• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 damaged inside the slab, should i keep it?

72 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Whether you have OCD or not, the fact is, that book as it sits right now is an 8.0, 8.5, 9.0 at best. If there's a tear there...and it looks like there is...then it would be, at best, a 9.6, as Bob said...but a 9.6 with weakness in that area that could easily come back with a hard bang on a new case.

You have to think about it in terms of what it actually IS, not what the label says it is. $14,500 IS a great price...for a 9.8. This is not a 9.8.

$14,500 for an 8.0-9.0 is about $11,000-$12,000 too much.

I really hate that you can't stealth edit anymore.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

It presents as a much lower grade copy, despite what the 9.8 sticker, or the seller themselves,  might claim.

Yup. I’d look at the situation from the opposite perspective; as overpaying for a 9.0 or such by $1000s, not receiving a 9.8 at a price reduced by $1000s below GPA.  Misdirection, not a ‘bargain’, especially if the seller failed to provide Nick with a back cover scan and full disclosure.  

Difficult to believe that anyone who owns an UHG, extremely expensive key would've been unaware of this when they thought about consigning the book to an auction site.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Pretty much what I was going to say.

It presents as a much lower grade copy, despite what the 9.8 sticker, or the seller themselves,  might claim.

Yup. I’d look at the situation from the opposite perspective; as overpaying for a 9.0 or such by $1000s, not receiving a 9.8 at a price reduced by $1000s below GPA.  Misdirection, not a ‘bargain’, especially if the seller failed to provide Nick with a back cover scan and full disclosure.  

Difficult to believe that anyone who owns an UHG, extremely expensive key would've been unaware of this when they thought about consigning the book to an auction site.

I guess that's why the price was so low, i shipped it back today.

3 hours ago, scooter99 said:

Where did you buy this book at? 

I don't think the damage is due to SCS, but as others have noted, it probably occurred when the book was encapsulated.  It's really a shame too, because that is a great looking book. 

got it from ComicConnect, through make an offer

Edited by zoom625

18 minutes ago, zoom625 said:

That's a fair decision, under the circumstances.  (thumbsu

17 minutes ago, Ggfjhv said:

Wow comic connect sold you that in that condition?!  They have such a good reputation.

In fairness to them, the book was probably not in their hands. Curious to know if a Back Cover was shown in the listing. Note to buyers, always ask for a BC scan. Even on the Board sales, if I don't see a BC scan, I generally don't even consider buying. There's a Board Sales thread going on right now for a uber high grade SA book. Lots of detailed FC scans and one, far away pic of the BC. However, I think I can see a BC edge problem, similar, but not as severe, to this thread. It happens.

6 hours ago, scooter99 said:

I don't think the damage is due to SCS, but as others have noted, it probably occurred when the book was encapsulated.  It's really a shame too, because that is a great looking book. 

If this is the case, then that's a real serious issue with the quality control process at CGC.

Especially when you would expect them to at least take a look at the book after encasing it in the slab to ensure it was done properly.  :facepalm:

That I H 181 7.5 cgc that I bought the other day only had a front cover scan. I spent a fair amount of money, because it looked pristine on the front with some dirt near the spine. It presented well so I purchased it and it had foxing on the back. I guess I'm stuck with it now... it was from a reputable dealer. It got cracked during shipping to me, got a little refund, now have it in a new cgc holder. Live and learn I guess... Expensive lesson... Most I've ever paid for a book lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Whenever I am thinking about buying an expensive book, my alarm goes off when a back cover scan isn't included. At that point, I call or email a request for one. $1k or more for a book I want to see the book in its entirety. Nothing says "I hate you" more than a hidden Goober Grape Incident on my back cover.

On 10/27/2017 at 1:26 PM, Foolkiller said:

On 10/26/2017 at 4:11 PM, zoom625 said:

When you shipped it back did comic connect agree to actually take it back?  Or did you ship it just asking for a refund.  

:popcorn:

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:26 PM, Foolkiller said:

When you shipped it back did comic connect agree to actually take it back?  Or did you ship it just asking for a refund.  

47 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

:popcorn:

x2