• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Finest in the World! Worlds Finest 40-80
1 1

200 posts in this topic

:popcorn:

Torture me...I've been trying to get a non-collector in my area to part with a stack of WF from that very era (plus a few either side) for over a year now....he found them while cleaning out his parents' house, but he's a car guy and wants to parse the antique car parts that he found first... :tonofbricks:

10 hours ago, Readcomix said:

:popcorn:

Torture me...I've been trying to get a non-collector in my area to part with a stack of WF from that very era (plus a few either side) for over a year now....he found them while cleaning out his parents' house, but he's a car guy and wants to parse the antique car parts that he found first... :tonofbricks:

Sounds like your offer isn't high enough to pique his interest.  What are his antique car parts selling for?  Once your offer on the box exceeds what he'll get for any of the remaining parts, the comics will move to the head of the line quickly enough.

10 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Sounds like your offer isn't high enough to pique his interest.  What are his antique car parts selling for?  Once your offer on the box exceeds what he'll get for any of the remaining parts, the comics will move to the head of the line quickly enough.

I'm not being cheap. A small stack of WF comics (non keys, not exceptional grade) just can't equal a barn full of parts. You would think he would take the cash and go focus on what he finds to be fun, but people can be strange (shrug)

10 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I originally was just going to collect 50-70. But along the way (I’ve been on this run since 2005) I expanded to 50-80 and then decided to go back to 40-80

here is the first issue of my run 40

128AA6A3-9DCD-4EE8-A028-83C14E31671E.jpeg

:luhv:  That is a real tough one.  1st date night cover

A general comment about this run of books. They are generally tough to find in most any decent grade. Many of my copies started out as 2.5s that I was happy to upgrade to 4.0s that I was fortunate to upgrade to 6.0s. I’d ideally like all in 7.5 or higher but a few I have are still low grade and I’ve not been able to upgrade in a dozen years!

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

WF is under-appreciated, and i don't understand why when both of the main characters are otherwise popular in their own books...

I think part of it may be that most of the covers on the oversized issues are mostly meant to be funny, which can be a cardinal sin to a lot of collectors.  Even worse, most of them aren't actually funny... it's hard to get a good gag that works for Superman/ Batman/ Robin all at the same time.

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

A general comment about this run of books. They are generally tough to find in most any decent grade. Many of my copies started out as 2.5s that I was happy to upgrade to 4.0s that I was fortunate to upgrade to 6.0s. I’d ideally like all in 7.5 or higher but a few I have are still low grade and I’ve not been able to upgrade in a dozen years!

I'm delighted you are posting these Rick. By sheer chance I was thinking of them, and wondering if you are still collecting 'em. the reason I was thinking of them is because I  collect various reprint editions - archives, masterworks and omnibi, and I was thinking of the absences unlikely to be filled, WF of this period chief among them. Is it possible to share any splash pages of secondary features?

Thanks for posting, Rick.  Looking forward to seeing the rest.

I went a different route.  Decided to go for the early WF cardboard covers, adding NYWF ‘39 and ‘40 as they seemed a natural fit.  Was able to pick up a decent chunk of them in one of the Sotheby’s auctions.  But the run you’re posting is challenging and I know  you appreciate a challenge.

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I'm delighted you are posting these Rick. By sheer chance I was thinking of them, and wondering if you are still collecting 'em. the reason I was thinking of them is because I  collect various reprint editions - archives, masterworks and omnibi, and I was thinking of the absences unlikely to be filled, WF of this period chief among them. Is it possible to share any splash pages of secondary features?

While I bought most all raw, every copy is currently certified :(