• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 damaged inside the slab, should i keep it?

72 posts in this topic

Hi. There's a chance this book was pressed before it was slabbed? What a lot of folks don't understand about comic book pressing is that it's similar to pressing a pair of pants, eventually the wrinkles or defects could show up again down the road. This doesn't happen all the time but its not uncommon. That's why it's very common to get books pressed & then immediately slabbed before wrinkles show up again. Hope this helps.

On 11/27/2017 at 9:43 AM, SteveC771 said:

Hi. There's a chance this book was pressed before it was slabbed? What a lot of folks don't understand about comic book pressing is that it's similar to pressing a pair of pants, eventually the wrinkles or defects could show up again down the road. This doesn't happen all the time but its not uncommon. That's why it's very common to get books pressed & then immediately slabbed before wrinkles show up again. Hope this helps.

Although that might be true with all the bad pressers out there.  Those creases and crunches are not from a bad press job reverting back to it's original form.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:38 PM, zoom625 said:

I did, they said no refund on shipping, which I think is bs

You're the one who wants to return it, I agree with the seller in this case.  Lose a $100 or lose $14K?  take your pick.  At least he took it back.  sheesh.  

On 11/27/2017 at 10:43 AM, SteveC771 said:

While that may be true in some specific instances, in this case the actual damage indicates this happened either just before encapsulation, while it was in the slab or the wrong label or grade was assigned. The bottom edge is lifted, and there is no way any reversion would create this amount of lift or the deep indents on either edge. It is consistent with an impact or shaken comic syndrome. 

On 12/4/2017 at 6:19 AM, Kevin76 said:

You're the one who wants to return it, I agree with the seller in this case.  Lose a $100 or lose $14K?  take your pick.  At least he took it back.  sheesh.  

I just say worth asking, that's all. I had a book come with a damaged case from another auction house, asked for them to cover shipping back for it to be reslabbed and they did. I could have sent it back without asking....but that would have done me no good.

On 12/4/2017 at 6:26 AM, joeypost said:

While that may be true in some specific instances, in this case the actual damage indicates this happened either just before encapsulation, while it was in the slab or the wrong label or grade was assigned. The bottom edge is lifted, and there is no way any reversion would create this amount of lift or the deep indents on either edge. It is consistent with an impact or shaken comic syndrome. 

Or cause a tear . . . :grin:

On 12/4/2017 at 6:19 AM, Kevin76 said:

I purchased a 9.8 not a 9.0 in a slab of 9.8 , so why am i the responsible one? Its their fault for not inspecting before shipping it to me. So relax with your sheesh...

Happy Holidays!

Edited by zoom625

4 hours ago, zoom625 said:

I purchased a 9.8 not a 9.0 in a slab of 9.8 , so why am i the responsible one? Its their fault for not inspecting before shipping it to me. So relax with your sheesh...

Happy Holidays!

For the record, I agree with you. It was enough aggravation without incurring 100 bucks in shipping costs. They could have at least offered 100 in store credit. This is bad PR for ComicConnect.