• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics that are restored

5 posts in this topic

Are comics that are restored viewed as being worth less than comics that aren’t? IE a comic that is a 9.4 but has had some restoration done to it to make it that vs the same comic that is a 3.0 but has no restoration done to it. 

I know it’s based on personal preference but which one in your eyes would be worth more?

Edited by Max Vebaneta

Depends on many factors.  Some book of certain grades present better than others.  Some folks don't like stains or subscription creases, others don't mind as long as there are no large pieces missing.  Page quality is also important to many collectors.  Resto is the same....trimming is a BIG no no for me but a little color touch is do-able.  Some people don't like pieces added.  Extensiveness of the resto matters too.  Just too many variables to make such a call without specifics. 

Edited by Mystafo

2 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Depends on many factors.  Some book of certain grades present better than others.  Some folks don't like stains or subscription creases, others don't mind as long as there are no large pieces missing.  Page quality is also important to many collectors.  Resto is the same....trimming is a BIG no no for me but a little color touch is do-able.  Some people don't like pieces added.  Extensiveness of the resto matters too.  Just too many variables to make such a call without specifics. 

Nicely put @Mystafo. I'm interested - what exactly is it about trimming that puts you off over other forms of restoration? Many AF15's look like they've been trimmed, but haven't. Collectors will say things like "it looks like it may have been trimmed" when they aren't sure. If you own one, send it in and it comes back a blue label,  you're happy. If the same book comes back purple, the world falls in. It seems odd for it to be hated so when other resto types are so much more in your face? What sayeth thou? 

The big factor is if the restoration on your book can be removed. And if so, if everything removed drops the book down to a universal label, is it higher than your 3.0? If the 9.4 drops to an 8.0 due to some color touch being scraped or tear seals being opened, then it's better to have the restored book and have restoration removed. If it is extensive, most likely removing everything will ruin the book well below the 3.0.