• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How cheap are OA collectors?
2 2

154 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

One thing I've noticed is that it appears number of views and comments seem to be noticeably down in recent years, even on great new additions to CAF.  Am I wrong about that?  Are other platforms taking eyes away from CAF, or is there another theory?  Just curious.

Scott

At the time of posting this reply this sketch has 217 views & 7 comments http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1432014

It was posted to "Comic Book Sketches, Commissions & Autograph Prices" on Facebook at roughly the same time where it has 474 views & 88 comments.

Edited by Garf

48 minutes ago, Garf said:

At the time of posting this reply this sketch has 217 views & 7 comments http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1432014

It was posted to "Comic Book Sketches, Commissions & Autograph Prices" on Facebook at roughly the same time where it has 474 views & 88 comments.

That's my point regarding FB as being one of the two biggest reasons you've seen change. A view is a passing glance on someone's timeline and comment is a random millisecond consideration of a "thumbs up". And a few hours later your post is lost in the trashbin that is everything in FB's past. But it's a lot of fun getting those FB tingles telling you your post is getting liked the first 24 hours. You think about all the kids who will eventually take over our hobby who thrive in that arena and it doesn't seem far fetched that places like this board or CAF don't really stand a chance or maintaining thriving communities.

3 minutes ago, Bill Cox said:

That's my point regarding FB as being one of the two biggest reasons you've seen change. A view is a passing glance on someone's timeline and comment is a random millisecond consideration of a "thumbs up". And a few hours later your post is lost in the trashbin that is everything in FB's past. But it's a lot of fun getting those FB tingles telling you your post is getting liked the first 24 hours. You think about all the kids who will eventually take over our hobby who thrive in that arena and it doesn't seem far fetched that places like this board or CAF don't really stand a chance or maintaining thriving communities.

Currently people exist in both worlds, I haven't really seen that many places other than CAF where published OA really thrives. The FB feeds can be short lived and they also come with all the highs and lows of social media as well (i.e. popcorn fueled drama, you are at the mercy of the mods/admins, etc)... but they are currently lively so even though your recent post becomes yesterday's news it's part of a never ending procession you can interact with.

I see benefits to both worlds. I like the permanence of CAF and I don'[t always like the constant drone of certain social media. I do think that FB and Instagram are now really shining the spotlight on sketches & OA, I wonder if things are going to get a lot more competetive?

1 hour ago, Garf said:

Kind of what one would expect as a difference where one is a feed putting the piece in front of your face (and everyone else's face) when you scroll. The immediate impact is going to be more weighted that way, no question.

I belong to a bunch of groups like that on FB. I can NEVER seem to find stuff that was posted even 2 days before. Kind of sucks from that standpoint. 

CAF doesn't throw pieces at you as much as you discover pieces you want to see through searching or through the twice daily emails. 

However, I have pieces that have been up on CAF that get comments and likes and views 10 years down the line. 

I hope people don't sell out completely to the instant model. It seems so ephemeral. 

21 hours ago, Bill Cox said:

If you're blocked from all those resources this is not a CAF issue. It's a firewall issue from our end, ie we blocked you because someone at your IP (or once had your IP) was doing something wrong so you're prevented from accessing anything on our network, or conversely, your ISP and wifi blocked you all on it's own for it's own reasons. But it isn't a CAF issue and certainly isn't a malware issue. If CAF had malware anywhere on the site every browser on the planet would not allow anyone to visit the website. You can email me privately again and we can see if your wifi IP is being blocked.

Will do.

As far as I know, Facebook has seen a downturn in users recently, but there has been a rise in Instagram users (which they also own). I personally don't use Facebook, and many people I know have accounts but are tired of many facets of it / severely lowering their login time. That said... it is impossible to argue that people's attention hasn't been fractured across multiple mediums multiple times over the last decade. I think there is a backlash rising against all of that, people are tired of being constantly tuned in... I don't know where that is going to go, but I do think it is an actual phenomenon.

43 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

What's Facebook ? 

Am I the only one not on there ??

I used to be on there but the Facebook culture really turned me off.  Closed it and just follow a few artists from their blogs now.

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I hope people don't sell out completely to the instant model. It seems so ephemeral. 

It's horrible. Everything is instantly equal. Everything is equally worth nothing (ten seconds later). There's no sense of history, as everything is history (ten seconds later) and all equally uninteresting.

Just my pov, with an obvious bias against it all. Does society just race further down this path or stretch the band too far and rebound back in the other direction? Dunno, but I think the present direction is rather depressing and only becoming moreseo.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

It's horrible. Everything is instantly equal. Everything is equally worth nothing (ten seconds later). There's no sense of history, as everything is history (ten seconds later) and all equally uninteresting.

Just my pov, with an obvious bias against it all. Does society just race further down this path or stretch the band too far and rebound back in the other direction? Dunno, but I think the present direction is rather depressing and only becoming moreseo.

A boardie here once said that as a race we are not wired to handle the amount of instant attention and gratification that FB, etc, give us.     He's right.

47 minutes ago, Bronty said:

A boardie here once said that as a race we are not wired to handle the amount of instant attention and gratification that FB, etc, give us.     He's right.

I know that I'm definitely not. But what if you grow up on it as a given? Dunno. But I do know that every generation curses the generation/s that follow and fears their (immature) ascendancy. So nothing new there.

38 minutes ago, vodou said:

I know that I'm definitely not. But what if you grow up on it as a given? Dunno. But I do know that every generation curses the generation/s that follow and fears their (immature) ascendancy. So nothing new there.

Its not about the generation.... its about all of us, from grandparents to toddlers, not have been built for all this.        Not being ready to deal with the self-absorption that comes with it.    Again, from grannies to toddlers.    A societal change as opposed to a generational one.

On 10/31/2017 at 2:55 PM, stinkininkin said:

One thing I've noticed is that it appears number of views and comments seem to be noticeably down in recent years, even on great new additions to CAF.  Am I wrong about that?  Are other platforms taking eyes away from CAF, or is there another theory?  Just curious.

Scott

Not sure on the comments, but I remember that Bill changed the CAF settings some years back to only allow one view per IP address, so constantly refreshing the page wouldn't add to people's view counts. (Some people were abusing it to get their amateur art onto the main page for top viewed art) So now the view counts are more accurate, which does give the appearance of less views.

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

Its not about the generation.... its about all of us, from grandparents to toddlers, not have been built for all this.        Not being ready to deal with the self-absorption that comes with it.    Again, from grannies to toddlers.    A societal change as opposed to a generational one.

I understand completely what you're saying here, my only comment (maybe already apparent) was that humans are highly adaptive by nature. What doesn't "work" for anybody older than 25 (let's say) may work just fine for those under that number, the line of demarcation being growing up completely surrounded by constant connectivity, instant gratification and (unfortunately) the sense that everything is temporary, vapid, and superfluous. I mean - look how well we've all adapted to having insta-food, at any time and in any quantity, across the street or a short drive away (or delivered to use even!) Certainly not everybody's experience around the world, but we folks hanging out on Boards (or whatever) all day...not taking breaks to go hunt, gather, store enough meat for the winter. (And not missing or even thinking about that 'loss of deep experience'.) Right?

2 hours ago, Bill C said:

It was entertaining looking at the pretty much overnight massive decrease in view counts on some people's CAF. So obvious numbers were being inflated.

Why do people care - are they trying to use that data to say it is popular and therefore worth more or something of that nature?

3 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Why do people care - are they trying to use that data to say it is popular and therefore worth more or something of that nature?

There were some pieces that were either going to be or already for sale that would get GIGANTIC page view totals....and in the old system those would show up on the main page of CAF as "most views today" or "this week" etc. So, I guess, it was a sort of free advertising drawing more eyes towards those pieces if for nothing more than to see why it got so many views. 

number of views I never put much stock in- so even when Jim D had it all rigged to he got a gazillion views and Bill had to change it all as a result- I din't care all that much, but as a secondary consequence, fewer views meant fewer comments, and I find those much more illuminating and indicative of a particular piece of arts popularity - and those comments can spark all sorts of conversations, new information, deals, new friends, and maybe a few enemies.

I REALLY wish that CAF didn't inflate the comment count when you respond to a comment- I actually refrain from doing that so I don't get accused of inflating the number of comments on a piece, but I would participate more, and interact more with other CAF members if that was an option.