• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best all-ages story arcs?

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Those are all great suggestions.  To narrow down the scope of the question, how about classic storylines that are approachable for kids interested in collecting due to exposure from movies, TV, etc.  Hope that helps a little.

There is a collected edition of Spidey Super Stories that introduces a ton of marvel characters.  I'd recommend the whole run to pre-teens.

But really what I think you might want right now is the Infinity Gauntlet mini, given your new guidance.

3 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

True...any classic runs that you like in particular?

The first 20 ASM’s are classic.  Also 31-33 and 39-40.

FF run from 44-77 is full of greatness, with 48-50, 57-60 and 72-77 as the standouts.

All of those are available in the Masterworks format.

4 hours ago, CKB said:

There is a collected edition of Spidey Super Stories that introduces a ton of marvel characters.  I'd recommend the whole run to pre-teens.

But really what I think you might want right now is the Infinity Gauntlet mini, given your new guidance.

Yup. The key issue here, which is too different, too leftfield, too controversial for Marvel Studios to have the stones to incorporate into Infinity War or The Avengers is this one...

97756_20070630135117_large.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

Half price books has books like bone and also Mary Jane and Spider-Man in the kids section bin next to the regular comics... I flip through them every once in a while thinking I'm going to see a Batman adventures 12 hahaha. Did find a bone #1 6th printing

22 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Those are all great suggestions.  To narrow down the scope of the question, how about classic storylines that are approachable for kids interested in collecting due to exposure from movies, TV, etc.  Hope that helps a little.

I think the problem is that writers have steered away from that traditional family entertainment writing style.  Comics today are too adult and kid comics are well, too kiddie.  From my experience, kids don't want to read something outside of their era.  I can give you a list of superhero books that meet your scope.   However, comics are a popular culture medium.  They reference the current times they were written in and the artwork appears dated to newer, younger eyes.   

I haven't read these but I think they should be ok:  Wonder Woman: The True Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Amazon-Jill-Thompson/dp/1401249019

Any of the earth one books  as these were designed for bookstore consumer  Superman, Batman and Teen Titans- https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Earth-One-Comics-Numbered/dp/1401224695/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1509360871&sr=1-1&keywords=superman+year+one, https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Earth-One-Geoff-Johns/dp/1401232094/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1509360936&sr=1-1&keywords=Batman+earth+one, https://www.amazon.com/Teen-Titans-Earth-One-Vol/dp/1401259081/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1509360973&sr=1-2&keywords=teen+titans+earth+one

On 10/29/2017 at 5:43 AM, Key Collector Comics said:

With that guidance all  I say is that coupling Duck Tales cartoon with Barks/Rosa comics and Avatar: Last Airbender cartoon with the Avatar: Airbender Lost Tales and follow up comic collections are clearly your best. 

I'd also add that for teens coupling the Spiderman movies with the classic Ditko run also is a no brainer.

On 10/29/2017 at 12:43 PM, Key Collector Comics said:

To be honest most of the story arcs that you can associate with movies and TV  from Marvel and DC are not going to be truly suitable for all ages reading, either in theme or use of language. Most of those books would require a level of independent reading in the first place, as a parent you can't really read comics out loud to kids, it just doesn't work well ... it's not like reading prose from a chapter book. I think if I gave my kids classic Spidey, Avengers or Batman it's quite likely they would get bored and potentially not finish them. Give them "Lockjaw and the Pet Avengers" and they might actually finish it.

That's part of why things like Uncle Scrooge or Bone or Spider-Man loves Mary Jane are brilliant suggestions. They are written for the audience you are thinking of. If you want to get kids into comics then personally I think you need to start somewhere different, then maybe move on to the mainstream e.g. start with something like Uncle Scrooge / Long Gone Don / Phoebe and Her Unicorn / Chi's Sweet home > then move onto Adventure Time / My Little Pony / Batman Adventures / Teen Titans Go! > then move onto recent Teen Titans / Oz / Simpsons > then move onto the next thing and the next thing. Personally I have found it very challenging when first trying to find comic book material for kids that they actually enjoyed and engaged with, but there is plenty out there if you go looking. Marvel & DC actually still have a surprising amount of stuff out there aimed at younger readers, as does Boom! ... but there are also so many indie gems and lots cool stuff from the manga world as well.

You also can't take all the recommendations on here at face value just because something is a "classic". If you include Tintin because it's a classic then you also have to be aware that certain volumes will be "of their era" when it comes to dealing with issues like race or gender (lack of female characters). It's not that I think these books are necessarily out to harm anyone, just that the world view has shifted over time. I'm also not picking on Tintin... there are plenty of similar examples in other classic runs/story arcs.

You can try and compile a list on here but unless you are getting a lot of interested parents involved then you are going to be better off scraping the blogs out there covering this topic.

3 hours ago, Peshka said:

Uncanny X-Men Annual #9/New Mutants Special #1

The X-men goes to Asgard. Good storyline and artwork as well (thumbsu

The Arthur Adams books. Pretty good suggestion.

Edited by Ken Aldred