• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How cheap are OA collectors?
2 2

154 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Reader said:

I wouldn’t mind negative comments or critiques on any of the art I’ve posted to CAF, why would I take it personally, I didn’t draw it. A friend told me after meeting my wife that she was beautiful and I said thanks and strangely felt like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person after, like I created her.

Positive or negative comments are fine for me.  I just don’t care.  I wouldn’t even delete a negative comment.  Cause Murika! 

My favorite pieces (The Maxx) have one to five comments and I post something by Frank Miller and they start pouring in.  Sam Kieth needs love too!  Well he gets enough for his Marvel crud I guess.

Where is this Maxx piece you talk about? I want to make love to it on CAF if I haven't already :insane:

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Fair enough (to all of it, not just what I pulled out) but this does create the odd situation where an owner with few or no comments feels like people (The Group) may dislike their piece(s) because the silence (if you don't have something nice to say...) is deafening. There's a master's thesis in pysch for somebody in here somewhere!

I'd like to think that I collect cool pieces, that I have good tastes--well, the kind of tastes that my budget can afford--but I don't get a lot of comments. In fact, I'm very fortunate for those pieces of mine that get 2 or more comments. I've seen some cool pieces on CAF that have received no comments even though it's been posted for 8 years with like a thousand views. These pieces are often in the galleries of "quieter" collectors. Take a close look at who comments and it's the same collectors over and over. At my most cynical, the "silence" isn't "deafening," but rather it's because "you" aren't in The Circle, therefore it's not a reflection on one's tastes. At my most positive, there's a relatively small group of collectors who are active on CAF who take the time to participate in the hobby by leaving comments. I'm one of them. But as it has been established in this thread, there are collectors who don't pay for the Premium membership because all they want to do is post their art and want to do nothing else. By the way, for those you serial commentators--keep doing what you're doing! It's part of what makes CAF worthwhile! :foryou:

First off, thanks for the cross hatching explanation!

I can see both sides of the argument, and I am very keen to stress two points: 1) everybody should always be respectful when contributing to a public forum; and 2) just to set the record straight, I am a human being  so of course I absolutely love receiving one liner comments...keep them coming!

But I will give one last try to explain what I mean.  Let's take my most commented piece:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=962613

Here is what I would find an interesting string of comments:

1) Great piece from historic storyline!  There's some strong storytelling there, pity the characters in panel 1 and 2 are kind of small

2) Yeah, that's right, would probably be worth more with bigger shots! Still it works for that particular point of the story

3) Doesn't Phoenix look kind of ugly on panel 3?

4) That may be because Byrne was trying to depict a posessed character.  There may ne a Linda Blair / Exorcist reference there

5) And how about blank eyes, sometimes Byrne overdid with those

6) Fine with me, they work on evil Phoenix!

6) Interesting to note how at that stage Byrne had grown out of the Adams influence.  I prefer his earlier work though, more dynamic.  But Austin inks got to the most "organic" here

The responses may or may not come from me (that is kind of beyond the point).  But that would be an interesting read.

Of course not everybody has the time or inclination to contribute.  And, as I said, positive one liners are always appreciated!

Having said that, I will admit that probably CAF would not be the right place for this type of exchange.  I like the analogy to being in someone's house and criticisizing the host's art collection!

Maybe there could be one feature on CAF where once a month one collector agrees to put one piece up for public debate (properly moderated)?

Carlo

6 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

If you want to critique art, Deviantart has a feature to do just that. 

Great suggestion, just not for me---maybe I've misunderstood (haven't been there in years) but isn't it mostly artists posting their own art for comment/critique? (and in an overall 'new media' sort of way?)

My interest is in having a deeper discussion about collected art with other collectors, not artists (per se) about their own work or reading peer-review critiques. And strictly comic art, not "art overall".

I'll also suggest that like Carlo M...I feel there's an excellent chance that I'd learn to appreciate things differently if folks that "got" artists that I don't (currently) were to take the time to explain that appeal ("goodness") in terms other than "when I was twelve and Mom was working doubles six nights a week..." There's nothing wrong with that, we all get it (right?) and have our own version/s, but it's soooooo specifically personal that if you weren't there on that rainy day too, you may not probably will not "get" it. Not really, I mean, other than "yeah, that shared warm 'n fuzzy nostalgia...it be good..." Is this why the "hot" books of an era come back twenty years later to be the "hot" art...a lot of youngsters, rainy days, Mom working doubles, bought a lot of a specific book or run (that hit an entire demographic right in the gut for whatever reason, where others didn't) through a shared dynamic (latchkey isolation? and later...?...really good CBR reviews or something??) even though each individual had their own very individual reasons for grabbing that book that day and reading it cover to cover almost every day until the next issue came out a month later? Going out on a limb here but is maybe the End of Comics (yadda yadda yadda) going to be due to an entire generation (or two or three) already being so at ease with their smartphone isolation that the 'escape' of comics no longer holds that same psychological Linus's blanket touchstone appeal? If there's no wound, is the comic book bandaid needed, and if not...no 'collecting' anymore, followed by no '20 years later' aspects either?

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

Here is what I would find an interesting string of comments:

1) Great piece from historic storyline!  There's some strong storytelling there, pity the characters in panel 1 and 2 are kind of small

2) Yeah, that's right, would probably be worth more with bigger shots! Still it works for that particular point of the story

3) Doesn't Phoenix look kind of ugly on panel 3?

4) That may be because Byrne was trying to depict a posessed character.  There may ne a Linda Blair / Exorcist reference there

5) And how about blank eyes, sometimes Byrne overdid with those

6) Fine with me, they work on evil Phoenix!

6) Interesting to note how at that stage Byrne had grown out of the Adams influence.  I prefer his earlier work though, more dynamic.  But Austin inks got to the most "organic" here

Carlo, I'm with you, that would be a fun and illuminating comment thread!

I have not seen anyone say it, but can we be honest about negative comments?  It's money.

No one wants to get into negotiations with a deal or co-collector about selling their page, where a "name" in the hobby has talked about how panel 3 is weak, or the main figure has a finger that's off, or blah blah blah, that may be a flaw in the page that the potential buyer maybe never would have noticed that would lower the perceived value of the page.

All of a sudden your 14k McFarlane page no one's willing to pay 50% of that because no one realized (until a comments thread) that Spider-man has 6 toes.

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

I have not seen anyone say it, but can we be honest about negative comments?  It's money.

No one wants to get into negotiations with a deal or co-collector about selling their page, where a "name" in the hobby has talked about how panel 3 is weak, or the main figure has a finger that's off, or blah blah blah, that may be a flaw in the page that the potential buyer maybe never would have noticed that would lower the perceived value of the page.

All of a sudden your 14k McFarlane page no one's willing to pay 50% of that because no one realized (until a comments thread) that Spider-man has 6 toes.

Evil_Businessman.jpg.abcfc3fbfb480e789c8f5e897a2c4e57.jpg

Good responses in the thread and an enjoyable read. As much as I would like to see a forum that discusses the artistic merits of pieces, I don't think it would really work well. Comic art is by and large a production media and would have to be critiqued in that context much the same as graphic design (i.e. magazine ads, billboard design, etc.) in that does it convey the information in the best way possible is the primary goal as opposed to fine art (where the artist has less deadlines and constraints) where can I elicit a response from the viewer is the primary goal. Not to mention the varying styles, nostalgia biases, etc. that make objectivity that much more difficult. The ‘discussion in the living room’ method would be best or (to tie back to Felix’s latest podcast) comic art get-togethers .

23 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Yes, and I just added to that post that the guy who posted all those trash comments doesn't even have a single piece of artwork posted in his gallery on CAF. 

Smells like a guy who can't take it if it was returned to him.

I think I know who your talking about, never a nice word from M R?

2 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

I think I know who your talking about, never a nice word from M R?

I'm not sure...this guy has no name on his CAF. I believe the CAF name was "MacRay" until a couple of days ago, now it comes up as "Classified Unknown" in his comments. 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I'm not sure...this guy has no name on his CAF. I believe the CAF name was "MacRay" until a couple of days ago, now it comes up as "Classified Unknown" in his comments. 

Yep, that’s the one. Real winner ¬¬