• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 damaged inside the slab, should i keep it?

72 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone, 

I recently purchased Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 for $14,500.00 , i was really pleased since it seemed like a great price. I got the book and noticed a crease on the back cover. 

My question is: Should i keep it or return it? The OCD is killing me, but i doubt i will ever again get this book for this price.

Any advice will help.

Thanks

cgc.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

13 minutes ago, greggy said:

Agreed

It was probably cheap for this reason.  I have no clue what you paid but I would imagine that it's five figures.  That's considerable money for a book you will ALWAYS think about if you keep it.

Hi, I paid 14,500$

It's either Shaken Comic Syndrome OR the book was damaged when it was originally encapsulated. There's also a BC bottom left corner crease. Was the damage evident in the original listing ?  If not, this may be a bigger problem as the seller may not take a return. It's 'possible' you can ship this off to CGC, in the slab, and they may arrange some sort of resolution. It will never be a 9.8 again but maybe, with a press, a 9.6 ? However, if there is any sign of damage to the slab, none of this will work. I am very sorry this happened to you. Keep us in the loop. And whatever you do, keep it in the slab !

It's totally worthless now, but I'd be more than willing to take it off your hands for what it's worth (nothing). 

I'll give you $14 to ship it. 

PM me please. 

I think you answered your own question:  IE your OCD focusing on the flaw.  

I would email the seller immediately and provide the pics---and ask about the flaw and why it was not disclosed.....see what he or she says first as they may offer a substantial refund and that might allow you to live with it.  If the numbers do not add up, absolutely return it....and make sure it is fully insured with an ID signature verification upon the return as I could see this going totally sideways on you.

8 hours ago, mysterio said:

You'll never get a 9.8 for that price because that book isn't a 9.8 even though the label says so.

Return it ASAP.

Hopefully he's not the type of dealer that has a disclaimer that slabbed books are not subject to return, which is actually common with some of the dealers.  :wishluck:

Whether you have OCD or not, the fact is, that book as it sits right now is an 8.0, 8.5, 9.0 at best. If there's a tear there...and it looks like there is...then it would be, at best, a 9.6, as Bob said...but a 9.6 with weakness in that area that could easily come back with a hard bang on a new case.

You have to think about it in terms of what it actually IS, not what the label says it is. $14,500 IS a great price...for a 9.8. This is not a 9.8.

$14,500 for an 8.0-9.0 is about $11,000-$12,000 too much.

I really hate that you can't stealth edit anymore.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus