• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single issues vs tpb
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2017 at 11:51 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I'm pretty much exactly the opposite. 

The tablet I use is extremely light, large, and I enjoy reading comic books and the daily news on it.

Just a different type of tactile. :smile:

Just curious you still do all Digital ?

49 minutes ago, wickedmountain said:

Just curious you still do all Digital ?

Yes.  I’m much happier with this.  

Despite having a largish comic book collection, I’ve realised that I’m primarily interested in reading the stories in the most stress-free and accessible manner possible, without being impeded by scarcity, worrying about condition, or being enslaved to the expense of the secondary physical comic market.  Also, due to disability issues, I’m content with avoiding journeys to comic shops and conventions.

Given my circumstances, it’s working well.

My 2c. Digital doesn't capture the experience for me, and bothers my eyes. I occasionally read comics on an IPAD PRO, but again (maybe because I spend too much time on computer for other stuff) it is bothersome. Too bad they don't have a large color kindle, that doesn't have the same annoying glare effects.

I really would rather read comics than hoard and store, with fear of creating a tick mark from reading.

I've went with Marvel Masterworks and haven't looked back (I also get a lot of omnibuses as well, for cost efficiency).

With regards to value going up, MMW are rare enough that you won't lose much monetary value. On the contrary, many desirable back issue MMWs go for astronomical prices on EBAY, etc.

Good luck to finding a set for cheap.  Many prefer MMW for the quality of restoration, size, feel, etc.. I can definitely understand that.  

Epics are another low cost way to go, but they are spread out in content. Some available, some not. Whereas, MMWs are mostly complete.

With moderns, you may have to wait a while as the MMW titles are still working their way through the bronze era.  But you may have better luck in OMNIs and epics.

Some OMNIs are also astronomically priced, but occasionally go in reprint (e.g. TOD 1).

Edited by bronze_rules

7 hours ago, wickedmountain said:

Hi Just curious if you feel the same way nowadays in 2019 as you did then ? Since prices go up quickly nowadays on some modern books .

No, I had not brought new books to keep as part of collection for some years. Beside, some modern books are good for flipping. I just sold Harbinger #1 9.8 CGC last year ... got a good price. I don’t mind buy some if I know I can get good prices in selling.

I’m just basically keeping away from that era, not to collect. However, I still read for entertainment thru TPB books. I prefer BA/SA/GA in collecting for myself.

7 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yes.  I’m much happier with this.  

Despite having a largish comic book collection, I’ve realised that I’m primarily interested in reading the stories in the most stress-free and accessible manner possible, without being impeded by scarcity, worrying about condition, or being enslaved to the expense of the secondary physical comic market.  Also, due to disability issues, I’m content with avoiding journeys to comic shops and conventions.

Given my circumstances, it’s working well.

Ah i see nice man i'm all digital myself lately anyway :)