• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best all-ages story arcs?

42 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Peshka said:

Uncanny X-Men Annual #9/New Mutants Special #1

The X-men goes to Asgard. Good storyline and artwork as well (thumbsu

Best 2 modern books ever drawn. I loved the inking job on xma9. Art had a team of inkers working on his tight pencils and they were sooooo fine that most got lost in print. But I absolutely loved that effect overall  I wish Arts finishes were as fine as they were back then. Now they're all thick and grotesque 

I've tried to introduce my son (9 years old) to comics, and it's been tough. Kid's today have video game attention spans. The contemporary drawn out story arcs with little forward movement from issue to issue are terrible for kids. In fact, I would not recommend any story arcs old or new to introduce comics to kids.

I've had some limited success with single issue self-contained stories, e.g., Marvel Two In One, Marvel Team Up, etc. I'll typically grab beater issues of books like this from the dollar box for my son. He'll read them, but doesn't seem to have the passion.

While my kids are voracious readers of "chapter" books, I don't have much confidence they will click with comics in any meaningful way. For visual entertainment, it's all about video games or TV.