• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Printing error books

37 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've been a collector of romance comics for a little while and I came across a classic soda shop cover that I really loved. Upon researching the book, I discovered that the cover of the book was wildly miscolored due to what I could only assume was a printing error. So, I went out and found myself a regular version of the book to compare. (Attached to this post are photos of both books) The regular cover is the blue hair, the misprint cover is the magenta hair. As you can see, everything is just a shade or three lighter than what it's supposed to be.

Is this rare? does this increase the value of a book? If it helps, there isn't even one of these on the census. 

I'm a little bummed because the misprint book is in amazing shape, save one page that is detached. :(

Thanks for your time everybody!

IMG_1090.jpg

Edited by Devin Tuck
adding more tags.

That's a pretty nifty comparison.

Most books printed have slight variations during the print run as ink goes low or out.  I have a bunch of Charltons that I've been sorting through, and the differences between "identical" books are interesting.

There are probably a few where value is affected, like FF 110, where there was an actual color misprint/mistake on part of the publisher's run.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

That's a pretty nifty comparison.

Most books printed have slight variations during the print run as ink goes low or out.  I have a bunch of Charltons that I've been sorting through, and the differences between "identical" books are interesting.

There are probably a few where value is affected, like FF 110, where there was an actual color misprint/mistake on part of the publisher's run.

Sometimes I list books on ebay BIN around midnight, and the next day I can see how many views.  Typically "views" are around 1-4 the next morning.   But in Sept I listed a lot called "Fantastic Four 109 110 111 113" along with other FFs and misc.  When I happened to check the latest round I added, less than an hour after first listing it, the counter showed over 45 views for that batch of FFs (while, e.g., the one with FF 105-108, had 1-2 views).

Knowledgeable people are really out there hunting ebay new BIN listings for oddballs like this that are underpriced, I assume everyone was checking the cover of my 110 to see if it was pink Jonny and Sue at bottom left- but it wasn't.

Just now, grebal said:

Mike is awesome, sorry I missed that one, glad you got it!

I've gotten tons of nice books from him, especially after the old/new slab fiasco when he was dumping the no-inner-well books.  I wish he had more sales around here.  He did show up in my war thread to purchase a book a few weeks ago.

Surprisingly, I don't recall much interest in the FF 110 when he posted and sold that.  I pm'd him and worked out time payments. 

Maybe, like other things, the market has warmed up.  Likethe "pro-code whoor comics" (as jimmers' wife calls them) are skyrocketing out of sight.

10 hours ago, Devin Tuck said:

Hello all,

I've been a collector of romance comics for a little while and I came across a classic soda shop cover that I really loved. Upon researching the book, I discovered that the cover of the book was wildly miscolored due to what I could only assume was a printing error. So, I went out and found myself a regular version of the book to compare. (Attached to this post are photos of both books) The regular cover is the blue hair, the misprint cover is the magenta hair. As you can see, everything is just a shade or three lighter than what it's supposed to be.

Is this rare? does this increase the value of a book? If it helps, there isn't even one of these on the census. 

I'm a little bummed because the misprint book is in amazing shape, save one page that is detached. :(

Thanks for your time everybody!

IMG_1090.jpg

Wow, that sure is an interesting variation in the colors. My first thought is the one book is faded, but that's not it as the Reds and yellows in and around the logo are consistent. It's like  the blues have been switched to reds in the second one or the blues are very weak. Hopefully someone with some knowledge of the printing process of these books will weigh in on how this could have happened.

Update: After doing a little research myself into the 4 color printing process, this looks to be simply a case of the weakening of the intensity of the blue (cyan) ink, probably caused by the blue (cyan) ink running out during the print run. Brown is made by combining blue (cyan), red (magenta) and yellow. You take the blue(cyan) down and it turns orange/red. The dark blue in the hair and bracelet are made by combining blue (cyan) and red (magenta). Take the blue (cyan) down and you are left with what you see in the hair and bracelet. It's amazing how just a little change in the blue (cyan) ink like that,  caused such a huge change in the final colors. 

Edited by Jaylam

28 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

that's awesome! looks great!

Thanks! it is also very high grade, with very bright colors ( especially on the inside cover ) and the structure is exceptional. Razor sharp corners and zero spine dings.

I argue it may be the highest grade copy out there, but I don't send it in because the off-set printing error books get qualified label.

50 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

my personal favorite for printing error. It has a double cover, and the color printing is off register.

Wow, that looks awesome. To me, it looks like it should be 3-D, which fits the sci-fi theme and general time period.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:01 PM, Jaylam said:

Wow, that sure is an interesting variation in the colors. My first thought is the one book is faded, but that's not it as the Reds and yellows in and around the logo are consistent. It's like  the blues have been switched to reds in the second one or the blues are very weak. Hopefully someone with some knowledge of the printing process of these books will weigh in on how this could have happened.

Update: After doing a little research myself into the 4 color printing process, this looks to be simply a case of the weakening of the intensity of the blue (cyan) ink, probably caused by the blue (cyan) ink running out during the print run. Brown is made by combining blue (cyan), red (magenta) and yellow. You take the blue(cyan) down and it turns orange/red. The dark blue in the hair and bracelet are made by combining blue (cyan) and red (magenta). Take the blue (cyan) down and you are left with what you see in the hair and bracelet. It's amazing how just a little change in the blue (cyan) ink like that,  caused such a huge change in the final colors. 

Interesting! I had no idea, thanks for looking into it. I've been trying to figure out what could have happened.

Here's an interesting FF #182 that I just found - kind of a nice companion piece to the FF #110. Only the pages shown have the printing error with the rest being normal. Anyone else seen this or something like it before?

1012480355_o.jpg

1012533339_o.jpg

Edited by Real Frantic One

5 minutes ago, Real Frantic One said:

Here's an interesting FF #182 that I just found - kind of a nice companion piece to the FF #110. Only the pages shown have the printing error with the rest being normal. Anyone else seen this or something like it before?

1012480355_o.jpg

1012533339_o.jpg

That's really nice. Books with internal printing errors are hard to find for obvious reasons. My ASM #5 has a similar error - the colours are the wrong way around. Very cool book to find and a new one on me. Well done

58f4b1fe22f7b_5GreenSpidey.jpg.dc40cfacba2551d7a2d212f9575597ae.thumb.jpg.2aa9242e64f46652cbb26814508c2daa.jpg

On 11/1/2017 at 4:19 PM, lizards2 said:

Can we see any liz? 

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Can we see any liz? 

I would love too, but I am perpetually short of time.  That being said, I just picked four new Chuckton Flash Gordon's in CGC 9.4/9.6, so I will probably have more examples soon...,