• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

# of whales with unlimited funds
1 1

77 posts in this topic

Serious question: not looking for names or a list (but provide whatever you want), how many "whales" are in the hobby? I'm specifically referring to people that can and often do drop 6 figures on OA frequently (monthly or whenever they want). Excluding the high volume known dealers, of course.

The number can be derived from the following formula, known as "The Park Theorem":

A + B + C + D + E + F

Where:

A = all Hollywood/showbiz celebrities with a net worth above $10 million

B = all professional athletes with a net worth above $10 million

C = all people working in Silicon Valley with a net worth above $10 million

D = all Chinese billionaires

E = all Russian billionaires

F = all Middle Eastern billionaires

Edited by tth2

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

The number can be derived from the following formula, known as "The Park Theorem":

A + B + C + D + E + F

Where:

A = all Hollywood/showbiz celebrities with a net worth above $10 million

B = all professional athletes with a net worth above $10 million

C = all people working in Silicon Valley with a net worth above $10 million

D = all Chinese billionaires

E = all Russian billionaires

F = all Middle Eastern billionaires

Too wide a net. And it would have to be $25 Million. 

Net worth includes illiquid assets like houses, real estate, cars, boats, stocks, bonds, business interests, etc. 

Your house/apartment could hit the $10 Million mark easily in places like SF, LA, NY, etc. 

A rare photo of an OA whale on it's way to ruin your auction dreams.

wealthy-whale_1x.jpg

Joking aside, I think there must only be a handful of true high rollers, you hear about them in threads here and there. I'd say, as far as someone that may "regularly" drop 6-figures on OA? Has to be 25 or less right? 

18 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

A rare photo of an OA whale on it's way to ruin your auction dreams.

wealthy-whale_1x.jpg

Joking aside, I think there must only be a handful of true high rollers, you hear about them in threads here and there. I'd say, as far as someone that may "regularly" drop 6-figures on OA? Has to be 25 or less right? 

Probably. It only takes 2-5 high rollers to completely change the entire OA market.

If 2-5 high rollers start bidding up, say, Mark Bagley Spider-Man clone saga pages for some reason, then that stuff will rocket up in price, and probably start spilling over into all of Bagley's pages. Whether you and I think it makes any sense is irrelevant. I don't get the Herb Trimpe Hulk OA bump, for example. But, whatever. If people want to pay that kind of money for that stuff, so be it. I am not, so they are welcome to all of those pages.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

21 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Probably. It only takes 2-5 high rollers to completely change the entire OA market.

If 2-5 high rollers start bidding up, say, Mark Bagley Spider-Man clone sage pages for some reason, then that stuff will rocket up in price, and probably start spilling over into all of Bagley's pages. Whether you and I think it makes any sense is irrelevant. I don't get the Herb Trimpe Hulk OA bump, for example. But, whatever. If people want to pay that kind of money for that stuff, so be it. I am not, so they are welcome to all of those pages.

Sure, I obviously agree, two people that want something real bad are all you need. I was just attempting to take a WAG at the 'how many' question.

48 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If 2-5 high rollers start bidding up, say, Mark Bagley Spider-Man clone sage pages for some reason, then that stuff will rocket up in price, and probably start spilling over into all of Bagley's pages. Whether you and I think it makes any sense is irrelevant. I don't get the Herb Trimpe Hulk OA bump, for example. But, whatever. If people want to pay that kind of money for that stuff, so be it. I am not, so they are welcome to all of those pages.

This is an interesting analogy, at least to me;
since I Love Trimpe on Hull, and Hate Bagley on Everything...

hm

21 minutes ago, Doc McCoy said:

This is veering dangerously close to “Cabal” territory.  

Many of you may have already said too much. :fear:

You're all on The Cabal's blacklist now.  :eek: 

59f0c158c507f_THECABAL.thumb.jpg.253e321187e9f27c0ddc52c75b1dbffc.jpg

On 24/10/2017 at 8:26 PM, kbmcvay said:

Serious question: not looking for names or a list (but provide whatever you want), how many "whales" are in the hobby? I'm specifically referring to people that can and often do drop 6 figures on OA frequently (monthly or whenever they want). Excluding the high volume known dealers, of course.

Ok let's have a crack at this and estimate using Fermi's method for the US only. (All numbers are pulled out of my ****hole)

323 Million people in the US

Let's say 1 in 1000 people collect comics so 323,000 comic collectors in the US. (Given that Batman can sell 100,000 copies that is probably not unreasonable)

Top 1% of US Income  ($456,000 annually) 3230 comic collectors in the 1% income bracket.

1 in 10 Comic collectors may be art collectors (it is more niche) 323 people.

People able to spend a million a year let's say 10% so 32 people.

There were 13 people in the Cabal photo, and the one taking the photo........:flipbait:

11 hours ago, t3quila said:

Ok let's have a crack at this and estimate using Fermi's method for the US only. (All numbers are pulled out of my ****hole)

323 Million people in the US

Let's say 1 in 1000 people collect comics so 323,000 comic collectors in the US. (Given that Batman can sell 100,000 copies that is probably not unreasonable)

Top 1% of US Income  ($456,000 annually) 3230 comic collectors in the 1% income bracket.

1 in 10 Comic collectors may be art collectors (it is more niche) 323 people.

People able to spend a million a year let's say 10% so 32 people.

There were 13 people in the Cabal photo, and the one taking the photo........:flipbait:

Most if not all the people at that table could drop 6 figures on a piece of art, the question is how many of them actually have dropped 6 figures on a piece of art? In my opinion there are no more than 10 whales in this industry that can and do regularly spend 6 figures on artwork (not including dealers). 

I may be wrong, and no doubt Gene will correct me, but i believe that the majority of high rollers sitting around that table, would only pay a six figure amount on a piece of art if it was something they really really wanted, and as those kind of pieces dont come around too often, I would not classify them as whales using the definition set out by the OP -I'm specifically referring to people that can and often do drop 6 figures on OA frequently (monthly or whenever they want"

Edited by John S.