said:

Fox's X-Men and  the MCU's will be different.   I am surprised and happy Jackman is doing one more (maybe two based on rumors), but he will ultimately be recast.  Yes, Fox X-Men is canon to the MCU, but it is a different universe from Disney. So not really the same thing.

Plus, at this point the X-Men will be needed to save the MCU ( Hi, Jackman). 10 years is not a time frame I think they can wait, but developement takes time.  There are also rumors of contract issues with former castings.

My assumption is that the MCU will treat X-Men exactly how they treated Spiderman - start over.  There will undoubtedly be significant similarities given that the source material will likely remain the same - Byrne/Claremont New X-Men (and why wouldn't it?). I don't view Fox X-Men as canon to anything other than a multiverse cameo (same with FF). I doubt we will see much reprisal of roles other than Jackman (the only other iconic actor for that series, Stewart, is rather old). There is no way we will see any continuity. The same thing would be true if FF were to enter the MCU. It is always possible to recast a role like Wolverine. Fox recast X-Men. So I don't see Jackman's participation in an "R" rated MCU movie as requiring recasting when Wolverine appears in movies that are more central to the MCU core.