• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic interior importance?

9 posts in this topic

Random newbish question - so far, all the CGC grader notes I've seen justifying lower ratings cite factors affecting the front or back cover of a book. I'm yet to see a note like "page 7 torn" or "two interior pages marked with a pen", etc.

When it comes to CGCing a book, is the condition of an intact and whole comic considered hugely important? Is the cover the main thing that's reviewed, or is each page actually treated with equal scrutiny?

I guess since the only visible parts of a CGCed book are the covers, it kinda makes sense that their condition is considered priority. On the other hand, surely a collector of comics would want a grade based on the quality of the entire book, not just the cover?

23 minutes ago, Casby said:

Random newbish question - so far, all the CGC grader notes I've seen justifying lower ratings cite factors affecting the front or back cover of a book. I'm yet to see a note like "page 7 torn" or "two interior pages marked with a pen", etc.

When it comes to CGCing a book, is the condition of an intact and whole comic considered hugely important? Is the cover the main thing that's reviewed, or is each page actually treated with equal scrutiny?

I guess since the only visible parts of a CGCed book are the covers, it kinda makes sense that their condition is considered priority. On the other hand, surely a collector of comics would want a grade based on the quality of the entire book, not just the cover?

I've seen several note entries citing a torn page ("5th page two inch tear" or "Portion of page 7 missing, does not affect story") etc on books that appear as if they should have a higher grade.  I'm not 100% positive but I think I've also seen this mentioned on the label itself.  Either way, this is one of the main reasons why I buy the graders notes for nearly every purchase.  Another one to watch out for is staple rust.  This is referenced in the notes but not on the label.  

Edited by comicquant

They definitely factor interior defects into grade, but you'll typically have to buy, or have, the graders notes ... it seems the lower the grade of the book overall the less likely they are to put interior defects (like detached centerfold etc) on a label note.  I don't know that there's a hard rule but it seems like anything 7.0 or better gets a label note on the interior defects.

And yes, rusted staples are not penalized by cgc as much as many people would like...so it's a good idea to get the graders notes even on 8.0 or better books...if the staples aren't visible in the scan and their condition matters to you.

23 hours ago, comicquant said:

I've seen several note entries citing a torn page ("5th page two inch tear" or "Portion of page 7 missing, does not affect story") etc on books that appear as if they should have a higher grade.  I'm not 100% positive but I think I've also seen this mentioned on the label itself.  

Yes, mentioned on the label...................

TTA#93.jpg

Here is another example of noting interior defects on the label:

PlanetComics10cgc50front_zps6443acbd.jpg

I do have a strong opinion that I think the graders notes should be on the label. Perhaps it could be on the back of the label in place of all the legal jargon CGC puts there.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

Here is another example of noting interior defects on the label:

PlanetComics10cgc50front_zps6443acbd.jpg

I do have a strong opinion that I think the graders notes should be on the label. Perhaps it could be on the back of the label in place of all the legal jargon CGC puts there.

Love that Planet. Never saw it before. Since all our examples are Old Labels I'm beginning to wonder if they still note interior defects with new submissions. I used to see notation about staple rust on the old labels but they stopped that years ago. Totally agree with you about displaying the notes on the back of the label but I don't think it will happen. I also think, with certain defects, it would be the kiss of death for certain books = lots of complaints . Having the notes on the BC would, if anything, force Clink to show us a BC pic, LOL.

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Love that Planet. Never saw it before. Since all our examples are Old Labels I'm beginning to wonder if they still note interior defects with new submissions. I used to see notation about staple rust on the old labels but they stopped that years ago. Totally agree with you about displaying the notes on the back of the label but I don't think it will happen. I also think, with certain defects, it would be the kiss of death for certain books = lots of complaints . Having the notes on the BC would, if anything, force Clink to show us a BC pic, LOL.

I agree with you. That said perhaps not including the detailed graders notes is also a way of hiding internal defects.

I had a Startling Terror Tales 11 that presents beautifully, yet only graded as a 4.5 due to back cover pieces missing and an interior page that looks like someone spilled their spaghetti all over it. To me this defect should be disclosed on the label. From this point forward I may be the only person who knows that defect is there because I am the original submitter. Not disclosing is = to misrepresenting as well.

5907d98f5e26a_SartlingTerrorTales11_thumb_jpg_c9019c93fbd838f2a2c0983f865c9b3d.jpg

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I agree with you. That said perhaps not including the detailed graders notes is also a way of hiding internal defects.

I had a Startling Terror Tales 11 that presents beautifully, yet only graded as a 4.5 due to back cover pieces missing and an interior page that looks like someone spilled their spaghetti all over it. To me this defect should be disclosed on the label. From this point forward I may be the only person who knows that defect is there because I am the original submitter. Not disclosing is = to misrepresenting as well.

5907d98f5e26a_SartlingTerrorTales11_thumb_jpg_c9019c93fbd838f2a2c0983f865c9b3d.jpg

Wow, another great book. There may also be some liability issues with displaying notes on the label. Presently, notes can be vague and not very thorough. If displayed on the label, people would want 100% accuracy. Because we have to pay for them, most notes probably go unread. If on the label, everybody reads it and CGC may be held to a higher standard, more accountable. I can't think of a single business reason why they would agree to put it on the label.