• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting Stan Lee signature - rules, restrictions? questions

8 posts in this topic

Hello,  I am going to attend the Wizard World New Orleans Con to get Stan Lee to sign several books.

I have already purchased the Stan Lee VIP package, but still need to add more signatures to the order.  

The package comes with 1 signature, and I am going to want 4-5 signatures total.
I had hoped to wait until I was at the Con to add the other signatures, but do they either limit you to how many you can purchase or do they "run out" of signatures for the day (he is only attending on Saturday Jan. 6th.

I have heard that there are many restrictions when it comes to Stan Lee, I wondered if you could answer some questions so that I am prepared, and not caught off guard.

Please understand that I am not a dealer, I don't even buy new comics- nor have I attended many cons (I just have several nice comics I would really like him to sign while he is still around)
So the "rules" that come with meeting/getting some of the high profile artists to do signings are confusing to me.

Such as - I have heard that you can not speak to Stan Lee; you can not touch Stan Lee (meaning shake his hand), etc.
Are these statements true?  I get not touching him - he is 94 years old.  But not speaking to him???
Are there other restrictions that I should be aware of?

Most importantly to me is in regards to his actually signing books:
I have seen many people at Cons have their books bagged and boarded, but with windows cut out.
Either to protect the books edges from damage or to show specifically where they would like an artist to sign a book.
Are either of these scenarios permitted with Stan Lee signing books?

I am sure I have other questions, but answers to these would be a big help.
Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you
Ron

On 10/28/2017 at 10:31 PM, Page69 said:

I had hoped to wait until I was at the Con to add the other signatures, but do they either limit you to how many you can purchase or do they "run out" of signatures for the day (he is only attending on Saturday Jan. 6th.

I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THEM RUNNING OUT, BUT THE EARLIER YOU GET THERE THE BETTER WOULD BE MY ASSUMPTION. PLUS, HE'S NOT ALWAYS PUNCTUAL SO THE LINE (EVEN FOR VIP) CAN GET PRETTY LONG.

Such as - I have heard that you can not speak to Stan Lee; you can not touch Stan Lee (meaning shake his hand), etc.

YEAH... NO TOUCHING!  SOMETIMES HE'S GOOD FOR A FIST BUMP BUT HE (AND HIS HANDLERS) WONT LET YOU SHAKE HANDS ANYMORE.  TOO MANY GERMS.
THE WHOLE SIGNATURE LINE IS A FREAKING MACHINE-LIKE PROCESS.  USUALLY WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT 3-4 PEOPLE AWAY FROM HIM IN LINE YOU WILL:

1) HAND OVER YOUR TICKETS, 
2)THEN YOU HAND YOUR BOOKS TO THE HANDLERS. 
3)THE HANDLERS LINE YOUR BOOKS UP ON THE TABLE AND PUSH THEM DOWN TOWARDS STAN AS YOU ADVANCE.  
4) WHEN YOUR BOOKS MAKE IT IN FRONT OF HIM HE WILL BE ON AUTOPILOT AND SIGN THEM ALL PRETTY QUICKLY. 
NOTE:  IF THE BOOKS ARE "IMPORTANT" TO YOU OR ARE HIGH GRADES AND YOU PLAN ON SUBMITTING THEM TO CGC, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY SUGGEST WINDOW BAGGING THEM SO HE SIGNS EXACTLY WHERE YOU WANT HIM TO!!!  OTHERWISE HE MIGHT SIGN THEM ON SPIDER-MANS FACE OR UPSIDE DOWN!!! (IT'S HAPPENED SO MANY TIMES).  THERE WONT BE ANY TIME TO TALK TO HIM AND HE WONT REALLY ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS.  HE'S FOCUSED ON SIGNING AS MANY THINGS AS POSSIBLE ANS SO IS HIS STAFF.  THEY WANT YOU IN AND OUT AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE (OR FASTER).

Are there other restrictions that I should be aware of?

NO PHOTOGRAPHY.  
NO SELFIES.  
NO PICTURES OF HIM SIGNING YOUR BOOKS WHILE HE DOES IT.  
THEY HAVE "PHOTO OPS" IF YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR PICTURE WITH HIM.  IT'S LIKE $150 FOR AN 8x10.  (ALSO, NO TOUCHING AND NO POSING IN THOSE PICTURES EITHER!!! HE JUST SITS THERE WITH A SMILE)

Most importantly to me is in regards to his actually signing books:
I have seen many people at Cons have their books bagged and boarded, but with windows cut out.
Either to protect the books edges from damage or to show specifically where they would like an artist to sign a book.
Are either of these scenarios permitted with Stan Lee signing books?

YES. DO THIS.  THERE IS A POST ON "HOW TO PREP/BAG YOUR BOOKS FOR SIGNATURES."  READ IT AND DO IT EXACTLY LIKE THAT.  I ONCE HAD STAN SIGN THE BAG OF MY BOOK BECAUSE HE DIDN'T NOTICE THE WINDOW I CUT OUT.  HAD TO ASK THEM TO REDO IT.  ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU CUT OUT A BIG ENOUGH HOLE FOR THE SIGNATURE.  AT LEAST 4x4 INCHES.  HIS SIGNATURE IS PRETTY UNCLEAR/SLOPPY THESE DAYS.  GIVE HIM THE ROOM HE NEEDS TO MAKE IT CLEAR (HOPEFULLY).

IF YOU DO IT RIGHT THEN YOU CAN WATCH HIM WHILE HE SIGNS YOUR BOOKS.  HOPEFULLY HE'LL LOOK YOU IN THE EYE AND SMILE.  HE'S A NICE GUY, BUT WHEN HE'S WORKING, HE'S WORKING.

GOOD LUCK!

And absolutely Don't Have Fun!  It's a rule.  (Sorry, I'm a bit jaded from the last time I went, but the whole thing is just such an impersonal money grab).   Hope you have a different experience, and the sigs come out like you hoped. 

When I took my son to meet him, we were all herded through the long line like cattle.  I watched dozens in front of me have their books pushed in front of Stan who cranked out his sig without so much as looking up at them.  I could see the disappointment in many of their faces. 

Determined to elicit some type of response, I thanked him as he signed my books with, "Thanks from a long-time True Believer."  Yeah, kind of weak I know, but he did stop, look at me, and give an "Excelsior!" exclamation, much to the delight of my son and some of the people around us.

The biggest issue with creating the window on your comic is that Stan can hardly see. You will notice that many times someone is pointing as to where he should sign. He will sign over other signatures and such if you aren't specific. If that happens you can generally take the problem to Max and work out a resolution. Due to his advanced age, line and schedule delays can happen at any time. This happened in New Orleans but he was also nice enough to extend his time at the con for an extra day. It is fast because so many people want him to sign something and there are only so many hours in the day. Personally, I really don't see what Stan gets out of the experience, a mess load of money for sure but one would think that this would be the stage of his life in which to slow down a bit and enjoy every moment. I have met Stan 3 times in the last 5 years and I fail to see the fun in it for him. Then again, maybe all of these people crowding up to the table to see him is his thing.........who knows?

If you want to hear more from him, go to the panel but don't be too shocked if it is much of the standard -script that we have all heard over and over again in shows and comic documentaries.