• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your 1 Grail
4 4

120 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2017 at 4:35 PM, stinkininkin said:

I wouldn't have a clue about how to only pick one thing.  There must be something broken inside me.

Scott

I can't think of one thing, but I'd be hard pressed to find the one perfect piece. There are to many I like, but I can't imagine an offer that would make me move my Superman.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:35 PM, stinkininkin said:

I wouldn't have a clue about how to only pick one thing.  There must be something broken inside me.

Scott

Oh, Scott, if you ever would like to ink a Swan Superman on blue line for fun or profit, please let me know!

Edited by alxjhnsn

What if she has an itch on the back of her knee?  The mind boggles.

I would just about kill to be able to see one of those constructive criticism letters from Toth to Liefeld about his work.  It doesn't exist, but in the alternate reality of my mind (different alternate reality that the one in which people are shaped as above), surely there is such a thing just waiting to be discovered?  

And not for nothing... there was a time around say 2000 when Liefeld's work was dirt cheap and NO ONE would go anywhere near his table at SDCC, where I thought it might be funny to buy one of his super jacked up pages for a couple hundred bucks, just to break out at parties and the like. Looking back now that I am older and more mature, part of me thinks that sounds cruel. The other part still thinks it'd be funny.

7 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

What if she has an itch on the back of her knee?  The mind boggles.

I would just about kill to be able to see one of those constructive criticism letters from Toth to Liefeld about his work.  It doesn't exist, but in the alternate reality of my mind (different alternate reality that the one in which people are shaped as above), surely there is such a thing just waiting to be discovered?  

And not for nothing... there was a time around say 2000 when Liefeld's work was dirt cheap and NO ONE would go anywhere near his table at SDCC, where I thought it might be funny to buy one of his super jacked up pages for a couple hundred bucks, just to break out at parties and the like. Looking back now that I am older and more mature, part of me thinks that sounds cruel. The other part still thinks it'd be funny.

I think it can become mean at times, but... some things are so absurd, what are you supposed to do? Act like it isn't way far off the edge of the curve? It isn't like this was some experimental art project, it is mainstream pop media produced for the general public - being amused is not a sign of ignorance in this instance. When someone misses the mark so widely, it should be fine to say so, and yes, even to poke fun at as long as it doesn't drift into bullying or personal attacks. Just my opinion as a consumer of this medium.

I have resigned myself to the fact that grails are a tier of art and not just a single piece. In 2017 I Acquired a beautiful Jim Lee Justice League page. While I would love to have a Dark Knight Page the art that would mean the most to me is to have pieces by Jim Aparo my favorite and definitive Batman artist. He drew Batman 442 which was my first comic. I  would do anything to have a page from that issue or a page that would feature Batman Unmasked drawn by Aparo. Alas I got into the game too late. I know there are Aparo Batman pages out there but they are no longer cheap and a lot of them are still with the estate and may never be released...This post is becoming depressing...Sorry about that. But I will not give up I know I will eventually get an Aparo Batman page SDCC is only five months away and believe me I will be looking.

IMG_0020.JPG

On 2/8/2018 at 11:04 AM, comicfanboy007 said:

I have resigned myself to the fact that grails are a tier of art and not just a single piece. In 2017 I Acquired a beautiful Jim Lee Justice League page. While I would love to have a Dark Knight Page the art that would mean the most to me is to have pieces by Jim Aparo my favorite and definitive Batman artist. He drew Batman 442 which was my first comic. I  would do anything to have a page from that issue or a page that would feature Batman Unmasked drawn by Aparo. Alas I got into the game too late. I know there are Aparo Batman pages out there but they are no longer cheap and a lot of them are still with the estate and may never be released...This post is becoming depressing...Sorry about that. But I will not give up I know I will eventually get an Aparo Batman page SDCC is only five months away and believe me I will be looking.

IMG_0020.JPG

There are a number of Aparo Batman pages coming up at the next HA weekly auction. 

By the way, Aparo did a huge amount of art. If that's your grail, you'll get it eventually.

If I had to name one grail for myself, it would be a Miller DPS from 300. The book is very personal to me. The way I came across the first issue in the desert of 29 Palms and everything that was going on in my life at the time I was reading it. It is the very last comic book I’ve read where I counted the days until the release of the next issue. Years later, my wife and I were going back and forth on names for our daughter. Couldn’t agree on anything. I flopped down on the couch and grabbed my collected 300 hardback to read again. I opened it to chapter one and a word jumped off the page.

I said, “Baby, what do you think about.....”  and my wife loved it.

8810B13D-5554-4724-B17B-CBF22A483911.jpeg