Exciting Comics 30 - CGC 6.5 Advice Please!
0

15 posts in this topic

13 posts

Hi all, 

I've been in the game quite a while, but I'm new to the boards. I've been lurking for years though and am still in awe at the expertise and kindness shown by so many of you! Looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

I'm in trade discussions right now, and I'm having trouble placing a value on my EC #30 6.5. The only data I can gather is that a .5 sold for $265 earlier this year, and a 2.0 is currently up on eBay for $595 OBO. 

Does anyone have any insight as to how I should value this comic so I can move forward with this possible huge trade? Thanks so much! Scans are below.

P1013082.JPG.jpeg

P1013083.JPG.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,621 posts

I would look for GPA data points AROUND the same issue like issues 25-35 and AROUND the same Grade, like 4.5-7.5 and try to extrapolate a value from that.  You can add or subtract more value for page quality or visual appeal (if you can see pictures) or writing, etc.  Or for other characteristics that might add or subtract value (cover artist, bondage, hitler, rips, tears, creases, 'classicness' of cover, 'keyness' of comic) make estimate adjustments accordingly.  That's how I'd do it.  You can employ technology or modeling to the extent you are comfortable and/or you have enough data points.

Edited by revat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,257 posts

My gut says 1200ish, maybe a touch more, but I'm pulling that squarely out of my posterior

Edited by Bronty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,544 posts

Another .5 (not CGC) sold for $143 earlier this year on Heritage - looked VGish, but missing a page, and a non-CGC 5.0 with white pages sold for $1314. It has tended to sell for more than some other issues due to the perception it was scarcer, though it seems to show up more than it used to. It's census population is 9, on the lower end for issues around the same number, but not as low as some earlier ones.

Based on prior sales, I would probably give it a trade value of around $1800-$2000, depending on what it's being traded for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,262 posts
12 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Another .5 (not CGC) sold for $143 earlier this year on Heritage - looked VGish, but missing a page, and a non-CGC 5.0 with white pages sold for $1314. It has tended to sell for more than some other issues due to the perception it was scarcer, though it seems to show up more than it used to. It's census population is 9, on the lower end for issues around the same number, but not as low as some earlier ones.

Based on prior sales, I would probably give it a trade value of around $1800-$2000, depending on what it's being traded for.

I wonder if it's a Superman #16 or a Hulk #181 ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,980 posts

Beautiful book - welcome to the boards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 posts

Thanks so much for all of your help, friends! It's truly appreciated. (And to the guy who mentioned Hulk 181, may I please borrow your crystal ball?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,648 posts
7 minutes ago, Bruiser Comics said:

Thanks so much for all of your help, friends! It's truly appreciated. (And to the guy who mentioned Hulk 181, may I please borrow your crystal ball?)

I wouldn't trade the Exciting for a Hulk 181. GA for Bronze, bad trade. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 posts

Even if the value differential works in my favor? Sorry if that's a dumb question - I'm fairly new to trading, though I'm a very avid collector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 posts
On 10/24/2017 at 5:33 PM, rjpb said:

Another .5 (not CGC) sold for $143 earlier this year on Heritage - looked VGish, but missing a page, and a non-CGC 5.0 with white pages sold for $1314. It has tended to sell for more than some other issues due to the perception it was scarcer, though it seems to show up more than it used to. It's census population is 9, on the lower end for issues around the same number, but not as low as some earlier ones.

Based on prior sales, I would probably give it a trade value of around $1800-$2000, depending on what it's being traded for.

Hey there, would you possibly be able to show me where you found the non-CGC 5.0 sale for $1,314.00? GPA is no help obviously because it's CGC only, and I'm not too good at researching this stuff. Thanks so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,544 posts

Heritage is a good source for sales histories, both raw and slabbed. They were the seller.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+790+231&Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ntt=1385871&ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritageExpanded-081514

 

comicsmv.com carries sales info for all slabbing companies, but it's more complete on some books than others, and doesn't list all titles.

You can also search comicconnect.com sold archives.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,544 posts
1 hour ago, Bruiser Comics said:

Even if the value differential works in my favor? Sorry if that's a dumb question - I'm fairly new to trading, though I'm a very avid collector.

That's the real rub when it comes to trades. it's hard enough to agree on value, and then straight up trades rely on both parties being generally more or at least as satisfied with the book or books they are getting.  One reason why I've found it hard to agree on trades.

Hulk 181s are easy to sell,and their value range established. Which means they are good trade bait for a dealer, as they know they know they can flip them easily for an known amount, and they seem to go up in value fairly consistently. The value of a 6.5 Exciting #30 is more of a guess, and isn't tested until one comes up in the market place. How much value in trade (rather than cash) you should take for it, should reflect how much you want the trade offered, how hard it would be to acquire otherwise, and how attached you are to the book you are trading away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 posts
51 minutes ago, rjpb said:

That's the real rub when it comes to trades. it's hard enough to agree on value, and then straight up trades rely on both parties being generally more or at least as satisfied with the book or books they are getting.  One reason why I've found it hard to agree on trades.

Hulk 181s are easy to sell,and their value range established. Which means they are good trade bait for a dealer, as they know they know they can flip them easily for an known amount, and they seem to go up in value fairly consistently. The value of a 6.5 Exciting #30 is more of a guess, and isn't tested until one comes up in the market place. How much value in trade (rather than cash) you should take for it, should reflect how much you want the trade offered, how hard it would be to acquire otherwise, and how attached you are to the book you are trading away.

Thank you for the link and for your killer advice. Words can't express how much I appreciate the insight! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,188 posts
54 minutes ago, rjpb said:

That's the real rub when it comes to trades. it's hard enough to agree on value, and then straight up trades rely on both parties being generally more or at least as satisfied with the book or books they are getting.  One reason why I've found it hard to agree on trades.

Hulk 181s are easy to sell,and their value range established. Which means they are good trade bait for a dealer, as they know they know they can flip them easily for an known amount, and they seem to go up in value fairly consistently. The value of a 6.5 Exciting #30 is more of a guess, and isn't tested until one comes up in the market place. How much value in trade (rather than cash) you should take for it, should reflect how much you want the trade offered, how hard it would be to acquire otherwise, and how attached you are to the book you are trading away.

Yeah, with something like this I would want enough in my favor to replace the traded "scarce" book with a lower grade copy.  Really a book you hate to see go.

Hulk 181s are readily available in every grade and every variation within each grade.  But liquidity can be king nowadays, so I can definitely see it making sense.  I hesitate to mention what I sold a 9.0 and 9.2 Hulk 181 for about 10 years ago.   It was a very good price at the time, but it sure makes me ill now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0