• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best "Bang" for my Buck
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Apologies in advance for such an open ended question but when I have a question I go to the best.  Looking to spend about $500 on a good solid key.  For me, it'd be the most I would have ever spent on a single book.  Doesn't need to be the greatest copy but one with decent visual appeal.  I'd take a 2.0 if it had a decent cover.  Not looking to sell it but one that would keep it's value would be nice if I would need to sell down the road.  

I'm really looking for something silver/bronze age as more recent books just don't have that excitement factor at least for me.  Are there any good deals still out there?  Could I get a low grade IH181 (realizing it'd have no MVS) or AC 252 for about that?  Only modern book I would consider is a BA 12.

So, what is the best bang for my buck?

5 hours ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Apologies in advance for such an open ended question but when I have a question I go to the best.  Looking to spend about $500 on a good solid key.  For me, it'd be the most I would have ever spent on a single book.  Doesn't need to be the greatest copy but one with decent visual appeal.  I'd take a 2.0 if it had a decent cover.  Not looking to sell it but one that would keep it's value would be nice if I would need to sell down the road.  

I'm really looking for something silver/bronze age as more recent books just don't have that excitement factor at least for me.  Are there any good deals still out there?  Could I get a low grade IH181 (realizing it'd have no MVS) or AC 252 for about that?  Only modern book I would consider is a BA 12.

So, what is the best bang for my buck?

Ok, it's probably my turn for public service, so.....

its to open of a question. I need more information. What comics do you like for story and art? i gather from the information given that you're not a flipper. Do you even read comics? Or is it just a long term investment? Define what "a good deal" is for you. 

Knowing next to nothing about your personals here is my answer:

marvel premeirer 47 in the best grade possible. Ant man is a solid character, blah blah blah he's in the movies. 

A couple of contenders, both of which might have gotten a little ahead of themselves (ie due for a short term drop from current levels), are Werewolf by Night 32 and Iron Man 55, both of which can be found in the $500 range (upper-mid grade/lower-high grades).

Maybe some of the top grade bronze firsts, like MP 47 mentioned above - ST 169, SME 15, or AT 25.

Edited by grebal
clarify

10 hours ago, NoMan said:

Ok, it's probably my turn for public service, so.....

its to open of a question. I need more information. What comics do you like for story and art? i gather from the information given that you're not a flipper. Do you even read comics? Or is it just a long term investment? Define what "a good deal" is for you. 

Knowing next to nothing about your personals here is my answer:

marvel premeirer 47 in the best grade possible. Ant man is a solid character, blah blah blah he's in the movies. 

I'm a reader.  I definitely read all my comics.  Right now my prides are my ASM 300 and GL 76.  I love the art so a nice cover is key, because I love to display my books but it's not a deal breaker. 

13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd say ASM 129, I did however see and I H 181 in cgc 1.8 sell for $499 the other day, so I suppose you could hold out for an Incredible Hulk 181

Jiminy jillikers, a 1.8 is $500???? I haven't been keeping up with the book lately, and I know it's always hot, but that just seems nuts. We really are through the looking glass. 

My first guess was going to be Fantastic Four 5, but it looks like 2.0s have blown way past $500.  How about Fantastic Four 4?  You might be able to hunt down a halfway decent 2.0 for around $500.  I think that book has room to grow and it's a great cover!

I do collect comics and not looking to "invest" but I like to a wide range of books and as I mentioned something that would maintain it's value if for some reason down the road I would have to sell it.  My long term hope is to pass these down to my nephews a heirlooms.  What they do to them is up to them.  

I enjoy so many types of books I often have a hard time narrowing down what to get so I like to hear some options.

17 minutes ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

I do collect comics and not looking to "invest" but I like to a wide range of books and as I mentioned something that would maintain it's value if for some reason down the road I would have to sell it.  My long term hope is to pass these down to my nephews a heirlooms.  What they do to them is up to them.  

I enjoy so many types of books I often have a hard time narrowing down what to get so I like to hear some options.

long term, something golden age.

IMHO, you'd want something in high grade, but also something key.  So in that price range, I'd recommend something like X-men 101 in a 9.4.  While it's true you could get a nice X-men 94 for that money, it wouldn't be as Minty.  People forget that a comic that is "Minty" essentially is key because some collectors will only consider high grade specimens.  There's a lot going on with that kind of book.

I would not go after a comic that is enjoying movie hype because that will dry up.  I'd also avoid specific "darlings" that everyone is talking about right now (flavor of the month) because that "conversation hype" can also die out.  Buy something minty and well-liked over a long period of time.

My picks in order:

Highest grade for the money for:

ASM 129 (captures the spidey and Punish fan bases)

IH 181* (captures the hulk, wolverine, and x-men fan bases) *probably should be first but feel stronger about ASM 129.

ASM 300 (captures the spidey and venom fan bases)

NM 98 (captures the Deadpool and X-men fan bases)

Any further back and you're looking at higher risk for characters at that price or fair to incomplete/qualified or restored grades for characters with guaranteed staying power.  Maybe find some good deals on multiple low grade FF's, TOS, or JIM's to diversify the characters and get more than 1 book.