• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A star raises in the midwest. (the Cheap Shot Comix story)

22 posts in this topic

Hello, fellow comic book enthusiasts!

My name is John Anthony Krause & I am trying to start an underground comic book label in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I was curious how many of you think people today are still as interested in underground comic book movements as they were back in the 60s-70s?

I thought there would be more of a story 

Well, Revat. Let's see. I was a hobo for 12 years. Deciding to settle down before it killed me, I moved to Oklahoma where I have family (But where none of my rowdy friends live, with their fancy drugs, fast women and other assorted distractions.) When I arrived I learned that my sister and brother-in-law needed someone to watch their 1 years old. After very little time it became obvious that I was now the live-in Nanny. (2 years later, I now watch their 10 year old, 3 year old and 3 month old.) 

Having a sudden surplus of time on my hands in the evenings, I needed something to occupy my mind (there's actually a lot more to being a hobo than you might think. It's not all steal'n pies outta windows.). I've loved comic books since I was a child and running an underground comic book label has been a dream of mine since I was in highschool. And here we are.

I hope that satisfies some of your story expectations, Revat.

10 minutes ago, Cheap Shot Comix said:

Well, Revat. Let's see. I was a hobo for 12 years. Deciding to settle down before it killed me, I moved to Oklahoma where I have family (But where none of my rowdy friends live, with their fancy drugs, fast women and other assorted distractions.) When I arrived I learned that my sister and brother-in-law needed someone to watch their 1 years old. After very little time it became obvious that I was now the live-in Nanny. (2 years later, I now watch their 10 year old, 3 year old and 3 month old.) 

Having a sudden surplus of time on my hands in the evenings, I needed something to occupy my mind (there's actually a lot more to being a hobo than you might think. It's not all steal'n pies outta windows.). I've loved comic books since I was a child and running an underground comic book label has been a dream of mine since I was in highschool. And here we are.

Welcome to the boards.  Good luck with your venture - I hope all works out and it is good to have more Okie state members even though it doesn't sound like you a native OK.  I was born in T-town and lived in a small town near Broken Arrow.  Been in OKC since the mid 70s.  

Again, good luck.

38 minutes ago, Cheap Shot Comix said:

Very satisfied! Welcome!

Have you tramped, Porcupine48? Or someone you know? Some people do it until they're old folk. I got too old for it while I was still young enough to enjoy a few years of sleeping under a roof.

Jayman, steal'n pies is just something cartoon hobos did in the 30s. Sorry to disappoint. But we did ride freight, busk for our dinner and hide from the bulls. I once snuck across the border into Canada on a tobacco smuggling boat. That's a fun story.

20 hours ago, Cheap Shot Comix said:

And I almost went that route, but I can afford to print a few hundred copies every couple of months whether they sell or not. So I figured, what the hell? If it doesn't work out it'll be a fun hobby/adventure.

I was thinking you could publish zines.  I'm sure most of the self publishing is done that way by necessity, not choice.  So if you found a few zine creators who wanted to sign up, you could build a stable.

1 hour ago, Cheap Shot Comix said:

Jayman, steal'n pies is just something cartoon hobos did in the 30s. Sorry to disappoint. But we did ride freight, busk for our dinner and hide from the bulls. I once snuck across the border into Canada on a tobacco smuggling boat. That's a fun story.

I was kinda tongue-in-cheek asking about the true hobo eperiences you had. Would some of your comic stories center around a hobo type character? Could be interesting with your true life experience...

18 hours ago, Jayman said:

I was kinda tongue-in-cheek asking about the true hobo eperiences you had. Would some of your comic stories center around a hobo type character? Could be interesting with your true life experience...

I've toyed with the idea of writing hobo stories but honestly I'm much more interested in science fiction, horror, fantasy... My experiences on the road with hardship, adventure, violence, love, etc. they all flavor the stories and characters that I write about.

I have made some over sized comic "strips" loosely based around my time as a hobo/street-kid. But they're hanging up in my room and are not for publication.

p.s. I knew you were kidding.  (winky-face)