• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Finest in the World! Worlds Finest 40-80
1 1

200 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2017 at 2:18 AM, OtherEric said:
On 11/1/2017 at 11:57 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

WF is under-appreciated, and i don't understand why when both of the main characters are otherwise popular in their own books...

I think part of it may be that most of the covers on the oversized issues are mostly meant to be funny, which can be a cardinal sin to a lot of collectors.  Even worse, most of them aren't actually funny... it's hard to get a good gag that works for Superman/ Batman/ Robin all at the same time.

That's it.  I think collectors haven't been too excited by the funny DC covers across the titles.  That the WF covers are nearly all meant to be funny has held the series back, imo, although the first issues and the war covers seem to attract interest. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

That's it.  I think collectors haven't been too excited by the funny DC covers across the titles.  That the WF covers are nearly all meant to be funny has held the series back, imo, although the first issues and the war covers seem to attract interest. 

I think #7 is the best WF cover of all...

23 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yes, although All-Flash started out somewhat serious. I always thought the Winky, Blinky and Nod characters really hurt the Flash stories; similar with GL and Doiby. 

Sidekicks and silliness were an important element in selling comics to kids in the 1940s.  Just look at some of the popular movies of the day, like the Bowery Boys, Ma and Pa Kettle, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, and Abbott and Costello.  It might not appeal to us collectors now, but it fits with the mentality of the times. 

4 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:
On 11/7/2017 at 5:37 AM, G.A.tor said:

Here’s 47

9691A51C-F1CA-4392-B4A8-0E62335BCD33.jpeg

This may be the silliest cover to date in this run!!

You may be right, but the competition is pretty intense. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
8 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:37 AM, G.A.tor said:

Here’s 47

9691A51C-F1CA-4392-B4A8-0E62335BCD33.jpeg

This may be the silliest cover to date in this run!!

You may be right, but the competition is pretty intense. 

This was probably from the era when roller derby was popular.  I can remember it on the tube in the 60's.   And of course I remember that Raquel Welch movie "Kansas city bombers" that was released back then.  Perhaps roller skating was has elevated historical importance, that todays youth cannot grasp.