• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Finest in the World! Worlds Finest 40-80
1 1

200 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

We seem to have lost the ability to see some of the issues. Anyway the 51 shows up and exhibits a return to a more serious cover content. Quite a nice cover too. Any idea why the issues in the 50's might be so hard to come by in grade vs. earlier issues?

Most superhero comics from the 1950s are tougher due to declining production and declining quality

11 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Rick, the 52 has staples on the cover showing. Does this represent a change in binding technique? Are the other giant issues in the series all bound the same or do variations occur over time?

All the post issues are stapled, yes

Edited by G.A.tor

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

The next 5 or 6 books I got lucky many years ago and found a small OO collection being sold on eBay. Had WF 53-59 all in really nice shape. 

I sent them for pressing and the 57 got “damaged” so the one I have now is not part of the OO run, but others are

starting with 53

800000A7-074C-40D4-B042-4B594D0B40AA.jpeg

What happens when you send a book to be pressed and it gets damaged?  Who pays?  Was it the post office's fault or the presser?

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

What happens when you send a book to be pressed and it gets damaged?  Who pays?  Was it the post office's fault or the presser?

In this case there was some substance on the cover that got stuck to the exchange paper and ripped the cover post pressing. The pressor gave me value diff credit in pressing fees (this was 10 years ago when pressing was less publicly prevalent )

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Thanks.  I just wonder how much responsibility pressers have to the owner of a book they destroy.  What would happen today if that was the case?  Would they have to pay full value of the book, or do they make you agree to a hold harmless agreement? 

I’m guessing most are insured 

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

The next 5 or 6 books I got lucky many years ago and found a small OO collection being sold on eBay. Had WF 53-59 all in really nice shape. 

I sent them for pressing and the 57 got “damaged” so the one I have now is not part of the OO run, but others are

starting with 53

800000A7-074C-40D4-B042-4B594D0B40AA.jpeg

You're Superman, Batman, and Robin and this is the best idea you can come up with to rescue a girl from a canoe? :taptaptap:

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You're Superman, Batman, and Robin and this is the best idea you can come up with to rescue a girl from a canoe? :taptaptap:

Yes...surely there’s not a better way?

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes...surely there’s not a better way?

Maybe they were trying to impress her with the difficulty of it. hm

2 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Funny covers...remember?  FUNNY covers...

I would put it: Covers trying to be funny.

Edited by Sqeggs
But ... but ... I had a typo

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

There, fixed that for you...try to spell check so i can figure out your jokes... :baiting:

I knew you'd finally do something for me if I waited long enough!

Wait, you have done stuff for me ... but not in the last couple of weeks. hm