• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 90s High Print Run Books You Like Anyway

41 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Forgot about those.

Great example of a quite appropriate gimmick cover, containing very well-written stories by John Ostrander and dark, Gene Colan- like artwork from Tom Mandrake.  Not all comics with such covers are superficial and complete garbage inside. A high quality run.

I own a page of OA from TEC 885 a Tom Mandrake book about the Scarecrow, I don't have a pic off hand but if you look at my "profile back-drop picture" you can see it.

I finally found a copy of TEC 885 at Half Price Books recently, and I snagged it for a $1.50 to read, not a bad book :) 

3 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

Not early 90's, but I remember PWJ 6 and 7 and the Longshot mini-series being wall books when I was young.  I still pick those up whenever I see them cheap.  

Longshot 1 is still a first appearance and early Art Adams. That's due for a revival. But PWJ, probably not. That's when the market was starved for Wolverine and Punisher appearances

Fun fact: PWJ # 1 was the highest print run modern book until Legends of the Dark Knight # 1 came out.

Doesn't matter. I started collecting when it was a $12, then $20 wall book. I love PWJ # 1-19.

I'll also pick up Silver Surfer 34-51 or so when I see them.

And yes -- Youngblood # 1. Just 'cuz.

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Forgot about those.

Great example of a quite appropriate gimmick cover, containing very well-written stories by John Ostrander and dark, Gene Colan- like artwork from Tom Mandrake.  Not all comics with such covers are superficial and complete garbage inside. A high quality run.

Colan did 1-6 of the 80's series, and that whole run was meh.  Ostrander and Mandrake's run in the 90's was amazing.  There are plenty of $1 singles floating around that make me want to build a second run, but everyone picks the Mr Terrific issue, and the final issue is dreadfully hard to find in the wild.

12 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

Not early 90's, but I remember PWJ 6 and 7 and the Longshot mini-series being wall books when I was young.  I still pick those up whenever I see them cheap.  

Yes, the same here as well! I distinctly remember Longshot being a huge deal back in the day. I've picked up three or four #1's out of dollar bins just in the past year. Plus it's Art Adams in his prime, it's hard not to love it.

14 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Put aside the ill feelings towards the artist and recognize this book's greatness!  I think everybody bought at least 5 copies when this came out.

Always on the lookout for a nice copy in the dollar bin...

659f095ec48e0792da5655c351fa9137_xl.jpg.c8e57efdbf69a07b4e584b75b1c22798.jpg

I'd already stopped following Liefeld's work, with X-Force 2 being my last, and so I dodged this particular bullet.

59 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'd already stopped following Liefeld's work, with X-Force 2 being my last, and so I dodged this particular bullet.

That's fair, since Rob always dodged the bullet of drawing feet. 

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I probably should buy these for $1 when I see them, but I just can't bring myself to. Like Maxx 1 or Darker Image #1, and I actually liked Maxx a lot. At some point I need to stop.

6 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Put aside the ill feelings towards the artist and recognize this book's greatness!  I think everybody bought at least 5 copies when this came out.

Always on the lookout for a nice copy in the dollar bin...

659f095ec48e0792da5655c351fa9137_xl.jpg.c8e57efdbf69a07b4e584b75b1c22798.jpg

10 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Did anyone else check the years on their favorite drek, and realize all the best Marvel stuff was '88-'89?

:cloud9: Those were my glory Macs Milk/Beckers buying days!I'd ride around on my bike to all the corner stores to make sure I got all my issues.

11 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Did anyone else check the years on their favorite drek, and realize all the best Marvel stuff was '88-'89?

Well, it was the pre-Image era where all of the great copper artists were still with Marvel.  You had Silvestri/Lee X-Men, Mcfarlane/Larsen ASM, Liefeld New Mutants, Whilce Portacio Punisher, Ron Lim Silver Surfer, a very palatable JR jr on Daredevil, Jim Lee Punisher War Journal, I always liked Sal Buscema Spectacular Spiderman, Ron Frenz was enjoyable on Thor, and some very underrated John Buscema work on the Wolverine 2nd series.  John Byrne was looking decent on Namor and Valentino was good on the Guardians.  Mark Texeria was just getting started on Ghost Rider.  Even Classic X-Men was giving us some great Lightle covers and John Bolton backups. (I guess I'm including 1990 in that era of greatness too.)  I even thought Saviuk Web of Spiderman was decent.

Man, looking at all those names makes me realize how distinct all the artistic styles were during that time.  Nobody was really copying anyone else and every one was doing their thing.  Even though the print runs were high, one could hardly call any of that drek.  It really was the best era for Marvel if you consider quality as a whole.  As a kid, only the Avengers and FF titles  were lame at the time.

For me, the drek era began after the original artists left Marvel, and all you had left were the Liefield imitators and every thing else went anime. 

14 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

It's the first comic from Image:sumo:.  That alone should make it mandatory in any collection for comic enthusiasts.  It's worth the $1.00!!!lol

Good point, when a 25-year-old comic is available for 60% off the original cover price... there's not much to lose.  Imagine getting Amazing Fantasy #15 in 1987 for 5 cents. :takeit:

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Good point, when a 25-year-old comic is available for 60% off the original cover price... there's not much to lose.  Imagine getting Amazing Fantasy #15 in 1987 for 5 cents. :takeit:

What, like a second one?

:insane:

Collecting from 1989-1993 was an absolute blast -- great time to be a kid comic collector.

I'd throw in Batman as well. Dang. Batman 400-500 was about as solid a run as one could do in a 7 year period. So many classic stories:

• Year One
  • 10 Nights of the Beast
  • Death in the Family
  • Many Deaths of Batman
  • Lonely Place of Dying
  • Joker's Return
  • Dark Knight, Dark City
  • Knightfall

Okay - maybe skip 460-485 or so, but 400-457 and 488-500 were amazing.