• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 90s High Print Run Books You Like Anyway

41 posts in this topic

My shop has been getting a lot of stuff lately from this era and tossing it into the cheap-o boxes.  It makes my life harder as there is a lot of drek to sift through. But, strangely, I have actually seen some books I don't remember getting bombarded with and have picked up a few copies for fun.

One of these is She Hulk 50. I like the cover, the gimmick works. And frankly, when I saw it I don't remember seeing it before (I must have, but maybe I never looked at the cover). Anyway, I bought a few really nice copies super cheap.  They don't sell for much, but they do actually sell occasionally.  Probably money wasted as the only appeal is the cover, but when She Hulk is in a movie..... Anyway, 10 issues later the series was done.

But seriously, She Hulk murders John Byrne, there is a  L'il She Hulk appearance...

1 hour ago, the blob said:

My shop has been getting a lot of stuff lately from this era and tossing it into the cheap-o boxes.  It makes my life harder as there is a lot of drek to sift through. But, strangely, I have actually seen some books I don't remember getting bombarded with and have picked up a few copies for fun.

One of these is She Hulk 50. I like the cover, the gimmick works. And frankly, when I saw it I don't remember seeing it before (I must have, but maybe I never looked at the cover). Anyway, I bought a few really nice copies super cheap.  They don't sell for much, but they do actually sell occasionally.  Probably money wasted as the only appeal is the cover, but when She Hulk is in a movie..... Anyway, 10 issues later the series was done.

But seriously, She Hulk murders John Byrne, there is a  L'il She Hulk appearance...

Interesting issue with many different artists.  

10 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I was really into Jim Lee's X-Men at the time, but my favorite was X-Men 268.  The splash page is one of my favorite image of Captain America anywhere, and Claremont was still writing.  Just wish I'd bought the t-shirt at the time.

9zJyJ

I read the Claremont run again, recently.

The early Jim Lee work holds up well.

That's the issue that made you realise he had real talent.

I loved Erik Larsen on Spiderman and ASM, both AFTER McFarlane's Spideys.  I actually like the regular Spidey more than the ASM for that time period.  Actually, I liked the regular McSpidey more than the ASM McSpidey too.  But I enjoyed all of those spideys immensely

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Loved the Keown hulk with Peter David.

Love surfer 50,75, and 100.

Nightfall was great as well loved batman 497

Yes, those Keown Hulk books are ones I pathologically buy.

And I buy the Kieth MCP wolverines.  I know I am just throwing money away, but I enjoyed his stuff.

And yes, I buy SPLATT covers if they're in nice shape.

And I buy the Liefield New Mutant books when I see them.

And I can't pass on a Gen13 #1 (and a few others).

It's like I never left the early 90s, but the thing is, in the early 90s I didn't buy new books, only GA and SA.

On 10/27/2017 at 7:55 PM, porcupine48 said:

I still love Silver Surfer 50 and Ghost Rider 15.

YES! I buy every copy of these that I find in nice shape for a buck or less. I've got a pretty good stack of Ghost Rider 15's going. Last spring I had a chunk of GR 15's from a dealer's bargain boxes, and he kept asking me what was going on with the Ghost Rider 15's, like I was trying to pull one over on him, like it had blown up over night or something. I just had to level with the guy: I like cool glow in the dark skulls!

To that end, I also dig The Spectre Glow in the Dark issues (1,8,13) and Green Lantern 50.

I'm also the type of insufficiently_thoughtful_person who will buy X-Men 1 for 25 cents a pop whenever I see them, because, I dunno, I guess I need a longbox full of books from my youth that I could barely ever give away again if I needed to.

Edited by F For Fake

On 10/30/2017 at 6:16 PM, the blob said:

Yes, those Keown Hulk books are ones I pathologically buy.

And I buy the Kieth MCP wolverines.  I know I am just throwing money away, but I enjoyed his stuff.

And yes, I buy SPLATT covers if they're in nice shape.

And I buy the Liefield New Mutant books when I see them.

And I can't pass on a Gen13 #1 (and a few others).

It's like I never left the early 90s, but the thing is, in the early 90s I didn't buy new books, only GA and SA.

Yes on Gen 13 1. I buy every copy I can find for $1 or less. That's one of those books that I distinctly recall being a $50-$60 "wall book" way back when I was working at a LCS. Something about finding those for $1 now, I just can't pass them up. Or any JSC Gen 13's, for that matter, especially the miniseries. If they're NM-ish and $1, I buy 'em. It helps that I also really loved the title back then.

Not necessarily over printed or even 90s, but I am at the point where I buy every early jsc cover (gi joe) and turners witchblades. Yes, I know, I buy a lot of books for their covers, I am terrible.

10 hours ago, F For Fake said:

To that end, I also dig The Spectre Glow in the Dark issues (1,8,13) 

Forgot about those.

Great example of a quite appropriate gimmick cover, containing very well-written stories by John Ostrander and dark, Gene Colan- like artwork from Tom Mandrake.  Not all comics with such covers are superficial and complete garbage inside. A high quality run.