• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does unverified signature detract from grade

11 posts in this topic

HI - Just got my Amazing Spider-man 238 graded and received a 7.0. among the comments is name on cover in magic marker. The book is in excellent shape and i had it autographed by Johnny Romita Jr. at a comic store signing. So my question is - Does the unverified signature reduce the grade of the book? Thanks for the input.

On 10/27/2017 at 9:16 AM, Rick1014 said:

HI - Just got my Amazing Spider-man 238 graded and received a 7.0. among the comments is name on cover in magic marker. The book is in excellent shape and i had it autographed by Johnny Romita Jr. at a comic store signing. So my question is - Does the unverified signature reduce the grade of the book? Thanks for the input.

Hello,

Is your book graded with a qualified label (green) or universal (blue)? 

If it's green, the label indicates the grade the book would receive if the signature weren't present.  It's qualifying the grade by saying it's structurally a 7.0, but there is a signature on it that would normally bring the technical grade down. 

If it's blue, the book was graded considering the signature as a defect and thus lowering the grade.  This means the book was likely structurally a 9.2-9.8 without the signature, but the signature brings the grade down.  The total grade drop is determined by the size and location of the signature.  Large signatures across the artwork are downgraded much more than small ones placed unobtrusively.

Edited by Turtle
fixed a typo

28 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Hello,

Is your book graded with a quailed label (green) or universal (blue)? 

If it's green, the label indicates the grade the book would receive if the signature weren't present.  It's qualifying the grade by saying it's structurally a 7.0, but there is a signature on it that would normally bring the technical grade down. 

If it's blue, the book was graded considering the signature as a defect and thus lowering the grade.  This means the book was likely structurally a 9.2-9.8 without the signature, but the signature brings the grade down.  The total grade drop is determined by the size and location of the signature.  Large signatures across the artwork are downgraded much more than small ones placed unobtrusively.

Hi - Thanks for the input. I haven't received the book back as of yet, but will interested to see which label is used.

7 minutes ago, Rick1014 said:

Hi - Thanks for the input. I haven't received the book back as of yet, but will interested to see which label is used.

I could be wrong, but I think if you don't mention it, they'll go green.  If you have a preference, you should call them and ask (assuming its not too late).

2 hours ago, Rick1014 said:

Hi - I just noticed that it does say qualified on the submission page. Thanks for the assist.

In that case, it's exactly what Adam said - the book is a 7.0 with the signature being ignored for grading purposes.

Not to necessarily push you to the competition but CBCS does have a Red Label Service wherein they will have a 3rd party authenticate that the signature is legitimate through scientific means which I would argue is better than green label.  I am hoping that CGC will do the same one day but I have an odd feeling CBCS will see that as an assault on their intellectual property

On 10/28/2017 at 1:05 AM, Douglas M. Haus said:

Not to necessarily push you to the competition but CBCS does have a Red Label Service wherein they will have a 3rd party authenticate that the signature is legitimate through scientific means which I would argue is better than green label.  I am hoping that CGC will do the same one day but I have an odd feeling CBCS will see that as an assault on their intellectual property

And why doesn't CGC do that?

On 8/5/2019 at 12:44 PM, Patrick Horn said:

And why doesn't CGC do that?

They are considered the gold standard for signatures on comics.

They probably think that an authentication service of non-witnessed signatures would devalue an existing profitable revenue stream which they already have market dominance over.  

1 hour ago, revat said:

They are considered the gold standard for signatures on comics.

They probably think that an authentication service of non-witnessed signatures would devalue an existing profitable revenue stream which they already have market dominance over.  

They might also be hesitant to jump into a market with very limited upside and tons of risk - there's a reason none of the signature authentication services actually guarantee their findings (shrug)