• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Finest in the World! Worlds Finest 40-80
1 1

200 posts in this topic

This is going to be a great thread Rick. You never see these books. And this title has a long storied history being sold up through the eighties and even going back to the giant size format for awhile at the end of the run. Certainly an unappreciated series! Thanks for posting.

Speaking of years to upgrade...a few years ago in San Diego Dr Love showed some of us this next book...I had never seen a copy in the market higher than a 4.0 since I started the run in 2005 

So happy he remembered my request to let me buy it recently 

14473F33-9186-4F2C-8D44-3B3C82844878.jpeg

:applause:to you and Dr. Love.

The Wyoming Kid had started in Western Comics in Jan-Feb 1948 so in the matter of a little over a year, he proved popular enough to get added to WF and gets cover billing over Green Arrow or Zatara who are also part of the line-up of this issue. He'll stay in the line-up until issue # 64 in May-June 1953 which lines up neatly with the rise and the height of the Western craze. [Thanks to the GCD for providing date cut-off easily]

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I'm curious G.A.tor...why did you start the run with #40?  Why not #30? I mean, what's not to like about this cover?

16357812098_44d28a2105_c.jpg

I collect 1950s dc. 30s were from the 1940s. I went back to 40 to be “even”

On 11/3/2017 at 6:12 AM, G.A.tor said:

Speaking of years to upgrade...a few years ago in San Diego Dr Love showed some of us this next book...I had never seen a copy in the market higher than a 4.0 since I started the run in 2005 

So happy he remembered my request to let me buy it recently 

That is a really cool book!

I wonder what the thinking was at DC on World's Finest and Comic Cavalcade? It almost seems like these books were aimed at a younger audience based on the cover content.  Contrast these covers with the more serious themes on Action and Detective of the same period. I don't believe the interior stories were much different than the other series though; so it is an interesting approach for the two giant size books in the line up.

22 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I wonder what the thinking was at DC on World's Finest and Comic Cavalcade? It almost seems like these books were aimed at a younger audience based on the cover content.  Contrast these covers with the more serious themes on Action and Detective of the same period. I don't believe the interior stories were much different than the other series though; so it is an interesting approach for the two giant size books in the line up.

Crossed my mind too...similar pattern with Flash and All-Flash too.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For not being a high grade guy, you sure have some high grade copies. :applause:

Some ...but I did preface this thread saying I was trying to get all my copies in 7.5 or higher. Something that, as you follow this journey with me, you will see that I have not been able to accomplish. All of these books are easy to find in 2.5-4.0. But the “challenge” (and it is well documented I love a challenge) is finding in mid high grade or better.