• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘The Raid’ Vet Gareth Evans in Talks to Direct DC Comics ‘Deathstroke’ Film (Exclusive)

35 posts in this topic

Did Gareth Evans Already Reveal His Comic Inspiration For 'Deathstroke'?

MNPXeJ6.png

Gareth Evans, who is best known for his work on the martial arts franchise The Raid, recently shared a photo of the Deathstroke trade paperback Gods of War on his Instagram.

Gods of War collects the first six issues of Tony S. Daniel and Sandu Florea's Deathstroke run, which was released from 2014 to 2016. The series finds Slade on a hunt for revenge, after he loses everything and is presumed dead by the world. His crusade causes him to cross paths with (spoiler alert) his father, Odysseus.

Given Evans' past filmography, this sort of revenge-fueled Deathstroke story certainly seems like a good fit for him to bring to screen. The fact that the story follows Slade essentially building a new life for himself also seems helpful as well, as it would provide a natural way to introduce the lore of Deathstroke to general audiences.

'Arrow's Manu Bennett on Joe Manganiello Bringing Deathstroke to the Big Screen

deathstroke-arrow-justice-league-1059601

At Heroes & Villains Fanfest in Atlanta this weekend, Bennett praised Manganiello as being a "fantastic" guy and for all the hard work he had put in to become the character.

"Joe Manganiello is gonna bring, well he's already brought, Deathstroke to the screen in the new Justice League so..." Bennett said. "You know, Joe's a really fantastic, fantastic wonderful guy who's done a lot of work in preparing himself for whatever his next role is, you know, and I know physically he's like the right size and everything for a great Slade Wilson."

Looking the part is something that Bennett revealed was important to George Perez, the artist who first drew Deathstroke. Bennett said that when he met Perez, the artist wasn't exactly impressed with him as a casting choice, though the character's creator Marv Wolfman was much happier with him.

"I remember meeting George Perez who drew the first Deathstroke on the Teen Titans comic cover, and when I met him at a convention I said 'hi George I'm Manu, I'm playing Slade Wilson on Arrow' and he went 'You don't look anything like him' and I said 'George what do you mean?' but then a couple of months later I met Marv Woflman and Marv Wolfman told me that he thought that I played the role perfectly so I got a major blow and then I got an uplifting kind of scenario."

"You know Joe, Joe's going to do something wonderful on the big screen with him and so, maybe when that has figured itself out, because Warner Bros are behind them both, right now they just want to put it out there in the film world," Bennett said. "I've done my little run, I've had a good last episode so now Joe will go and do something on the big screen and maybe when there’s a bit of a window in between that they'll say that Marc [Guggenheim] can write some more stuff, maybe even a tv series! Let's just put that one out there."

That's cool that there is respect between the actors on this fantastic character.

Finally, a DC movie I'd be excited about! Also think that Manu's Deathstroke run was the best part of the Arrow show. The Raid is one of the all time great action flicks.

Edited by F For Fake

Could The Teen Titans Be In 'Deathstroke'?

deathstroke-teen-titans-dceu-1064771-640

Following the positive response to a certain post-credit cameo in Justice League, one of the films that fans have been clamoring for is the Deathstroke solo film. The project was first announced in October of this year, with The Raid's Gareth Evans directing and Joe Manganiello starring.

If the Teen Titans were to appear in Deathstroke, it would entirely depend on what story the film wants to tell.

As DC Comics fans know, Slade is pretty regularly tied to the Titans mythos, serving as both an ally and adversary for the group. If they're wanting to tell a story involving Slade as an established antihero, this leaves the door open quite a bit.

But if the film is set to serve as a sort of retroactive origin story for Slade (something the DCEU seems to be excelling at, considering the response to Wonder Woman and Aquaman), then it would end up being some sort of adaptation of "The Judas Contract".